+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, VLE job interview questions? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hello, I am going for an interview this week for a job which basically involves taking paper resources and putting ...
    Thank Post

VLE job interview questions?

Hello,

I am going for an interview this week for a job which basically involves taking paper resources and putting them on VLE (and persuading teachers it's a good idea in a first place ).

My questions are:
    1. What could they give me as a task to do? (there is going to be one)
    and 2. interview with students - what sort of questions do students ask?

I am not expecting answers to the questions, just general questions themselves.

I am swotting on VLEs at the mo...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    students will want to know if they have access to resources like wikiepedia / encarta etc. Some will ask about games and the like.

Staff is a whole different ball game.

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

znova (18th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks!

Yes, that concerns me a bit! Since really I don't know how their network is set up and will really have nothing to do with the network as such apart from the VLE, I won't be able to tell them much about what they can do in terms of games/access to Facebook etc.

However, this leads me to an idea that I might look into - benefits of vle from student point of view...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I actually have the VLE/VLP part attached to my job and i have been developing ours now for around 3 months (Platform).

I stood infront of the whole school (Teachers etc) and explained how it all works and what i need them to do etc

It was a bad time of year to start this, but they will be working with me as of september to get the content on the VLE, one thing to keep in mind though is something like this dont get done over night it takes time and alot of prep work.

I am looking to have ours fully populate by September 2010.

A Member of staff from each subject area will be populating the VLE basically because i dont know how they have there schemes of work setout etc and i think its better that they do this anyhow. I will ofcourse help and advise when i aint swapped with everything else

Good Luck with the interview!

Do they have a VLE already, i.e. Moodle, SLK, Talmos ?

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    sadly we use netmedia however when our contract expires I am pushing to move over to moodle. We hire someone to do our netmedia already, and she does a great job!

We have 100% usage on our network for the VLE, in terms of pupils, and we are one of the few schools to have done so in bedfordshire.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zdenka View Post
    What could they give me as a task to do?
    Converting literally from paper-to-computer: scanning in a paper document, creating a PDF document from it. They might ask you to do something fancier - just scan the images, you might have to re-type any text. Do you have any experience creating SCORM-based resources, either with an authoring tool or by hand?

interview with students - what sort of questions do students ask?
    If you're on a panel of some kind, probably whatever the staff have asked them to ask. If it's just them chatting to you as they show around the school, probably whatever they think of. Best be friendly but professional.

--
    David Hicks

8. Thanks to dhicks from:

znova (19th July 2009)

Thank Post
    If, as you say, you'll be required to create electronic resources from paper based versions, the speed and accuracy, this includes spelling and grammar, of your typing will be important.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I actually have the VLE/VLP part attached to my job and i have been developing ours now for around 3 months (Platform).

I stood infront of the whole school (Teachers etc) and explained how it all works and what i need them to do etc

It was a bad time of year to start this, but they will be working with me as of september to get the content on the VLE, one thing to keep in mind though is something like this dont get done over night it takes time and alot of prep work.

I am looking to have ours fully populate by September 2010.

A Member of staff from each subject area will be populating the VLE basically because i dont know how they have there schemes of work setout etc and i think its better that they do this anyhow. I will ofcourse help and advise when i aint swapped with everything else

Good Luck with the interview!

Do they have a VLE already, i.e. Moodle, SLK, Talmos ?

James.
    There's no good time of year to introduce a VLE. I was in a similar position to yourself in that the VLE was going to be introduced in September 2008. I had our (Moodle) site up and running before the summer break and worked closely with the Head of Art to develop an online photography course, which was to act as an exemplar course for the other faculties. As there were only 25 pupils taking this course I enrolled them manually and sent them an email asking that they take some time over the summer holidays to have a look and feedback on what they thought. About half a dozen took the trouble to look, but no one gave any feedback, and almost a year on the feedback forum is still empty.
    A further line of attack was to prime certain staff members, those who could see the possible benefits of a VLE, and have those as "Champions". Some of the most active contributors of work to the VLE came from those I would have least expected. I am lucky in that I have a proactive Head of ICT, and her second in command is using her PPA (Planning, Preparation and Assessment) time to give one to one/two tutorials in how to use the VLE.
    There's always staff "churn", and we get to know who the new staff will be as we're asked to prepare laptops for them. I give them a login to the VLE and direct them to the online (Moodle) training. As far as they and our school are concerned, there's always been a VLE in place, and I find that they generally accept the situation they're moving to. You have to employ different tactics with staff already in place.
    I'll leave you with two quotes from Machiavelli,

“A new system is a hard thing to put into place, it is opposed by those that would be disadvantaged by the new system and it receives no support from those that would benefit.”

"There is nothing more difficult to carry out, nor more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to handle, that to institute a new order of things"

And this link - The Information Architect as Change Agent - Boxes and Arrows: The design behind the design

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone for your contribution!

To answer some questions:
    Do they have a VLE already
    Not yet, some members of staff have been trained on Kaleidos but from what I've been told that wasn't a huge success; e.g. we can do this and this already by using this method etc.

The problem is the SMT is very keen on the idea of using it, so whoever gets the job has the easy task of persuading the teachers. So initially if would be a lot of observed lessons, training on Kaleidos and then implementing. Although from what I understand the portal side of VLE will be implemented by the NM.

Converting literally from paper-to-computer: scanning in a paper document, creating a PDF document from it.
    As simple as that do you think? I dunno...I had visions of having to create tests for students to fill in and submit and mark - which I could possibly do after setting up a database and php side of things but certainly not there and then!
    spelling and grammar..
    Not too bad but I'm no secretary!!!

It certainly looks like a challenge but I'll give it a go!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    There's no good time of year to introduce a VLE.
    The reason why i said bad time of the year was because the teachers were doing reports etc and with all the exams no one really had the time to do anything with it. :-)

Thank Post
    I had a student interview type phase in an interview a couple of weeks ago... All it was was they are given some questions to ask you and they write down your answers. Nothing really special about it.

I think its more to see if you can treat the kids with respect and keep your answers to a level they understand without talking down to them. (P.S the feedback I got from the HT was that the kids thought I was 'cool').

Also I noticed the questions where repeated in the actual interview, so they might be looking to see you change your answers according to who your talking too.

Also they will most likely get the students to tour you around the school, so on the tour remember who your talking to... and you need to encourage the students to talk, and also you can extract useful information out of them (for example how often do they need a technician, what do they think of the computers etc etc)
    Last edited by mossj; 19th July 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zdenka View Post
    I had visions of having to create tests for students to fill in and submit and mark - which I could possibly do after setting up a database and php side of things but certainly not there and then!
    No! Don't re-implement the whole thing over again! Setting and marking tests are what VLEs are for - either with the VLE's own test making/marking system or SCORM or some other standard.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Setting and marking tests are what VLEs are for
    Well you can see I'm only just starting to having a serious look at the VLE! Having just come off a website project that was my first reaction...

The fact is that the school specifically wanted a placement student to fill the vacancy so they can't really expect them to know the ins and outs of VLEs - not yet

As far as students are concerned, I am geting a bit calmer about that. After all, which school would employ a technician - or any member of staff for that matter - which can't get on with kids!

Thanks everyone and by the end of the week I'll let you know how I got on!

Thank Post
    Just to keep all you good people updated: I got the job

Thanks for all the help!

BTW, the task was a lot harder than I thought - nothing as simple as pdf, I knew it! It went along the lines of here is the resource, how would you go about putting it on vle. But THB, all 3 of us were students without the experience of using VLE so all in the same boat.

The previous job I applied for had us support an IT lesson where the students were using program we've never seen in our lives. I think someone out there has a wicked sense of humour!

Now where was I - OH YES, Celebrate...

17. Thanks to znova from:

nit (22nd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Congrats proves there are jobs out there...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast