+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Good or Bad? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Just found out that our school is to be merged with another school nearby - in about 4-5 years time ...

Thank Post

Good or Bad?

Just found out that our school is to be merged with another school nearby - in about 4-5 years time

Both schools are to be closed and re-opened - with a capacity of 1500 - ours is currently 1200..

Don't like the sound of this as there is already an ICT Network Manager there..

Think I may have to start looking about elsewhere

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Good or Bad?

In theroy while they get rid your job they can redefine your job but to certain degree you need to starting talking to your union asap about it.......

Russ

Thank Post

There is a 6 week consultation period now, but yeah plan to talk to the union rep tomorrow as soon as i can - though i think there will be a queue at his door!

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt
    Don't like the sound of this as there is already an ICT Network Manager there..

Think I may have to start looking about elsewhere
    Bad news, I know but they might be just as worried about this as you are - maybe it's you who'll end up with that one job?

Thank Post

well we may all be in a similar boat soon. The governments latest thinking is a program BSF "building schools for the future". As part of the requirements for schools/LEAs to tap into the funding (several billion pounds I believe) is that school ICT support is provided via a managed service. They think that it is the only way to garentee quaility but from what I've seen it will just drag everyones flexibility and inavation down. 8O

As for your personal problem if the merger is in 4-5 years time the chances are they will need twice the ICT support they have at present anyway. Thinking back to 5 years ago here we had about 1/4 of the resorces we look after now and I'm sure that it will continue to expand.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

On that notes might be worth talking to ict support at other school and having meeting...

Maybe ask what plans are in terms of ict equipment etc is for new school as point is if merge two schools ict will increase so in theory new place will need just as many staff to look after it.

so your job role may change and this si where start to need to multiskill if you want to keep current role then start managing talk to head about issues, equipment how this is working etc get noticed...

If role that would like to do suggest this to head say want to web development role then say so.

Starting talking and being noticed is the key...

Thank Post

See if you can establish if they are really going to merge the two schools or close one and move the kids. At least here in the NE there seem to be different 'rules' for determining how staff get treated in the two different scenarios.

When two schools were merged, all staff from both schools were 'invited' to apply for their job at the new school. Where more than one candidate existed there were interviews etc and the best candidate got the job.

By contrast, where one school was being closed & the students moved, staff at the school being closed were made redundant, assuming they stuck around long enough that is!

No guarantee that this is the case where you are of course.

Good luck.

Thank Post

Had our meeting on Tuesday. 2000 excess places in schools so 2 are to be merged and one closed completely. fortune
    ately told we were one of the schools to be rebuilt possibly starting 2010. I agree these are worrying times for some. We were told there would be no forced redundancies, how they'll manage that I don't know, tho' some of the older staff have thought of applying for positions in the schools needing to close/merge with a view to being offered early retirement.
    Have to agree with Russ, the term value added comes to mind.
    At the same time as all this the council is running its job evaluation programme and we (the techies) got ours on Monday. It seems we are not required to handle sensitive data (so that's SIMS out the window), or plan ahead, or learn new skills, though it does involve a small amount of thinking. From what I gather the process is called a Question Trace, and they ask a "representative sample" of techies in the borough an opening question, then how you answer that governs which branch of questioning you're taken down.

Thank Post

@broc: They are closing both schools and re-opening as a new school with a capacity of 1500
    Now Moorside has an approx capacity of 1200 - not sure what Swinton High's is but its prob about the same
    So in effect - 1 school is getting closed.

Thank Post

Simply closing both schools means potentially making all staff redundant = very expensive. Don't be too surprised if they change their minds about the mechanism they use to achieve their goal once they look at the costs & when the local community interests kick in.

Wait until local councillors start to get flack from their voters then all sorts of political games get played too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

fortune
    ately told we were one of the schools to be rebuilt possibly starting 2010.
    this a BSF thing?

Thank Post

Spoke to Union rep today - who advised not to worry about this just yet - as the "Consultation Period" could take up to a year - depending on how many parents complain and how the unions reacts, though he did say that the only people guarunteed jobs are the teachers!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    fortune
    ately told we were one of the schools to be rebuilt possibly starting 2010.
    this a BSF thing?
    Yes it is. We (the techies) may well be out on our ears in a few years time, or tuped(?) though I don't think so. There is a teacher here who used to work in a secondary school where all the IT support was contracted out, his tales about that are our best ammunition with the head, who, to be fair, has said he'll fight to keep us. I judge him to be honest in this.
    As for the only jobs guaranteed being the teachers', all those just over 50 at our school have said they will apply for posts at the closing or merging schools in order to be offered early retirement (there'll be no compulsory redundancies - among teachers at least).

Thank Post

Yes it is. We (the techies) may well be out on our ears in a few years time, or tuped(?) though I don't think so.
    Companies tend to prefer secondment as it makes it easier to change workers roles, reduce pay or sack them - tupe protects workers rights more than secondment (said a unison person).

There is a teacher here who used to work in a secondary school where all the IT support was contracted out, his tales about that are our best ammunition with the head, who, to be fair, has said he'll fight to keep us. I judge him to be honest in this.
    No matter how bad it sounds from a teachers/learners/support staff p.o.v this thing is going ahead. Private money sounds good to the government, and outsourcing ICT to big business is a major part of this strategy. It sucks, and I really don't like it, but TBH we all know its cheaper to run a large farm of centralised servers than for all of us to provide a tailored service to meet our local schools requirements.

Thank Post

If the LEA hasn't actually decided about what to do with IT staff you'll need more info on their consultations. You should make sure your unison rep has searched for as much information as possible (consultation documents/ feesibility studies etc.)
    Use the 'Freedom of Information Act' and where that fails the 'Information and Consultations Act'. IANAL but the law says even confidential documents can be requested (within 28days IIRC) to an employee representative providing the outcome of the documents could have an impact on the workforce. Check Unison have done this. It might help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast