+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, 2x IT Technician - BSF - Kent in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Northgate-is - Careers Should I apply? (They just sacked me as NM)....
    Thank Post

2x IT Technician - BSF - Kent

Northgate-is - Careers

Should I apply? (They just sacked me as NM).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaks View Post
    Northgate-is - Careers

Should I apply? (They just sacked me as NM).
    They sacked you ?

Did you not do as they asked? or did they just sack everyone ?

Maybe we should all apply all 10,000 memebers (or how ever many) and overload them with paperwork....

Thank Post
    That's outrageous, you should look at some kind of unfair dismissal proceedings, that job description is for more than just a Technician, the're advertising your job at a lower salary, constructive dismissal maybe?

All Schools ICT Staff need to be wary of BSF suppliers looking to sack existing staff (on decent salaries) and replace them with cheaper less experiences ones to increase their profit margins

S

Thank Post
    On what grounds was dismissal?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @MGSTech:

And what would you do if it was you?

There is nothing that can be done as it is all legal and above board as part of the TUPE process which has been verified by the unions.

What people are told is yes you can be a part of our organisation but we can and will get rid of you within the 6 weeks grace period because you are paid too much and we can do it because it is the law.

What part do we have to be wary of?

This is not a volley fired at you personally but i am sick of people giving advice about something which cannot be altered so get used to the fact that it will come to all of us eventually. :-(

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,914 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @MGSTech:

And what would you do if it was you?

There is nothing that can be done as it is all legal and above board as part of the TUPE process which has been verified by the unions.

What people are told is yes you can be a part of our organisation but we can and will get rid of you within the 6 weeks grace period because you are paid too much and we can do it because it is the law.

What part do we have to be wary of?

This is not a volley fired at you personally but i am sick of people giving advice about something which cannot be altered so get used to the fact that it will come to all of us eventually. :-(
    You're incorrect. The process requires a person be transferred across on the same conditions for 6 months. Unless you fall within a few random categories, ie. the business wouldn't be financially viable if they did it etc...

Thank Post
    Hopefully the salary is more in line with what businesses would pay rather than schools. BSF may actually work out well for those employed by the the support providers

As for the job description being for more than a technician I think its more in line with what businesses would expect from IT staff - in my previous job as an onsite engineer I'd be expected to fix pretty much whatever I encountered whether its a screwed up RAID array or a whiteboard that isn't calibrated properly, I'd be expected to fix it while I was onsite. If I had to call in someone else I really needed a good reason, they'd often be 150+ miles away.

With the SLA's imposed on BSF sites I doubt they could afford to employ anyone who couldn't function fully on their own, an engineer from Ramesys told me that the SLA for a desktop hardware fault was around 30 minutes, once the SLA is exceeded the company would be fined.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ok people calm down

Before jump in lot more to this and for obvious reason op can't go into. But please be aware before jumping to conclusions about bsf when we are not talking about bsf or the bsf process.

As this is where we get Chinese whisper.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    On what grounds was dismissal?
    IIRC they sacked him for using the internet "excessively" - presumably no more/less than any of the other employees in the school, but when working for a company like northgate.....
    IIRC Deaks now has a gagging order, meaning that he can't discuss it.
    In another thread we speculated that Northgate was looking for excuses to sack employees. It now looks like they are doing it so that they can re-appoint them on their terms, rather than the Tupe terms.

richard_s
    From what I have heard Northgate are rumoured to be looking to outsource some of the work to local firms using them as sub-contractors and therefore cutting back on the numbers of actual employees they have.

Thank Post
    Using the internet excessively??

In an IT career? Crikey, what "excessive"?? I'm usually on the internet near constantly during the course of a day. Its kind of a vital technical resource.

Thank Post
    Well, we are talking about the BSF process if, as part of BSF, you're getting TUPEd and companies are coming up with any excuse to sack you.

Kent schools using the KCN email list should also be aware that Northgate are actively reading the list, so Northgate employees should watch what they say. Pretty sure that's why Deaks got the gagging order from them.

13. Thanks to Diello from:

Oops_my_bad (5th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Again you are making some assumptions about something you know only part of the story. As for gaging order this standard practice.

So please be very careful I am not saying either way what northgates intentions are as I know bit more to story but not much hence why I am not making a view on it as such.

But you are all making big assumptions so please be careful as last thing I want is you lot to get into trouble or op getting into more trouble.

Right next job write up for EG on bsf event yesterday which is was very interesting.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    maybe northgate themselves would like to offer an explanation

richard_s
    I'm actually glad that I no longer work in education as I would have fallen into their clutches and everyone knows what a popular person I was

Seriously though it makes a mockery of the the right to free speech and expression of personal opinions on not only this site but any public forum.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast