+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Advice for a new tech in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi guys, While living in Auckland on a working holiday i decided that it was time for me to begin ...
    Thank Post

Advice for a new tech

Hi guys,
    While living in Auckland on a working holiday i decided that it was time for me to begin a career as an ICT Technician. After some research i have begun studying for my A+ essentials and IT Technician exams which ill complete when i arrive back in the UK in November.

My question is, with only personal experiences fixing and building computers and no current recognisable qualifications, what are the odds of landing a junior technician role?

Thanks i advance.

Thank Post
    hmmm slim to none im afraid, the IT industry has really taken a hit but nothing is impossible.
    If I was you id stay there!

BBC NEWS | Business | UK jobless total climbs to 2.4m

BBC NEWS | Business | Struggle to get back into IT

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenight639 View Post
    hmmm slim to none im afraid, the IT industry has really taken a hit but nothing is impossible.
    Yeah, this country's had it.

Thank Post
    great.....lol, well ill try and break into it slowly. Im only 22 so im not exactly desperate to jump in right this second.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenight639 View Post

BBC NEWS | Business | UK jobless total climbs to 2.4m

BBC NEWS | Business | Struggle to get back into IT
    to be fair, the OP is only in his/her early twenties.....the example you linked to was referring to the issue of age discrimination. It seems that's a major barrier for many of those who are struggling to find any kind of work in IT or indeed any kind of full-time skilled employment.

As for 2.4m unemployed, well that still means there are over ten times more who DO have jobs. It's more likely that far more people are affected by pay freezes or pay cuts for a period than actual redundancy during this 'recession'. But then if mortgage repayments have come down to peanuts for many on variable rate deals this recession is painting a very interesting picture in terms of cost of living, so a pay cut is not quite the disaster with rates so low. Not much help to those renting, but then paying rent out of your own income is a mug's game anyway.

I agree that there is a lot of competition but i couldn't tell you whether there were slim pickings as i haven't been trawling the papers and jobs boards for some time. I've been on to a couple of websites of companies in the financial services sector and they were advertising a ton of IT jobs. But then, they always have. They still have IT requirements and budgets to spend on the IT side of things.

Working in IT is definintely one where it's really important to show recent experience of working in the sector. That is likely to make an employer feel more confident that this individual can hit the ground running. But if you have been out of work for any length of time or don't have any IT employment experience then a college or uni degree course isn't a bad idea, as some of these courses can lead to different opportunities in IT to what the OP may have considered.

Thank Post
    If you can afford to I'd get a part time job (any job) when you get home and then ask your local schools if they'll let you work on a voluntary basis. It should be a good way to gain experience and network.

Thank Post
    Good plan, Thanks for the advice.

Thank Post

work in uk

the recession is hitting youngest job seakers the hardest thats true, I could introduce you to a few companies/schools that would take on an apprentice or volunteer, once you get that on your CV future employers will see you are truly passionate about IT

also getting a crb check will help

pm me when you know you are coming over from NZ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAgent View Post
    also getting a crb check will help

There is a problem with that. I've been looking into volunteering at local schools and yes you do need a CRB check. Unfortunately, you can no longer apply for a CRB check as an individual looking to volunteer with vulnerable people. Your CRB check has to come from the place you are looking to volunteer at. Gone are the days when you could contact a school, with a CRB check already having taken place and with the documentation to prove it, and offer your services as a volunteer with next to no hassle for the school. Since they have stopped private citizens getting CRB checks, it has added the extra paperwork to the school. The schools I contacted didn't want the extra paperwork my volunteer services would bring.

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JHarrold View Post
    The schools I contacted didn't want the extra paperwork my volunteer services would bring.
    I've found that schools just don't want volunteers, even when you offer to pay for the cost of the CRB check.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    I've found that schools just don't want volunteers, even when you offer to pay for the cost of the CRB check.
    Its difficult in the IT industry and with schools, as a volunteer would be great in theory but without giving a volunteer sensative information what is the that they can really do? If there not employed by a school then they dont really have an enforcable contract if they were to do something wrong.

In todays world everybodys super caustious over liability, Thats why you have to wear your seatbelt when driving on your own, not because they care, because of insurance claims.

Anyway If i were looking to get in to the IT industry, Id get as many qualifications as I could, Cisco, MCDST, etc, maybe some linux qualification, then look for work experience with a private company.

Thank Post
    It's the old chestnut of getting experience to get a job but can't get a job without experience... if you're enthusiastic, have a good work ethic and can do basic support there's a position at our organisation at the moment

IT Technician Vacancy, Redbridge Institute of Adult Education (Greater London\Essex)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread