+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, 2x IT Technician - BSF - Kent in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Should be clear on this eg has not been gagged. NDA after leaving a company are standard to be fair. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Should be clear on this eg has not been gagged.

NDA after leaving a company are standard to be fair.

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Not really, they are more common place, but not standard.

I've signed them for projects and taking on jobs, but never leaving.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Russ
    I think it could quite easily be argued that an NDA is a gagging order.

On the same point - why would you sign an NDA after you left a company ? or are Northgate making employees sign NDA when they join (ie not transfering them under the existing terms and conditions, thus not adhering to Tupe ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries

Russ
    If he'd been TUPEd then how can this have been on his contract?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You're incorrect. The process requires a person be transferred across on the same conditions for 6 months. Unless you fall within a few random categories, ie. the business wouldn't be financially viable if they did it etc...

Not sure where you get the 6 months from - it's supposed to be 12 months IIRC, however, the company you get transferred to can get rid of you after the first day for "technical or economic" reasons.
    On the plus side you might get money, training and new toys to play with - if they decide to keep you on... hmm, but would they really keep on NMs when everything is remotely managed?
    It still seems to me that we are all going to be losers in this game - not knowing if we'll have jobs from one day to the next - having said that, I'm so "popular" with regards to BSF meetings that I think I'll be the first one kicked out when we get taken over

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    IIRC they sacked him for using the internet "excessively" - presumably no more/less than any of the other employees in the school, but when working for a company like northgate.....
    IIRC Deaks now has a gagging order, meaning that he can't discuss it.
    In another thread we speculated that Northgate was looking for excuses to sack employees. It now looks like they are doing it so that they can re-appoint them on their terms, rather than the Tupe terms.
    Although I don't know the full in's and out's... I am continually checking the Microsoft sites, some hacking sites to check latest threats and basically doing what network managers do... keeping ontop of what's going on in IT... I download ISO's for MVL often... how on earth can they quantify excessive use for a Network Manager!

I need to understand what the BSF, Tupe means before I can give any educated response but it seems like you've said a reason to sack someone... that's pretty lame, this is someones life and they've probably given there all whilst at the school - schools were once seen as a 'safe bet' for jobs... i'm wary now, it shouldn't be solely about money!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BSF bad 4 legs good.

Thank Post
    Seems to me a NDA that stops you from giving the reason for not working at your last place of employment would likely fall under the unfair contracts act, as most prospective employers will want that information before considering employing someone.

It maybe in an agreement but isn't necessaily legally so, as were many agreement clauses only a few years ago about not going to work for a competiter that were deemed unfair clauses, so might be worth seeking qualified advice if the OP needs to declare the reason to gain further employment.

I suspect Deaks may have misinterpreted or been led to misinterpret just what his NDA covers and doesn't cover.
    Last edited by glensc; 5th May 2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added last paragraph

Thank Post

Response on behalf of Northgate

I am a representative of Northgate and I am familiar with the Kent BSF programme and the circumstances relating to Mr Deakin's departure from our organisation. Firstly I want to point out that we would not normally want to get involved in such forums as we believe you should be able to converse freely without intrusion. However, in light of a number of the comments made and speculation arising from Mr Deakin's recent posts, I thought it may be useful if I outline the Company's position on these matters.

It is regrettable that Mr Deakin thought it was appropriate to post information relating to his dismissal on such a public forum. In any employment relationship there is typically a duty of confidentiality, hence why we requested such information to be withdrawn. In terms of the reasons for the dismissal, in the same way, it would not be appropriate for the Company to divulge any further detailed information; however I stress that you have not been presented with the full facts. To offer reassurance, this case has no relation at all to the fact that Mr Deakin TUPE transferred to Northgate. There is no ulterior motive on our part to dismiss TUPE employees and, as has been stated, replace them with cheaper resource. We do not take decisions to dismiss employees lightly and we have fair processes and procedures to deal with such matters.

In relation to TUPE protection, there is no legally defined time frame as such, although people commonly think of a year. From our point of view we take our obligations under the TUPE regulations very seriously and always seek to honour transferring T&Cs. A change to T&Cs would be automatically unfair unless justified for valid ETO reasons. We do not have an agenda of wanting to remove TUPE transfer employees to replace with staff on our own T&Cs, nor do we impose Northgate T&Cs on TUPE transfer staff after a period of time by way of a harmonisation programme. We view the skills and experience of the existing staff as an important factor for the BSF project and look at how we can take advantage of this.

One of the features of the Kent BSF programme that we put forward was the move to an interim service ahead of the BSF implementations. The move to BSF involves change in certain areas and the interim service approach allows us to work with employees to understand and manage the change, also looking at how we can develop skills to capitalise on any opportunities that arise. As you may expect, opportunities do arise on such large programmes, and we are keen to progress staff that have the right skills and perform to a high level.

By way of example in relation to TUPE staff, in Kent we offered senior positions in the BSF team, Client Delivery Manager and Operations Team Leader, to two of the most able Network Managers at Financial Close. In the following six months, another Network Manager has taken up the post of Technical Baseline Consultant, we have a Senior Technician on secondment in a Network Manager post and a Technician has taken on Senior Technician responsibilities. We are also exploring development paths for roles either as Junior Solution Architects or Education ICT Consultants. We have also progressed other staff into Implementation Engineer roles and another to a Network Manager post.

Once again, I apologise for having to intrude on your forum, but hope you find the information helpful and it helps remove some of the speculation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    maybe northgate themselves would like to offer an explanation
    The Behemoth is watching.
    HR have spent some time on that reply!

------------------------------
    Search Northgate: Kent
    Your search found 0 jobs.
    ------------------------------
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 8th July 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Client Delivery Manager
    Operations Team Leader
    Technical Baseline Consultant
    Junior Solution Architects

Says all

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksawbob View Post
    Client Delivery Manager
    Operations Team Leader
    Technical Baseline Consultant
    Junior Solution Architects

Says all
    Why all the fancy namings lol why cant they just keep it simple

ICT Network Manager
    ICT Technician

simples

Thank Post
    Does this mean that if my school was BSF'd and then I was sacked that I couldn't tell people why I had been sacked?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Does this mean that if my school was BSF'd and then I was sacked that I couldn't tell people why I had been sacked?
    No, you have to sign a gagging order to be gagged.... I suspect he got some favorable terms in exchange for a good ol gagging.

Thank Post
    however I stress that you have not been presented with the full facts
    Well who's fault is that?

Once again, I apologise for having to intrude on your forum, but hope you find the information helpful and it helps remove some of the speculation.
    IMO if you make/force/encourage someone into a gagging order, not only are you saying "We have something to hide" but you also waive your right to preventing people being speculative about the situation.

I'm an advocate of free speech and I don't like this at all. It is ashame the OP felt the need to enter into such an agreement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast