+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Advice in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hey, One of my mates is trying to get into IT weather it be within education or industry, now I ...
    Thank Post

Advice

Hey, One of my mates is trying to get into IT weather it be within education or industry, now I know that he is able to do the job, he learns quick willing undertake any training and any job that comes his way. And i was wondering is there any advice I could give him in which way to go about getting the experience he needs to do the job, he has assisted me in an install i did, but hasn't got any experience of doing the actual day to day work. he has a few quals and is studying towards some more, what advice could i give him to help him work towards that IT job?

Cheers Guys

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    IT weather is difficult to get into without a degree and probably a masters

3. 3 Thanks to Midget:

bossman (9th September 2009), dalsoth (9th September 2009), ICT_GUY (10th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Midget, behave yourself!

OP, your mate probably needs to look into some college courses... and decide what interests him. IT is a huge field and covers everything from programming and web design to crawling under desks and in roof voids (otherwise known as network cabling!) Deciding what actually interests you is the first hurdle.

The job market is very thin at the moment, but get him to keep trawling the local papers, etc for junior positions that have potential. He's starting at the bottom, so his first job expectations should not be placed too high.

If your mate already had a good deal of practical knowledge, then setting himself up as a 'Mr Fix IT' - going out to people's homes to sort out their spyware-ridden kit, or install wifi - advertise in the local paper or with leaflets through doors is another option.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    If your mate already had a good deal of practical knowledge, then setting himself up as a 'Mr Fix IT' - going out to people's homes to sort out their spyware-ridden kit, or install wifi - advertise in the local paper or with leaflets through doors is another option.

I might actually do this last bit myself, get myself a little extra cash. Thanks for the feedback, i think he is interested in the web design and wants to look into the technical side / networking part of the job in the future. but its all about getting that first opportunity really.

Thank Post

Talking Apprenticeship

Hi There,
    How old is your friend who is trying to get into ICT? if he is aged around 18-21 the course I am doing at the moment could be great for him, I go to college one day a week carrying out a L3 NVQ for IT Professionals and a CCNA Cisco qualification. The course lasts three years, in my third year I carry out my foundation degree. You could also get in touch with training providers i.e. NLTG?
    Hope that was sort of helpful
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    Hey, One of my mates is trying to get into IT weather it be within education or industry, now I know that he is able to do the job, he learns quick willing undertake any training and any job that comes his way. And i was wondering is there any advice I could give him in which way to go about getting the experience he needs to do the job, he has assisted me in an install i did, but hasn't got any experience of doing the actual day to day work. he has a few quals and is studying towards some more, what advice could i give him to help him work towards that IT job?

Cheers Guys
    Has he thought about doing the CompTIA A+ ? This is a pretty good starting certificate of competence. It is quite generic and covers a lot of the stuff he would cover in employment. A lot of companies ask for at least this qualification, it's not too expensive either.

Good luck to your friend

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oalcock View Post
    Hi There,
    How old is your friend who is trying to get into ICT? if he is aged around 18-21 the course I am doing at the moment could be great for him, I go to college one day a week carrying out a L3 NVQ for IT Professionals and a CCNA Cisco qualification. The course lasts three years, in my third year I carry out my foundation degree. You could also get in touch with training providers i.e. NLTG?
    Hope that was sort of helpful
    Thanks
    He's actually over 30 Has just decided he wants to go into IT but like i said its finding that first step really, i was lucky i mangaed to get an apprenticeship when i was 21 to get me started just coming to the end of it now, but only did my placement for 8 months and got a decent job.

Thank Post
    ... if he is aged around 18-21 the course I am doing at the moment could be great for him ...
    Why is his age relevant?

Thank Post
    Well the course that I go on is only for 18-21 year olds and I was explaining the course I am on, hence the age is a relevant aspect!!

Thank Post
    OK - the reason for mentioning age wasn't clear though, but it is now! I'm sure you realise that my concern was the implication that the "L3 NVQ for IT Professionals and a CCNA Cisco qualification" course was only suitable for 18 - 21 year olds. I got my CCNA about 2 months ago and am working towards MCSA/MCSE now. As a "mature" member of this forum, when age crops up, it is of personal interest.

Thank Post
    The gentleman was kind enough to tell me his friends age as he obviously understood the reason why I asked for it. Thanks for your reply

Thank Post
    The gentleman was kind enough to tell me his friends age as he obviously understood the reason why I asked for it. Thanks for your reply
    OOOOO Gentleman, never been called that before :P

Usually just get that guy, or the other one haha

Cheers tho

Thank Post
    It's better than "pain in the ...." im referred as

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread