+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, How many Weeks Notice in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I need to know how much notice I need to give if I want to leave this job without arousing ...
    Thank Post

How many Weeks Notice

I need to know how much notice I need to give if I want to leave this job without arousing suspicions of the SMT and NTA gossips!
    Is there a standard amount of weeks for Network Managers ( 8O i doubt it) or someone at the coucil that may be able to tell me?
    I looked in the staff handbook but it doesn't mention it in there

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts

Re: How many Weeks Notice

There is no legal notice requirements at all, but just good practise. If you want to leave tomorrow you can, it is just bad manners to do so without some prior notice. Have you got another job to go to and is it within the LEA or a different job altogether?
    if it is with the LEA they could and probably would get their own back via some other means (Shocking I know but it happens believe me). It is usually 1months notice for monthly salaried staff and 2 weeks for weekly salaried staff but you could give just one weeks notice if you liked.

Thank Post

Look at your contract to see if there are any specific provisions in your terms and conditions.

If you are a member of a union then should be able to advise you.

Thank Post

My contract syayes a notice period of 1 month and it also states an amount of notice that I must be given if they decide to sack me (IIRC this is 2 months).

Thank Post

I think in general it tends to work like this:

Paid Weekly - 1 weeks notice
    Paid Monthly - 1 Months notice

Though this isnt defacto, as already stated - check your contract..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ditto as Ric_ says here in Powys CC and in Leicestershire CC

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    There is no legal notice requirements at all, but just good practise. If you want to leave tomorrow you can, it is just bad manners to do so without some prior notice. Have you got another job to go to and is it within the LEA or a different job altogether?
    if it is with the LEA they could and probably would get their own back via some other means (Shocking I know but it happens believe me). It is usually 1months notice for monthly salaried staff and 2 weeks for weekly salaried staff but you could give just one weeks notice if you liked.

Check contract as it will be in there most leas it is a month...

Be aware there is legal amount of 1 week

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/monster/empf18.html

But check your contract...

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am on 3 months ... still better than the army which is meant to be 1 year (without financial penalty)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by thom
    I need to know how much notice I need to give if I want to leave this job without arousing suspicions of the SMT and NTA gossips!
    You'll be lucky. Unless you have all your interviews in the holidays people will become suspicous at the increasing frequency of days off
    The real giveaway will be the reference request.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts

Russdev: Thanks for pointing this out but i would like to say in my defence that i have spoken to a friend in the legal department and he has told me in no circumstances will the LEA chase this if someone did not give the required notice i.e. no notice at all. Yes it seems a little cruel to do this to your employers but i would say Thom has his reasons for wanting to do this and if he has good reason then i would say go and put your letter of resignation in with the date which he wants to leave, on it. If that is the same day then it is up to him as an individual. What i must also say is that it is only good practise and manners to give actual notice even if the law states you have to give 1 week. I think we could all get away with the rule which states if your employers have been in breach of their contract to you then you do not have to give notice of any sort you can resign on the spot.

Thank Post

Be careful at which day you plan to terminate your contract. If you terminate on a Friday you won’t receive all your weeks pay. Depending on what your T+Cs say it might work at 5/7 of a week’s pay. Find out what day your working weeks starts, if it’s a Monday word the resignation letter so that you work up to and including the Sunday (Even if the weekends are your normal days off)

Also if you’re moving between departments within the council word your letter carefully so that your pension is not cancelled and restarted. You will lose out. It happened to my last techie who moved to different school but within the same LEA.

If you have a monopoly on the system or know it more than any techs that are at your work place let SMT know that you would be happy to come in on a Saturday, Sunday or evening to carry out maintenance or to get them out the doodoo's. BUT specify your rates before you leave. Viglen charge (I think) £600 per day 9-5 our electrician charges £35 per hour. It lets people know you are still approachable but don't work for peanuts any more.

If you have time produce a little document with passwords, user names common problems, contacts tec for the poor person who will eventualy replace you.

Thank Post

Thanks for all your help everyone. This is the quickest response i've had out of all of my posts. It must be a hot topic

I ended up putting one months notice on the job application as I really don't want the school to rush in getting a replacement for me. In fact I would like to be part of the interview panel for them as I don't want all my hard work going down the drain.

Thank Post

You probably would be on the Interview panel or have a separate interview with the candidate to see if they are trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes. In my experience paper exams mean nothing.
    I've had a guy with 4 M$ exams under his belt but couldn't make a network cable, but told me at the interview he could. All my interviewees have two interviews one with SMT and the other with me which includes practical tests. I don't intend to trip them up but like you say you don't want the new guy to kill everything because he was full of b*** at the interview and got the job.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread