+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Question I should ask them? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi, I have my first ever ICT Technician interview next week at a comprehensive school. What I would like to ...

Thank Post

Question I should ask them?

Hi, I have my first ever ICT Technician interview next week at a comprehensive school.
    What I would like to know, has anyone got any ideas on what questions I should ask the panel at the end of the interview?
    Thanks, Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you search the "Education IT Jobs" Section you will find alot of other members have asked that question so that would be a good place to start.

Thank Post
    Quick search on google brings up the following - I dont think I would ask many if any personanlly though, it really depends what has / hasn't been said throughout the day already. Remember your interview starts as soon as you walk through the door, so feel free to ask questions whilst you are having a tour of the school etc, you don't need to wait until after the interview before you ask questions.

Ten top questions to ask
    Here are some examples of good questions to ask:

# What's the makeup of the team as far as experience?

# What does this company value the most and how do you think my work for you will further these values?

# What kinds of processes are in place to help me work collaboratively?

# What do you think can I bring you to add value?

# What's the most important thing I can do to help within the first 90 days of my employment?

# Do you have any questions or concerns about my ability to perform this job?

# When key people leave the company, why do they leave and where do they usually go?

# What potential do you see in me?

# What do you think are my strongest assets and possible weaknesses?

# Do you have any concerns that I need to clear up in order to be the top candidate?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Quick search on google brings up the following - I dont think I would ask many if any personanlly though, it really depends what has / hasn't been said throughout the day already. Remember your interview starts as soon as you walk through the door, so feel free to ask questions whilst you are having a tour of the school etc, you don't need to wait until after the interview before you ask questions.

Ten top questions to ask
    Here are some examples of good questions to ask:

# What's the makeup of the team as far as experience?

# What does this company value the most and how do you think my work for you will further these values?

# What kinds of processes are in place to help me work collaboratively?

# What do you think can I bring you to add value?

# What's the most important thing I can do to help within the first 90 days of my employment?

# Do you have any questions or concerns about my ability to perform this job?

# When key people leave the company, why do they leave and where do they usually go?

# What potential do you see in me?

# What do you think are my strongest assets and possible weaknesses?

# Do you have any concerns that I need to clear up in order to be the top candidate?
    Who's interviewing who? Many of these are very full on and best avoided in my opinion

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Who's interviewing who? Many of these are very full on and best avoided in my opinion
    I agree - especially not those questions, I think you can seem too keen / pushy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If i am honest i dont really tend to ask many questions, most of them tend to get covered in the interview.

Thank Post
    What do you think are my strongest assets and possible weaknesses

That's the question I always use to ask applicants at job interviews. One guy replied that modesty was probably his main weakness. He got the job.

I agree that the way the above questions are put is a bit too strong but some of them could be toned down. I don't see a problem with asking if they think you are right for the job and if not what are their reservations. It will be the only opportunity to try and convince them.

See if you can get a school tour beforehand and ask what they are hoping to gain from the appointment. When I did this, the ICT Coordinator said that many of the teachers were not comfortable with the subject. At the interview I stressed my knowledge of MS Office and that the best way for me to find out what needed doing was to help out in lessons.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    As an ex recruiter and interviewer I would not be happy to be asked some of these questions, so Please don't use them! Most of them should be asked by the interviewer, not the interviewee, if used at all.
    What you need to do is take a notepad upon which you have previously written some questions that you would hope would be answered in an interview, and that you have not been able to ascertain from the job spec, person spec or web site -such as: size of team, technology, size of IT dept, number of clients, future plans for IT, etc
    Then, when asked if you have any questions, even if you can't think of any, (in the stress of the interview) you turn to the appropriate page, which is OBVIOUSLY questions you have written down, run your pen down them, ticking them off, look up, smile and say "No, I think you have covered everything thank you"
    This looks as if you have made an effort but also lets you off if your mind has gone blank!!

9. Thanks to witch from:

mikeyewz (17th May 2009)

Thank Post

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    As an ex recruiter and interviewer I would not be happy to be asked some of these questions, so Please don't use them! Most of them should be asked by the interviewer, not the interviewee, if used at all.
    What you need to do is take a notepad upon which you have previously written some questions that you would hope would be answered in an interview, and that you have not been able to ascertain from the job spec, person spec or web site -such as: size of team, technology, size of IT dept, number of clients, future plans for IT, etc
    Then, when asked if you have any questions, even if you can't think of any, (in the stress of the interview) you turn to the appropriate page, which is OBVIOUSLY questions you have written down, run your pen down them, ticking them off, look up, smile and say "No, I think you have covered everything thank you"
    This looks as if you have made an effort but also lets you off if your mind has gone blank!!
    Now I remembered where I got that from. They ask me the question, my mind was blanked, I looked on my notepad scroll through and said no thank you with a Colgate smile.

Thank you witch.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    You are very welcome!!

Thank Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me out. This is a great forum..............I ACTUALLY GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike. (in shock.........)
    Last edited by mikeyewz; 20th May 2009 at 03:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Congratulations!

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Congrats, mate!!

Thank Post
    Great! I will make sure I ask them on my first day..............

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyewz View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me out. This is a great forum..............I ACTUALLY GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike. (in shock.........)

Well done!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast