+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Technicians pay in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Why are Jobs posted with such inconsistant Salaries? Seen some lately where Pay varies from 12,000 to 26,000 for basically ...

Thank Post

Technicians pay

Why are Jobs posted with such inconsistant Salaries? Seen some lately where Pay varies from 12,000 to 26,000 for basically the same Job. I have also noticed that some schools actually offer the cleaners higher pay per hour than the IT technician they are advertising for.

Rant over for the day

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Because, unlike teachers, we are subject to the so-called 'market forces' - which means they will pay as little as they can.
    What always gets me is that schools half a mile apart can have widely differing payscales for what is the same job

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And that's what the pay and conditions reviews are about isn't it - to supposedly level the playing field - but it's all a load of sheep's testicles because it's by each county not by the country as a whole.

Thank Post
    I recently saw a 'Trainee Technician' job advertised which included Microsoft (MCSA/MCSE) training as part of the job on a better salary!

Needless to say, not in the Education sector.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Hi

Remember some counties have not done the regrade yet.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    And that's what the pay and conditions reviews are about isn't it - to supposedly level the playing field - but it's all a load of sheep's testicles because it's by each county not by the country as a whole.
    No actually its per school, or atleast it is in Stockton council

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adhutton View Post
    I recently saw a 'Trainee Technician' job advertised which included Microsoft (MCSA/MCSE) training as part of the job on a better salary!

Needless to say, not in the Education sector.

Andrew
    Now I'm even more depressed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    No actually its per school, or atleast it is in Stockton council
    No, here in Warwickshire it's across the whole county so all the techs, all the senior techs, nm's, etc should get the same pay as each other. It's laughable really.

Thank Post
    No, here in Warwickshire it's across the whole county so all the techs, all the senior techs, nm's, etc should get the same pay as each other. It's laughable really.
    Are you sure about that? Have you asked every tech what his pay is?
    I know that is how it was supposed to be but in reality (atleast here) it was used as nothing more than an excuse to cap wages. I dont know anyone who is on the same wages for doing the same job be it NM or techy.

For example our last NM was on 18K, the school down the road pays 21k, our current NM is on abit more than that, while the school in the town i live in pays around 17k. All within the same authority, and all after the rescaling.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 25th June 2009 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Are you sure about that? Have you asked every tech what his pay is?
    I know that is how it was supposed to be but in reality (atleast here) it was used as nothing more than an excuse to cap wages. I dont know anyone who is on the same wages for doing the same job be it NM or techy.

For example our last NM was on 18K, the school down the road pays 21k, our current NM is on abit more than that, while the school in the town i live in pays around 17k. All within the same authority, and all after the rescaling.
    Well, we're undergoing phase 2 at the moment and all the propaganda we've been given states that people doing the same jobs with the same responsibilities will be paid the same, although we all know that is impossible - no two jobs are ever the same, especially in IT in schools.

My concern is that it's going to be used as a cost cutting exercise.

Everyone has to match their job against a job descriptor provided by the council, and where no job descriptor exists (as is the case for most of the IT roles), then each individual has to fill in a JEQ (job evaluation questionnaire) - all nearly 30 pages of it - so that your pay can be worked out.

I'm actually considering going back in to industry as I've just about had enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The school can still override that - it is up to the head. The idea of job evaluations like this is to provide a level playing field across an LEA, yes, but not by reducing people's wages by not taking people's responsibilities into account.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's also dependant on the roles that, that person has to do the regrade will take this into account so two NMs could be on completely different wages even though their basic roels are the same depends on what other roles they have in the school.

Wes

Thank Post
    There was a job advertised at a school a near me doing exactly the same thing Im doing now on 3000 more than I'm on so I applied. Got an interview and everything went well they asked me to hang around for a while while they disscussed the interviews, everyone else was sent home so I thought I had the job, one of the interveiwers came out ten minutes later and told me they had decided to readvertise and that they felt I was over qualified, that I would be moving on with in the next 5 years or quicker to a network managers job. So I didn't end up getting the job with this in mind I spoke to HR abouth this fact and asked how this would effect me though pay and (de)gradeing the answer was well it waas up to you school to allocate you to a job profile and that the person working at the other school would be loosing pay to come down to the level that I am at now. I have spoken to other school and found out this is not the case so get ready for the appeals process when ever that arrives as it was due on the 22nd but havn't heard anything yet

It is Ideally by council but depends on the delgate at your school putting your job against the right job profile in my case it was the bursar. what does they know about the job I do I don't even work at the same site as them

Thank Post
    I have found that a lot of it depends on how ICT savy and interested the head and SMT are.

Many schools who really value there ICT staff are willing to pay more to attract the right candidate where as some will offer the same money as what the cleaners are on!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is why work of the School Support Staff Negotiating Body is so important as for first time we will have a national level playing field. The important part is extra T & C like getting. mandatory performance reviews for example.

It will certainly make the whole thing a different ball game once their work comes online.

Also for info EduGeek.net is currently working hard to make sure that we can feed into unions our views so that your views are taken forward to SSNB so watch this space.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast