+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Who would you prefer for a technical role? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; This is just an out of interest question to network managers really, if you had a support job available who ...

Thank Post

Who would you prefer for a technical role?

This is just an out of interest question to network managers really, if you had a support job available who would you prefer, someone who has worked for 3 years in a support role, but is only vocationally qualified, or someone who has just graduated with a computer science degree. Me and a friend were discussing this the other day and couldn't decide.
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Somebody with 3 years experience. In many cases the person with a degree may know loads of advanced stuff, but they are pretty much starting from scratch with a lot of the more basic day to day jobs.

Thank Post
    Same, the person with 3 years support experiance every time.
    Which is a shame for graduates but thats how it goes

Thank Post
    If this is the trend howcome i tend to see a fair few job descriptions asking for a computer science, or other computer subject, graduate, and say nothing about actual hands on experience?

Thank Post
    I wouldnt touch anyone from uni with a barge pole, when I was at uni I m surprised if the people who got 1st degree's could even turn a PC on! All my knowledge came from experience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato-Peeler View Post
    If this is the trend howcome i tend to see a fair few job descriptions asking for a computer science, or other computer subject, graduate, and say nothing about actual hands on experience?
    Because the person who knows what the job requires isn't necessarily the person who gets to write the advert.

Or they're using the qualification as a filtering mechanism, same as certain slave traders do for certs. Experience and actual knowledge gets you the job, qualifications and certs are often needed to get you the interview.

Thank Post
    I graduated from uni with a degree in Information Technology, it provided very little help when I started out as an IT Tech nearly 9 years ago. However, now I am on the SLT is has proved very useful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlovs_dog View Post
    I graduated from uni with a degree in Information Technology, it provided very little help when I started out as an IT Tech nearly 9 years ago. However, now I am on the SLT is has proved very useful.
    I lost all my knowledge when I went into university, took me a year to get back into things after uni, they were teaching Microsoft Office skills as a module for a computer and network technologies degree!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,645 Posts
    My IT degree was only of use as a proving I had been educated to degree level. The job offers came in as I built up experience.

My first 'proper' job came 12 months after graduation once I'd built some work experience up.

Having said that, I have been impressed by the content of some of the more modern courses. I think that IT graduates are much better prepared for the workplace than I was!

In summary, a degree helps if that is the educational level I'm looking for. An It degree might tip the balance between 2 candidates, relevant experience would win hands down... and any work experience is better than none.

Thank Post
    I'd probably go for the experienced one, too.

I did Computational Physics at uni and was an "enthusiastic amateur" at home, taking PCs to bits and stuff... but pretty well everything (Edit: Relevant) I know I've learned by figuring it out on the job. I keep meaning to get some M$ qualifications at some point but ha ve never yet got round to it...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I get to sit on a fair few interview panels and always rate experience over quals. When under questions you can always begin to see just who knows what after a couple of technical questions. The thing about support roles is it is impossible to 'teach' it in any way due to the sheer scope of the job, and everyone knows things that others don't, which is why it is so important to get a balanced team together. Some like coding, some like networking and others are mail and firewall nuts. Bring them together right and you've the base for an excellent team with a vast scope for the cross pollination of knowledge.
    IMHO Quals are only a way to get your foot in the door at entry level, beyond that LEARN!

Thank Post
    I've been an IT Tech for nearly 2 years. I left 6th Form with... passes, and I wouldn't have gone to Uni even if I had got straight A's. I applied for a part time job in a school, and luckily for me an apprenticeship scheme run by the council, that the Headteacher knew about, allowed me to work in the school in my desired role as an IT Tech with no prior "professional" experience or Uni degrees. My GCSEs and A Levels are all I have, although I do also have Cisco IT Essentials I and II certificates.

Nearly 2 years later I have an NVQ Level 2 and I've almost completed my NVQ Level 3.

From a personal perspective, I've learned more with the 2 years of hands-on experience than I would have ever learned from studying code and theory of computing and computer science. It's all very well knowing how DirectX works, or how processors actually process functions and commands, but that doesn't really help you diagnose why the sound is not coming out of the speakers, why the Interactive Whiteboard is not working or why the computer continually reboots itself.

Your posts have filled me with confidence to know that I'm more employable than someone with a gleaming degree.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato-Peeler View Post
    This is just an out of interest question to network managers really, if you had a support job available who would you prefer, someone who has worked for 3 years in a support role, but is only vocationally qualified, or someone who has just graduated with a computer science degree. Me and a friend were discussing this the other day and couldn't decide.
    Cheers
    I would prefer the person who had the best people skills and who came across as the best fit for my team on the day.

I always maintain that as long as someone has the right attitude I can train them how to do technical stuff. If someone's people skills are rubbish it is much harder to teach people those skills.

I have worked with highly technical and skilled people who have been rubbish with the customers. I have also worked with much less technical people who's manner has made the customers love them even if it takes them a little longer to solve a problem.

14. 2 Thanks to jcollings:

Mako (7th May 2009), srochford (7th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    I've been an IT Tech for nearly 2 years. I left 6th Form with... passes, and I wouldn't have gone to Uni even if I had got straight A's. I applied for a part time job in a school, and luckily for me an apprenticeship scheme run by the council, that the Headteacher knew about, allowed me to work in the school in my desired role as an IT Tech with no prior "professional" experience or Uni degrees. My GCSEs and A Levels are all I have, although I do also have Cisco IT Essentials I and II certificates.

Nearly 2 years later I have an NVQ Level 2 and I've almost completed my NVQ Level 3.

From a personal perspective, I've learned more with the 2 years of hands-on experience than I would have ever learned from studying code and theory of computing and computer science. It's all very well knowing how DirectX works, or how processors actually process functions and commands, but that doesn't really help you diagnose why the sound is not coming out of the speakers, why the Interactive Whiteboard is not working or why the computer continually reboots itself.

Your posts have filled me with confidence to know that I'm more employable than someone with a gleaming degree.
    Same opinion here, i should get my NVQ 3 next month. This thread makes me feel a lot better. lol. Thank you for people who took time to post.

Thank Post
    For me it would depend on the role that was being offered.

If it was for someone based off-site or I needed a roving trouble shooter who would get on with the job without needing too much supervision then I would maybe favour experience over qualifications.

If it were for a trainee job, then maybe qualifications would suggest a person would have a certain level of learning capability.

I will say this, and Iím not exactly proud to say it, but I have found too many university graduates to have the wrong attitude. Iíve meet some who have maybe thought that they are a bit too special to be crawling around the floor or in ceiling panels. Just my experience mind you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast