+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Network Manager - Bexleyheath in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by ITWombat Do you think there might be internal candidate? I'm not sure what point you are making ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat View Post
    Do you think there might be internal candidate?
    I'm not sure what point you are making here. As long as any internal candidate is assessed fairly against the person spec. etc. they may make the shortlist above someone else totally legitimately.

I've been for interviews where I've beaten internal candidates. So long as the process is fair and above board being internal or external should make no difference.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    I'm not sure what point you are making here. As long as any internal candidate is assessed fairly against the person spec. etc. they may make the shortlist above someone else totally legitimately.

I've been for interviews where I've beaten internal candidates. So long as the process is fair and above board being internal or external should make no difference.
    When an EduGeek member fails to get a job one naturally suspects foul play.

However, as the OP is also a member, we must conclude it was just the luck of the draw.

Seriously though, other things being equal, an internal candidate may have the edge because of the familiarity they already have with the organisation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat View Post
    Seriously though, other things being equal, an internal candidate may have the edge because of the familiarity they already have with the organisation.
    It can also go the other way though. Bearing in mind that when interviewing you can only go on what people tell you in the interview, I have seen internal candidates really make a hash of it and not fully explain to the interview panel things they have done/skills they have etc. and it has ended up that an external candidate comes over better and gets the job.

Sometimes being the internal candidate can perhaps make someone a little complacent.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    In these times I'd bet they've had far more applications than usual and many are probably also capable of doing the job.
    On Monday I myself am starting as the new NM at a different school. They had a 3 week advertising period, which appeared in local press and was reposted here on EduGeek, during which I expected them to get maybe two dozen applications. I recently learned there were 55 applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    At my last school, I saw plenty of interviews where the external candidates had only been brought in for show and it was very clear the internal candidate was going to get it all along. I agree with Jamman960 though; that's probably not the case here, since martynbez would have known and I don't think he would have posted the job ad.

Thank Post
    Well, that's me out of the race, never mind, good luck to any surviving contenders, the standard must be exceptionally high, that's the first time ever that I've never been called to interview.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    At my last school, I saw plenty of interviews where the external candidates had only been brought in for show and it was very clear the internal candidate was going to get it all along. I agree with Jamman960 though; that's probably not the case here, since martynbez would have known and I don't think he would have posted the job ad.
    I'm not suggesting it never happens - I am just saying that having an internal candidate doesn't automatically mean external ones don't stand a chance.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123