+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, job hunt is getting me down :( in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm 24, what i would call my ideal job to start off with would be a ICT Technician as be ...
    nit

Thank Post

job hunt is getting me down :(

I'm 24, what i would call my ideal job to start off with would be a ICT Technician as be a great learning experiences for me. I don't have too much experience behind me but i have done some voluntary work as a ICT Technician for a few months after I left uni for a company in birmingham and I also have some experience working in a school but it is in admin and also Exam Invigilating in the coventry and birmingham area's.

Well now i'm just getting down beat i'm getting really bored and depressed that the fact I have been applying for every IT job (that im qualified for) I can find but im still out of full time work.
    It almost 2 years since i left uni and i'm still not in full time employment and that i'm a million miles away from what i really would like to achieve in my life, currently there doesn't seem to be any jobs out there in the coventry and birmingham area's.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No entry level technicians needed at any schools? I think thats the best way to go, thats how i started...

3. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Keep at it! It took me 3 years to break into the IT industry, I worked in retail for the interim period while applying for every ICT vacancy going, including ones I felt I wasn't qualified for. Eventually I got lucky and got a job, and I've slowly worked my way up the ladder from Technican to Network manager working in 3 different schools over tha last 5 years.

Are you getting as far as interviews for some of the jobs you've applied for, or are you just getting no where at all? If you're not even getting interviews, maybe you need to revise your CV and letter writing skills to make you stand out from the crowd a bit more.

5. Thanks to maniac from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    what is your location? Are you willing to commute to work?

7. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

nit

Thank Post
    well i've been looking everywhere (local news papers, websites,ect ect) and there hasn't been a job advertised for an ict technician in the birmingham area or coventry and god knows how much I really what this to happen now, it just getting very depressing now , opps I live in coventry and i'm more then willing to commute to work

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lozells needs a temp technician...there is another one on there to.

Welcome to Birmingham eBriefing System

If i was you i'd apply for anything and everything....what the worse they're gonna say...no?

10. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

nit (21st April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Obviously these boards are somewhere to keep an eye on for jobs... quite often people will post jobs they spot in their own local papers!

It might be worth considering applying for a job that means you have to move... you'll be living in rented for a while without family support on your doorstep, but it's a way on to the ladder.

If you are bored, I'd suggest contacting local schools in your area, offering your services on a voluntary basis. Having taken a career break due to my children, I returned to IT by accident doing voluntary work in a school... looking after the library.

The school's network got hit by a virus 3 days before Ofsted were due in. The regular tech was in hospital (not my fault ) and I admitted that I knew what to do... that was 7 years ago

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Im in the same boat looking for jobs. But im different. I have guts to startup a little company of my own. Next week ill be giving out flyers door-door and see how that works out. Im glad that im great in electronics so that I can repair electronic devices. Who knows...I may post a job offer here for a secretary lol.

14. Thanks to IT_Master from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    dont worry mate, keep applying, you need time and willingness, if you click dont look at the distance just accept it. i do travel 1hour and 30 mts to work.
    good luck

16. Thanks to lionsl2005 from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Entry level positions for IT are hard to get but not impossible. Keep at it!

If you demonstrate a keen interest in IT and tecnology outside of work it definatly aids your application.

18. Thanks to Sandman from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post

Cool have you considered...

I did a modern apprenticeship, spotted it on my local council website and I'm doing a part time foundation degree in computing on day release for free (through a student grant system) As you're under 24 you're still eligible to qualify for a modern apprenticeship as a young person (I think). I've been really lucky to land in with a really good team who've taught me loads - I was a complete novice when I started! It's a 2 year apprenticeship that's normall offered, starting pay isn't great for the first year but you do get a free degree!

20. Thanks to ljlbray from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shame you are not closer as I believe 2 lower schools in my area are looking for technicians, (15 hours each) and they are around 10 mins walk from each other so you could have in theory applied to both! I think they want someone local though which is a bit of a shame!

22. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nit View Post
    I'm 24
    Look out for the budget this afternoon, I think there's a training deal being announced for you youngsters.

i have done some voluntary work as a ICT Technician for a few months after I left uni
    What did you do at university?

--
    David Hicks

24. Thanks to dhicks from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

nit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Look out for the budget this afternoon, I think there's a training deal being announced for you youngsters.
    youngster?? hahahaha i feel like a very old bitter man at the moment , at university i did computing as my degree and it covered alot from web design, network (also did cisco well level 1), alot of IS, HCI. I guess i was just having a bad day when i wrote this, Thanks for all the replies you guy/girls have given it has cheered me up

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Should definately look at the voluntary option I had two volunteers work for me at my previous post they both got jobs within a few months of working there (they'd been out of work for 6 - 12 months before that).

Wes

27. Thanks to wesleyw from:

nit (22nd April 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast