+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Sole Trader Business in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; So I have decided to go sole trading. I think I like working for myself and have time for my ...
  1. #1
    IT_Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    102
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Sole Trader Business

    So I have decided to go sole trading. I think I like working for myself and have time for my family. I also got a company to use me as their field technician to do their jobs. Then I create my invoice and charge them I am thinking ways to get more companies to give me more jobs to do for them. Wish me luck with this business.
    Last edited by IT_Master; 19th June 2009 at 05:28 PM.

  2. #2

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,106
    Thank Post
    1,363
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Rep Power
    693
    Good luck Davyon

  3. #3
    ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    260
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    IT Master,
    Word of mouth is the best advert you'll get, do a good job (and I'm sure you will) and schools will soon be talking about you and your cheap prices, exellent and prompt sevice. Do'nt take on work you ca'nt do or work you ain't got enough time to fit in. Keep at least 40% of your income back for tax NI and expences. Most of all enjoy it.

    Hope it all works out for you.

    Ozzy

  4. #4

    beeswax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,285
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 225 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    131
    Keep every receipt, from the obvious, such as petrol to the not so obvious, such as did you have to buy a sandwich for lunch? It's a legitimate expense to claim against your income tax. Likewise any tools you have to buy you can set against tax. In my experience registering for vat is a last resort, not because I'm suggesting you do anything illegal, but because there's such a mountain of paperwork to get through (there was in my day at least) you'll end up spending almost as much time on your vat receipts as actually earning money. If you get a receipt for something and the receipt doesn't specify what you purchased (very rare these days, I know) write on it what it was for asap. And if you can afford it hire an accountant.

    Good luck
    Last edited by beeswax; 19th June 2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: The manners of plank

  5. #5
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    I can highly recommend a few tools to make your life easier.

    1. Kashflow.co.uk .. very easy to use accounts package and as it's SaaS you can access it from anywhere to sort an on the spot invoice if needs be.. It even reminds you when stuff is overdue with a quick email

    2. zendesk.com .. simple, easy to use and staff can email you in a way that transmogrifies them to support tickets. Much easier than trying to mess with multiple emails.


    Beyond that, be pro-active, not reactive.. Teachers are really bad at reporting problems. Find out who the hair trigger staff are who will report stuff gladly and get them on board. It will make your life a lot easier in terms of keeping them calmer (they see you respond) and you more in the loop about problems.


    Oh and as per Ozzy... promise small, deliver big

    If you need a spreadsheet I use to help me work out my costings to rates chargeable, let me know. It's saved me from undercutting my own costs and actually making enough to live on.

  6. 2 Thanks to contink:

    beeswax (20th June 2009), IT_Master (19th June 2009)

  7. #6
    IT_Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    102
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Awww...you guys are huge help. I have a copy of Sage 50 accounts which Im using to do my accounting and my wife plays the accountant; she works at a bank And yes I wont eat too much that I can chew. I only want to pay bills and support my family. The tools I need now is to advertise for 0. The other company that is working with me says that he will help out as mush as possible and Im thankful for that.

    As I grow, ill tell my stories.

  8. #7


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,687
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 794 Times in 714 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    Good luck, and remember there's plenty of us on here who'll help you if we can.

    Good lad

  9. #8

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,505
    Thank Post
    1,492
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Rep Power
    302
    Good Luck

  10. #9

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    You're very brave to go for it in the middle of a recession. It's always a learning curve and I wish you the best of luck.

  11. #10
    IT_Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    102
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Time is tough but with a mind set I guess someone can accomplish anything in this world. Money is everywhere and Im gonna find it.

  12. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    537
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    The paperwork might be easier but doesn't a sole trader have unlimited liability? Hope you've got some professional indemnity insurance.

    What about VAT or don't you have to worry about VAT registration until your turnover is in the 10s of 1000s?

    As someone said this brave step at the best of times but doubly so in a recession but at least you've got one big customer lined up.


    Good luck.

  13. #12

    beeswax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,285
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 225 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    I can highly recommend a few tools to make your life easier.

    1. Kashflow.co.uk .. very easy to use accounts package and as it's SaaS you can access it from anywhere to sort an on the spot invoice if needs be.. It even reminds you when stuff is overdue with a quick email

    2. zendesk.com .. simple, easy to use and staff can email you in a way that transmogrifies them to support tickets. Much easier than trying to mess with multiple emails.


    Beyond that, be pro-active, not reactive.. Teachers are really bad at reporting problems. Find out who the hair trigger staff are who will report stuff gladly and get them on board. It will make your life a lot easier in terms of keeping them calmer (they see you respond) and you more in the loop about problems.


    Oh and as per Ozzy... promise small, deliver big

    If you need a spreadsheet I use to help me work out my costings to rates chargeable, let me know. It's saved me from undercutting my own costs and actually making enough to live on.
    When I started as self employed in 1981 we were still using pen and paper.

  14. #13
    IT_Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    102
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat View Post
    The paperwork might be easier but doesn't a sole trader have unlimited liability? Hope you've got some professional indemnity insurance.

    What about VAT or don't you have to worry about VAT registration until your turnover is in the 10s of 1000s?

    As someone said this brave step at the best of times but doubly so in a recession but at least you've got one big customer lined up.


    Good luck.
    I dont need to worry about vat until my turnover reaches over 68,000pa.

  15. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    The only thing about VAT as I have found ,is that some schools and companies prefer to deal with a company that is VAT registered. The perception is that you have more "substance" and particularly with schools .. pay your taxes. The government has started to sit on schools regarding "contractors" and the possibility that they dont declare the income from the jobs they do ....
    The paperworks not that bad, anyone with a calculator can work it out. You can voluntarily register without turning over the 68k ...

  16. #15
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    When I started as self employed in 1981 we were still using pen and paper.
    I was the same but it seemed a bit daft seeing as I started out working with computers ...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Starting your own sole trader
    By mossj in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 1st July 2009, 06:10 PM
  2. Primary sole tech/secondary support tech - which to choose?
    By znova in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 5th June 2009, 10:51 AM
  3. Business Manager
    By marvin in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th December 2008, 11:16 AM
  4. BT Local Business
    By karldenton in forum Bad Experiences
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th November 2008, 07:02 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •