+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Where now? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; A little bit of history. After getting a degree at 2.2 level I spent a year looking for work and ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Where now?

A little bit of history.

After getting a degree at 2.2 level I spent a year looking for work and landed a job as a tech at my current employer. I ended up in the school library, in a dual role of tech and librarian. Eventually I was moved out of both roles after being unhappy at being a librarian and currently assisting with reporting and other admin duties while occasionally being the Emergency Technician/Librarian [Hologram ].

Currently I am on a term time contract. I am wondering where I go from here though? I haven't had exposure to the likes of Sharepoint and Exchange but been building a lot of Office skills and getting as much technical theory as I can. I quite like my current job, but I'm still trying to work out what my career path is and seeking higher pay to move out into a place of my own. Going all year round instead of term-time only would help a lot with that.

Anyone have any tips or ideas what my next step should be when I decide it's time to move on?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Do you WANT to be an education tech? Not sure that 'quite like' is enough to base a career on.
    Can you see yourself doing a techies job for some time to come?

3. Thanks to witch from:

CAM (2nd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Graduate scheme in an it department? Quite a few places do them. Or you could do some vendor qualifications like Microsoft or cisco?

5. Thanks to Potato-Peeler from:

CAM (2nd July 2009)

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    youve picked the worst time to do this, all the grad schemes have been cut back so with a 2:2 you wouldn't get on them (btw what was the degree in? ComSc?)

I feel bad saying this but right now you haven't got a chance as the market has been flooded with people with similar levels of experiance or have a CompuTeach piece of paper and think they can actually do the job.

If you can stick it out, do so, but your best options would be a large company with a large IT dept, or a very small company looking for cheap IT support. Check the Axe misery thread for hints and tips and call in any favours you have from people you knew in uni who are in jobs.

7. Thanks to Midget from:

CAM (2nd July 2009)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the degree was a pain before the recession and still is. It's a BSc(Hons) in Computing. All the grad schemes wanted 1st or 2.1

On another note, does anyone know of schemes in Surrey or South London that I can do over the first half of the summer hols for a boost to my skills?
    Last edited by CAM; 1st July 2009 at 09:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    youve picked the worst time to do this, all the grad schemes have been cut back so with a 2:2 you wouldn't get on them (btw what was the degree in? ComSc?)

I feel bad saying this but right now you haven't got a chance as the market has been flooded with people with similar levels of experiance or have a CompuTeach piece of paper and think they can actually do the job.

If you can stick it out, do so, but your best options would be a large company with a large IT dept, or a very small company looking for cheap IT support. Check the Axe misery thread for hints and tips and call in any favours you have from people you knew in uni who are in jobs.
    Basically what he said. I looked around a year ago or so and emailed allot of grad schemes its going to be near on impossible with a 2.2. If I was you I would look at improving your skill set by doing stuff like the CompTIA A+, N+ which are electives for the MCSA then upgrade to 2008 with the upgrade exam. You could do all this home study. Just check out ebay plenty of resources to buy tho (its not legal) - but if you haven't got several 1000 to buy lots of nice resources and tests then do that.Thats if you want to be a techy? Teaching seems to be quite a safe career at the moment if you want to stay in schools.

Could always look at getting a full time I.T. tech job at other school. Just keep your eyes open for em. Might been lucky or unlucky whichever way you look at it and get BSF'd then have plenty of future career paths + free training from your new employer such as RM. Gd luck.

10. Thanks to Jiser from:

CAM (2nd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Anyone have any tips or ideas what my next step should be when I decide it's time to move on?
    You have a job that provides enough money to pay your day-to-day bills, you have a degree and you have the whole summer period ahead of you, so get on and start your own small business/website.

--
    David Hicks

12. Thanks to dhicks from:

CAM (2nd July 2009)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I contemplated self employment though I wasn't sure what I'd start up that I can fit round my current job. Tech support seems obvious but response times would be crap weekdays.

AXE
    Thank Post
    A few years ago I set up a website for the local chamber of trade and commerce.
    Every business was offered a site, with their own domain name and email forwarding.
    The site had a private forum that all members had access to. Even had an auction-style facility (like a mini-ebay for local businesses). It took no more than an hour a day to manage and business grew steadily.

15. Thanks to AXE from:

CAM (3rd July 2009)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I looked for CompTIA+ in Surrey. Only result I could find was 1700.

Thank Post
    Forget that.
    Last edited by IT_Master; 3rd July 2009 at 04:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Go grab a few books and electronic practice tests (make sure to avoid braindumps) and off you go. No need to pay 1700 if you self study (which is what you'd be doing a lot of in the career).

19. Thanks to kesomir from:

CAM (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    As I said before home study. Exams cost between 88-130 odd I believe and you do them at test centers.

Books/cds you can get from ebay or amazon.o.uk.

Thank Post
    Home study is a good method BUT when it comes to distraction(s) it is hard. But with a good time table in place...it's a go.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information