+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, CV Advice please in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post

CV Advice please

Hey

In case you did not see my introduction post in new members thread, my name's Lucas, I'm 26 living in Bristol, born in Poland, UK resident since 2002. I've been made redundant from a warehouse job in september last year (not to mention just after I was offered £28k/year Team Leader position). I found the job market really tought at the moment and I've been out of full time employment since then.

However, I've managed to keep myself busy during this time. I have recently seen 2 ICT Technician vacancies posted in local schools and I thought I'd really like the job.

It would be great if any of you could give my CV a quick look and post some comments.

Also my questions are:
    1. I have been recently issued with Enhanced CRB Disclosure and I'm not sure if I should put in on my CV or not. Also do I have to be checked again with new employer?
    2. In regards to salary expectations. Does it sound bad to say I don't have any? I just want to work in the field and it's not about the money for me. Will it sound silly if on interview for a £19k position when asked about my salary expectations I'd answer £16k is good enough? Thing is that I'd really like the job and even if it was advertised for £13k I would apply with same enthusiasm.

Regards

edit:
    Also my question is what skills are school hiring officers looking for? I don't include everything I know/can do on my CV (obvious reasons) but I am also not sure which of them will make me more employable. Is it Windows/Linux/Mac/Servers/Networking/Programming/Routers/Switches/Soft Skills/...?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LucasP; 10th May 2009 at 03:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Its difficult to comment on your CV without seeing the advert. If they is a list of desirable and essential criteria make sure your CV or covering letter covers everything.

Your CRB check will be worthless if it was with a different local authority, depending on how stringent the LA or school is they may request another CRB check for you.

I think I would be honest and tell them truthfully what your current salary is if they request it - at the end of the day you are looking for a job.

They are a couple of grammatical changes I would make to your letter, but I am not the best at spotting these things, they are others on here that will be able to comment better on the English used in your CV.

For someone who's first language is not English its still pretty damn perfect.

Good luck.

3. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

LucasP (10th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasP View Post

edit:
    Also my question is what skills are school hiring officers looking for? I don't include everything I know/can do on my CV (obvious reasons) but I am also not sure which of them will make me more employable. Is it Windows/Linux/Mac/Servers/Networking/Programming/Routers/Switches/Soft Skills/...?
    I think interviewers want you to just understand the jist of something, dont try and pretend you know everything, no one does. I think that helped me get my current job, I could remember all the accronymns but I explained the jist of what something does.

5. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

LucasP (10th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing I would like to say, have documentary evidence that you have done the things in your CV (such as the skills and achievements). Its good to say that you have done them, but without the paperwork to back it up, you may well be making it up. Otherwise it is a good CV to me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Your CRB check will be worthless if it was with a different local authority, depending on how stringent the LA or school is they may request another CRB check for you.
    You will need a new CRB for a new employer, regardless of whether they're the same authority or not. Or at least they should ask for a new one. They may be slightly less urgent about it if you have a recent one, but they will still want to run one themselves.

They'll take care of this though, all you'll need to do is fill in the form.

Thank Post
    Also see if you can spare the time to come to the conference... there will be a section on 'selling yourself'.

See http://www.eventelephant.com/edugeekconferencemay2009/ for more details.

Thank Post
    In regards to salary expectations. Does it sound bad to say I don't have any? I just want to work in the field and it's not about the money for me. Will it sound silly if on interview for a £19k position when asked about my salary expectations I'd answer £16k is good enough? Thing is that I'd really like the job and even if it was advertised for £13k I would apply with same enthusiasm.
    I don't quite understand this lucas. If a job has been advertised at a starting salary of 19k why would you indicate to an interviewer your salary expectations are 16k ?

There are probably a ton of people out there who could and would do the job for less than 19k, so i hardly think having a lower salary expectation gives you a competitive advantage. You've already proved you are eager to work in the field, by the fact you've taken up two voluntary positions in the last couple of years rather than sitting idle.

don't sell yourself short.

Perhaps some of the more experienced board members could explain a little bit about strategies re salary expectations answers. My guess is a combination of factors that indicates salary preference.
    but which of these factors are valid reasons for expecting a particular salary ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    You will need a new CRB for a new employer, regardless of whether they're the same authority or not. Or at least they should ask for a new one. They may be slightly less urgent about it if you have a recent one, but they will still want to run one themselves.

They'll take care of this though, all you'll need to do is fill in the form.
    That's not strictly true... A CRB can be transferred between jobs within the same LA. But that is up to the authority itself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As said before, you have proven yourself worth by doing voluntary work, and not being idle, which shows enthusiasm and self respect that you would rather work for free than be idle.

Also with the CRB, depending if it is less than 6 months old, it is transferable to any position within your local authority, any older and you will need a new one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I don't quite understand this lucas. If a job has been advertised at a starting salary of 19k why would you indicate to an interviewer your salary expectations are 16k ?

There are probably a ton of people out there who could and would do the job for less than 19k, so i hardly think having a lower salary expectation gives you a competitive advantage. You've already proved you are eager to work in the field, by the fact you've taken up two voluntary positions in the last couple of years rather than sitting idle.

don't sell yourself short.

Perhaps some of the more experienced board members could explain a little bit about strategies re salary expectations answers. My guess is a combination of factors that indicates salary preference.
    but which of these factors are valid reasons for expecting a particular salary ?
    I can't envisage a situation where you want to negotiate lower than the starting salary!

I think experience and your previous salary are the main influencers on where to start negotiating. If you are already being paid a higher salary than the starting salary then I would at least ask for that. If you have solid experience that is relevant to the job e.g. if the job calls for managing a small team and you manage a large department then you could make a case to be placed at the top of the scale. You also have to consider your current financial position. Do you like the job your in? Would you be happy to walk away from the new job offer if the price is not right.

Some people believe that you should always pick the higher number and negotiate down but this can leave you looking like an idiot if you can't back it up. I find it best to let the interviewer pick a number first and then decide where you want to start negotiating at the bottom, in the middle or at the top.

Bear in mind that many LA's now have to offer you the job at the bottom of the scale and have no leeway to negotiate under 'best value' guidelines and the current economic climate may push down salary offers.
    Last edited by somabc; 11th May 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Your CV looks fine, but do the posts advertised want you to send a CV or to fill an application form? Either way, I would start by looking at the criteria for the post and ensuring you have listed them in your application with examples(assuming of course you have the skills).

I dont understand the reasoning about money either, you only need to discuss it if you are offered the job. If you are unsure about what to say you could just inform them you are open to negotiation and emphasise your enthusiasm and interest in the job.

Edit: You should know the job scale and be negiotating within that bracket NOT asking for less than the starting salary.
    Last edited by penfold; 11th May 2009 at 11:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    That CV is very good but, and it is a silly but, it does make you look highly experienced even though you have apparently only been in IT for about 8 months - which might make prospective employers a bit confused. If you are going for lower/entry level positions, you need to make it clear that you were working in a team and not responsible for example for planning the whole network by yourself!
    Of course, if you did, then fine. But I think you need to look at that.
    Your initial paragraph is lacking in grammar a little. It should read something like:
    I am a very motivated, proactive person with a passion for technology and I am fully committed to developing a successful career in the IT education sector. I can adapt to new surroundings and environments very quickly, and I am always willing to learn new skills that will help improve my knowledge. I take great pride in my work and can work happily alone or as part of a team.

Hope this helps - but as others have said, you need to tailor your CV to match the job and highlight specific things again in the covering letter.
    As for salary - I've NEVER been asked in an interview about it - it is usually presumed that you have seen the salary on the job description and will take it - even the bottom end of any scale mentioned. I wouldn't mention it if I were you.
    I WOULD mention the CRB though as it shows that you can pass one, even though they may have to do it all again!

15. Thanks to witch from:

LucasP (11th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the input.

Let me clarify.
    On my last interview for a position advertised at £18k-£22.5k I was asked what my salary expectations are. I answered 18k. I heard "Oh" and never heard back from the recruiter.
    Until then the interview went pretty well and I would expect at least "You have not been successful" or something.

Regards

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For both this and my last post salary was taken care of in a covering letter sent with the C.V. For the last post I said I couldn't take the job unless I was offered MORE than top end of the pay scale (by about £2-3k if I remember).

For this job I made it clear that I was expecting top end and then only accepting the job because the experience and type of work interested me more than the salary (other whys it's a bit low).

Funny, I thought on both occasions that my bullish nature on salary would lose me the job. Quiet the reverse. I think it helps if they think they are are getting a bargain - someone worth more, for less, even if it does mean paying top end of the salary on offer.

Don't sell yourself short. Ask for what you and your skills are worth. Compare whats on offer with other similar jobs in the area and ask for a suitable salary accordingly. If you don't ask you wont get.

In my cases both schools got a bargain

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the input.

Let me clarify.
    On my last interview for a position advertised at £18k-£22.5k I was asked what my salary expectations are. I answered 18k. I heard "Oh" and never heard back from the recruiter.
    Until then the interview went pretty well and I would expect at least "You have not been successful" or something.

Regards
    The only time I've ever heard of an organisation offering less the quoted in the spec is when they want to offer the job to someone who does not completely meet the spec (lack of experience for example). I wouldnt have thought your answer to do with salary would be the deciding factor and if it was, you dont want to work them anyway. You could ask them why you didnt get the job.
    Last edited by apeo; 11th May 2009 at 12:30 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast