+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Insulted, should I complain? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi Everyone, I came accross this website when I first learned I was to be interviewed for a Network Support ...

Thank Post

Insulted, should I complain?

Hi Everyone,

I came accross this website when I first learned I was to be interviewed for a Network Support Officer position at a local high school. After the interview and the rejection that followed, I genuinely believe that the job had already been given to some one else.

The interview:

On paper it was to last 20 minutes, we were 10 minutes late starting
    A few informal question - asked me how I would deal with a user who couldn't login to their system (first line support question)
    No technical quiz
    No overview of what the job entailed
    The people interviewing had no understanding of network terminology, they looked baffed when I started talking about stacked switches, LAG groups, NAT polices, routing etc
    Cut my question time short at the end
    Phoned me up to say I never got the job, saying I wasn't qualified to look after server's or network even though I hold an HND, MCSE and CCA and being doing 1st/2nd/3rd line for a world-wide organisation for 3 years.

I just feel they have completely taken the mickey. The salary was fairly decent so how they can judge a person's suitability in 20 minutes with no technical questions I'll never know.

Is it worthwhile making a formal complaint or am I potentially making a big deal out of nothing?

Thanks

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    most likely they already had someone lined up for the job and were just following procedures so they can cover themselves

Thank Post
    I would chalk it down to experience.

What good is a formal complaint going to do you? You don't actually want to work there do you? Judging by what happened on interview I think you had a lucky escape!
    Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could write a letter to the governors stating that you do not believe the school is following fair recruiting policies, or the LEA. But it will probably lead to nothing, as it's up to the school who they hire...

Thank Post
    Chalk it down to experience and consider yourself lucky you're not working there.

For my interview (NM position) the level of questions were: "what's the difference between a bitmap and a vector?" and "if you see a kid hide their browser when you walk past, what would you do?". The "technical" test consisted of putting a nic back to dhcp from a invalid static ip.

Needless to say the questions at technical interviews these days are considerably more involved and the practical tests are downright evil (it's not so much whether you fix it, it's how you go about trying to fix it).

Thank Post
    I genuinely believe that the job had already been given to some one else
    Public sector paying lip service to rules - happens all the time, has happened to me and yes I was very annoyed too (but as above, definitely happy not to be working for people like that).

When I were a smallish lad I recall my mother (in education again) pointlessly travelled a long way to get burnt by that. She conditionally accepted offers for subsequent interviews i.e. "..provided there is no internal candidate".

Thank Post
    you ain't got it, you ain't going to get it, move on and don't waste your time because a complaint will amount to nothing

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest even if you was right there is nothing you can do to prove it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    No point at all in complaining to the school, or the governors in all likelihood. My current school has gotten away with far worse than this even with evidence stacked against them, and in most cases the governors were complicit. I think it's rare to find a governing body that actually provides effective oversight.

Complaining to the LEA might get the head a rap on the knuckles at best, and even if it does you have nothing to gain from it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slam View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I just feel they have completely taken the mickey. The salary was fairly decent so how they can judge a person's suitability in 20 minutes with no technical questions I'll never know.

Is it worthwhile making a formal complaint or am I potentially making a big deal out of nothing?

Thanks
    Think of it as a lucky escape. And have the belief that if your as good as you say you are that you'll find something much better.

Thank Post
    While I agree that it won't change the outcome, part of me thinks that we (collectively) shouldn't accept this behaviour, and simply remain silent.

At least if you put it on record, and they pull that stunt on someone else later, then it would be two people voices, rather than just one. It builds up a pattern, and ultimately becomes impossible to deny.

Perhaps I'm just in an idealistic mood today.

Thank Post
    Move on. It's hard to not get annoyed despite knowing how futile it is to do so. Get that out of your system for a few days and this will all be a memory.

You can't change how the world is, you can only change your perception of it.

Good luck with any future jobs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ask them for a detailed debrief on why you didnt get the job. Its your legal right, if it is not detailed enough, ask for a formal debrief. Make sure that you have a copy of your letter to them. If they dont give a satisfactory answer, THEN write a complaint to the LEA stating why you feel it was a bad decision. If the LEA gets involved then they will have to give out the right answers!

Thank Post
    Everyone one knows how hard it is to get an interview never mind a job in IT. After reading these forums and trying to prepare myself for the interview, I thought it would be a fantastic oppurtunity to work amongst a decent group of individuals like yourselves. There seems to be a greater deal of spirit and community on these forums compared to most. I actually had a feeling that the interview was just a process they had to go through and the job was already decided - been there done that already from past experience.

But I think everyone should be disgusted by this, it's our tax money that funds the education system and on that note, every candidate should have a fair and equal oppurtunity of employment. I've worked too damn hard over the last 6 years for a computer illiterate to tell me I'm not qualified to do the job I do on a daily basis. They made a mockery out of me and the interview process, I'm not the first and I won't be the last to be treated in an unprofessional manner but that gives no comfort.

At least if I put a letter in, it may help others in future. As Duncane said, we shouldn't remain silent. They may also realise they can't treat people like idiots.

Nephilim, I did receive a quick debrief over the phone. I was told that I was beaten by better skilled and certified individuals and that I should look into IT certifcation. When I asked what IT certification the interviewer recommended, it was clear he didn't know what professional IT certification was out there and recommended Microsoft. I don't even think they looked over my CV.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just disappointed that I was never a serious candidate in the first place and was taken for a ride.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Firstly - I think you should complain - if noone ever does, nothing will ever change. Address it to the governors, listing VERY CAREFULLY your points - governors HAVE to be shown all correspondence and as has been said, a pattern may emerge.
    There are serious rules to follow about recruitment - you have to be very careful about what you turn someone down for: eg if it is only a 'desirable' skill then they can't reject you just because you don't have it.
    As a governor, I know that we do try very hard to keep track of things like this - it isn't easy.
    I bet they had the perfect guy all lined up. Their mistake was not conducting a reasonable interview.
    It won't get you anywhere but if none of us ever complain, then nothing will change, ever.
    So, worth a go, I think

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information