witch (30th April 2009)
From the stress doing CVs and not getting no call backs, then I stumbled upon this website (thank u lord!!!). Thanks to all forum users who helped me with advice and special thanks to Sarah (dont remember her forum user name) for helping me with my CV.
Ok....I got an interview at Woodley Primary Sch, in Stockport on the 7th of may. It's an entry level job so I guess the test which they may give should be a drop in the bucket. I have never been interviewed in the UK before, anyone has any experience to shed?
witch (30th April 2009)
be calm and collected, and dont lie about anything to make yourself sound better, it will only kick you in the arse later on.
I work in Stockport but one of the primary schools, this is confusing, I thought AVA supported all the primaries?
OK. But what will they ask me?
Depends what they want.
What do you know about SIMS?
Do you know how to do a FMS upgrade?
How would you deal with a child, that say, has been sick on the keyboard (some better example)?
How would deal with a computer you can't repair?
General MS Office\Windows stuff
If you have to train\teach - stuff re that.
Have you got a copy of the job ad you could post?
Last edited by matt40k; 29th April 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Updated with guff
The job description does not state anything about SIMS. This is what they said:
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage the day to day maintenance of the school’s systems including networks, setting up new accounts, maintaining password integrity, internet filters and virus management.
• Installation, support and maintenance of PCs, laptops, workstations and other technology items, organising repairs as required.
• Testing, installation and support of software.
• To offer practical support in the teaching and learning activities relating to ICT.
• Assistance and support for school staff with software and hardware issues.
• Responsibility for back up of systems.
• Maintaining an awareness of new developments in the field of ICT.
• Liaise with ICT co-ordinator with regard to ordering, distribution and installation of all ICT equipment and consumables.
• Maintenance of accurate records (equipment, software and licences).
• To assist in the maintenance of the school website.
• Update and maintain media screen.
• Liaise with outside agencies with regard to technical problems.
• Operate within the Health and Safety policies of the school, LA and national bodies.
• Carry out any other reasonable duties within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibility of the job.
General stuff about toner\ink stock levels - general stock control
Read becta stuff on internet filter maybe encryption etc if you want to look good
Anything about there MIS system is a bonus.
Read becta backups, also look up grandfather-father-son
Check what Stockport LA are saying on there website
"organising repairs " ie pc broke, phone dell (or whoever) get them to replace\repair\order new parts
bit of web design (nice summer work)
Oh and prove you can lift a computer (or such) - trust that won't be too hard
Good luck! I expect your cv helper was witch. Just be yourself, and as advised earlier don't try to pretend to be anything that you aren't.
Also, as its an entry level post, make sure that you come across as keen to develop and learn and follow school procedures.
Fingers crossed for you!
Yea it was wich who helped. I'll read more on their website and see what they have. I'll be calm and respond to what they ask and I wont lie on anything. Fingers cross yes and all the best.
My grandmother used to be headteacher there.... it's a lovely little school so best of luck.
I wish your grandmother was still. Id be GE-HELL-ADD.
She retired in the 80's!!!!
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)