+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Insulted, should I complain? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm of the same opinion as Duncane ... name and shame via the LA as well as asking what the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm of the same opinion as Duncane ... name and shame via the LA as well as asking what the appeals process is of the school. You may not want to follow it up but make sure the school has a process in place that is clear and open. If they try and fob you off then definitely follow it up even harder.

PEO
    Thank Post
    had a job interview once. on paper the job was completely diffrent/poor;y described to what they wanted. In the end I cam second, but I would not have taken he job had it been offered to me as it had limitations in moving further. It was a technician job for a local college to look after the IT department and not the whole school. the college already had a managed service profided by fijitsui people, who looked like tey just sat on a comfortable couch playing with laptops. not my cup of tea.

Thank Post
    As much as I agree with name & shame and fight the power... I do think in some situations it's better just to get on with it, i've been to a few roles where i've felt it's been done just to make up the numbers, to complain would have been a waste of my time, time that if i was unemployed would be better suited finding a job or if in a job better used to find another.

What frustrates me most is it costs in terms of travelling & mental prep. before an interview - it's really unfair to do it.

Grumbledook & Duncane are right, but don't go ape over it, a well worded letter to the right people can be far more productive than 6 telephone calls to the wrong people.

Thank Post
    Did the adverts happen to be really tiny or perhaps advertising in a free sheet 15 miles away with a deadline of the next day?

Thank Post
    It's very easy to say x + y = z
    but in reality it's not always as simple as saying I have these certifications, i have this experience. Not once has anyone mentioned interview technique, come across as a shy or nervous person and you're already struggling, you don't know what other candidates were there and they could have been more deserving. Fair enough in your view you didn't get a good go at it but you have to make the most of it when you're there.
    You didn't get a job, i'm sure there are many others on here who don't have the qualifications you have and get turned down at least twice a week, with those certs I'm surprised you haven't been snapped up already, there is definately plenty out there......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    but in reality it's not always as simple as saying I have these certifications, i have this experience. Not once has anyone mentioned interview technique, come across as a shy or nervous person and you're already struggling, you don't know what other candidates were there and they could have been more deserving.
    I think this is important; it may well be that the school had an internal candidate that they thought was perfect but they brought in a couple of outsiders for comparison.

The original poster says that the panel looked baffled when (s)he started talking about NAT policies, LAG groups etc - it's perfectly possible that this is why they didn't get the job! If what the panel was looking for was someone who wouldn't baffle them but could explain very technical stuff in a way that management can understand then using very technical language won't help.

As others have said, you should certainly ask for a full debrief and try to get them to tell you something about what they feel you did wrong (ie why they picked another candidate)

It's easy to come out of an interview thinking you did really well but in reality you're just not what the panel want (irrespective of whether there's an internal candidate)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    but in reality it's not always as simple as saying I have these certifications, i have this experience. Not once has anyone mentioned interview technique, come across as a shy or nervous person and you're already struggling, you don't know what other candidates were there and they could have been more deserving. Fair enough in your view you didn't get a good go at it but you have to make the most of it when you're there.
    You didn't get a job, i'm sure there are many others on here who don't have the qualifications you have and get turned down at least twice a week, with those certs I'm surprised you haven't been snapped up already, there is definately plenty out there......
    I agree with the above. If they were genuine about the interview and then get a letter from the LEA or an investigation because you were unhappy, guess what they are going to think when they see your name crop up anywhere else... Troublemaker!

While it may be honourable to report something like this in the hope someone else does not face this problem again, it could just be that they saw something about you they did not like or perhaps realised you would not fit in well with the current staff. Who knows. I just think that for a job application, it is not worth upsetting people without real proof as the guys involved may move on and sour your name elsewhere in future because of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    It is much like anything else in education at the moment, everything conducted behind closed doors by people who want to control the system. Anything questioned will be given the same lip service as your interview and they will skirt around the issue no matter what anyone else tells you.

It is a little like the BSF whereupon the consultation procedures are a legality so they have to go through with it even though the BSF committee know exactly what each school is going to get, they have to be seen to have completed the procedure legally and fairly.

Chalk this one down to experience and learn from it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    It's all about growing up and being British.

Thank Post
    Feel sorry for you slam, unfortunately I dont think complaining will get you anywhere!, although I would DEF complain about it!, it sounds like the job has been filled internally and for formality sake they advertised it externally. It is a shame really as the person probably has been working at the school for a long time and so knows a few contacts. Def ask for interview feedback and debrief, and then whilst you are looking for another job, complain about this and take it higher, people like this should not get away with things like this. Good luck dude !!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information