+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Enthusiastic individual looking for first IT role in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm an enthusiastic individual looking for my first roll in the IT industry. I've been trying to get into the ...
    Thank Post

Enthusiastic individual looking for first IT role

I'm an enthusiastic individual looking for my first roll in the IT industry.

I've been trying to get into the industry for the last 7 months without any luck. I've tried first line support, online support and standard school technician rolls.

I've had my CV looked over many a time and have found there isnt much more that can be done with it.

If any one knows of any up coming jobs in the Oxford area or has any tips that will allow me to progress into the IT industry I would be truely greatfull.

S Cooper

Thank Post
    How much experience do you have? If the answer is none, find out if there are any local charities that have systems that need some tlc. You'll probably work for free, but it's experience and possibly a reference.

I assume you're signed up to the local slave traders (they may call themselves recruitment consultants) and you're using any family/mates/family friends contacts you have. The latter is especially helpful - the hidden job market is alive and well in 2009.

Thank Post
    If you want to get into education you could contact a few local schools/colleges and offer to do some unpaid work experience. I bet quite a few of them would jump at the chance of an extra pair of hands and you should be able to get some experience and a reference out of them and its something to put on the CV.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Don't overlook the school(s) you last attended... a few hours a week voluntary there might land you something bigger in the long run!

Thank Post
    How old are you and what do you intend to achieve from the role (wage expectations, career progression, etc.)?

An apprenticeship may be an option if you can afford to take minimal pay in return for education and certs.

Thank Post
    I have minimal experience. I have done bit of IT work in a couple of schools before as part of some work experience but other then that the only expeirence i have is what i do with my own and friends machines and from what i've learnt from working at PC world. I've been looking for all sectors of IT and applied for god knows how many jobs in the last 7 months but no luck. Tried contacts and ppl i know but havent worked out.

I am looking into doing more work expereince just to try and get my experience up and maybe get my foot in the door but alot of schools have said to me they wont have any one working with them till the summer.

I'm 22 and i'm not 100% on where i wanna be. All i know is i love to fix things escpially computers and so a techy job is something i'd like to do. Whether that will be in a school or in an office or contract i'm not sure yet. I am willing to start at the bottom and work my way up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread