+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, my first ICT Technician interview in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi all, I have an interview coming up in a few days that will last half a day and have ...

Thank Post

my first ICT Technician interview

Hi all,

I have an interview coming up in a few days that will last half a day and have been told that it will consist of a written exam, practical exam and an interview. They said they can't tell me anything else. The post appears to be an Entry Level position as there are not many "Essential" criteria on the job specification and the salary appears to be quite low. What can I expect to be doing in the tests for an entry level position?

I have a Computing Science degree and since graduating my commercial experience has been in Software Development. I graduated in 2006. I don't have any Technician experience but one of the jobs I had as a software developer involved creating software for a school and I did work on site with the customer sometimes. I really want a change from the software development and recently attended a teaching taster course. Although I don't want to pursue a career in teaching I really enjoyed working in the school environment and that is why I have applied for the ICT Technician job.

I have never been to an interview for an ICT Technician job before and an wondering about the structure. Does the school interview all of the applicants on the same day? I am also worried coming from a software development background that many of the other applicants may have "technician skills" and that could mean that I don't really have much chance against them? I guess this depends how much emphasis the school puts on these particular skills.

I am just looking for any help/advice/support for a first interview experience.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    First of all Good luck with your first ICTTec interview. all the interview will be held in same day. you can meet all the applicants. Normally first ICT head/ NM will take you for a school tour. Then might be a written exam finally face to face interview. in the interview for all the questions relate your past experience to the answer. be positive. you may be asked Active directory, users and user groups, back ups and antivirus etc.

Written exam mostly will test your wide knowledge in ICT.
    Good luck

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From my experience, I have always interviewed the applicants on the same day, but the interviews were always done seperately by myself and the headteacher/bursar, then we have given them individual jobs to do and then have them do a task TOGETHER to assess teamwork ability - This is usually installing various different linux distro's and various modules for it. Some may have good knowledge, others not so good, so it is a chance to see how they convey their knowledge.

Also we do a thorough check on the background information we have been given (job references), and we have checked employment history and education history. You would be surprised at the amount of people who lie on their CV!!!

In terms of the written and practical exam, make sure you have brushed up on all that you think you need to know, and then some. Entry level can mean adding people on active directory, or network printer installations, or terminating network cables, it varies from place to place. And also make sure you always refer to the children as students, as in our place, saying children puts you low on the list, as you cannot see them as children, you "should" see them as young learners.

I hope that helps

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's quite a lot of discussion about what to expect in an ICT Tech interview already on the forums that I won't go into here.

What I would say is that a software degree isn't going to help or hinder you. On the one hand it shows you have an interest in computers, but I would be very surprised if anything that you learned at degree level could be applied to an entry level ICT post.

As long as you have basic technical skills (ie, can swap out RAM or other CPU components), understand basic windows and likely troubleshooting problems (network issues, printers, office software) then you should be fine.

Eagerness to learn is paramount, with personal and communication skills a close second in my opinion. Everything else is a bonus.

Thank Post
    I didn't get the job but apparently it was between me and someone else and was really close. They said it came down to the other person being really confident and I seemed a little nervous in the interview. I am really upset about not getting the job especially as I didn't think I was coming across as nervous but I suppose it is all good experience.

I don't know how I can improve on this in the future and am a little puzzled by the feedback really. I was expecting another reason such as I gave a wrong answer to a question or I could have done better on the written test or at least something but there just wasn't anything like that.

Thank Post
    NO WAY! Seems like I have to think about my wife is cheating on me for me not being nervous when it's my turn. Hope you get lucky next time.

All the best.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitbat18 View Post
    I didn't get the job but apparently it was between me and someone else and was really close. They said it came down to the other person being really confident and I seemed a little nervous in the interview. I am really upset about not getting the job especially as I didn't think I was coming across as nervous but I suppose it is all good experience.

I don't know how I can improve on this in the future and am a little puzzled by the feedback really. I was expecting another reason such as I gave a wrong answer to a question or I could have done better on the written test or at least something but there just wasn't anything like that.

As an ex interviewer, I have to say that that is a rubbish reason. A good interviewer will always be able to see past nervousness, so either they were not good, or it was just an excuse as they don't have any real reason why they picked the other person.
    Cast it aside like a sweaty sock (as my old Morse lecturer used to say) and move on. Don't dwell on it - think positively - you obviously did fine in the technical bits if that is all they could think of to say about you!

8. 2 Thanks to witch:

fruitbat18 (30th April 2009), mrtechsystems (18th October 2009)

Thank Post
    I agree with Witch, especially as the old "it was really close, was down to you and 1 other person" is a trademark classic fob off reason. Absolutely textbook imo.

10. Thanks to Jake from:

mrtechsystems (18th October 2009)

Thank Post
    unless there was only two people that went for the interview

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I agree with Witch, especially as the old "it was really close, was down to you and 1 other person" is a trademark classic fob off reason. Absolutely textbook imo.
    Do you think there was something dodgy going on then that they couldn't tell me? I also felt like I was being fobbed off with something that didn't quite add up. I did wonder if perhaps someone knew someone else....... (if you know what I mean)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent99 View Post
    unless there was only two people that went for the interview
    Heehee No there were 5 people including me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitbat18 View Post
    Do you think there was something dodgy going on then that they couldn't tell me? I also felt like I was being fobbed off with something that didn't quite add up. I did wonder if perhaps someone knew someone else....... (if you know what I mean)
    You probably were being fobbed off, but it will be impossible to prove anything so I would just do as Witch says and move on. If I had to guess I would say that as you were applying at entry level and have a degree in Software Engineering, plus worked as a software developer they felt you would either be bored in the role or that you would quickly leave and move on to something better paid.

15. Thanks to somabc from:

fruitbat18 (30th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    As an ex interviewer, I have to say that that is a rubbish reason. A good interviewer will always be able to see past nervousness, so either they were not good, or it was just an excuse as they don't have any real reason why they picked the other person.
    Cast it aside like a sweaty sock (as my old Morse lecturer used to say) and move on. Don't dwell on it - think positively - you obviously did fine in the technical bits if that is all they could think of to say about you!
    Thank you for your answer, appreciate the comments and I feel better about it now. They said my written and practical tests were fine. I guess I was just hoping for something more constructive as I really tried hard and put a lot of effort in to research the school and do my best. They even said I asked all the right questions in the interview and answered all their questions well. We had a tour round the school and I asked the student plenty of questions on that but it wasn't to be.

So I shall cast it aside like a sweaty sock! and move on.

This is in contrast to an NHS interview I went for a while back. I didn't get the job but I got really good feedback from them. They said it came down to experience but they spent time with me going through areas I could improve on and other types of jobs in the NHS I could apply for that would use my skills.

17. Thanks to fruitbat18 from:

mrtechsystems (18th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    You probably were being fobbed off, but it will be impossible to prove anything so I would just do as Witch says and move on. If I had to guess I would say that as you were applying at entry level and have a degree in Software Engineering, plus worked as a software developer they felt you would either be bored in the role or that you would quickly leave and move on to something better paid.
    I don't want to prove anything or take it further, I am happy to move on . I guess I am just interested to understand in case this happens in the future to try to avoid it. The job went to someone who is just about to graduate. I think you are right though, it sounds like it could be something like that. I think that if someone is just about to graduate they would probably have a few other interviews lined up so a similar thing could also happen with them.

Thank Post
    Happens to the best of us. Pick up move on. Happened to me loads of times. Keep looking on your local council website as well school websites if schools is the place you want to be. How about teaching? Perhaps the better career choice nowa days.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast