+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Mentoring in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I was listening to manager tools podcast on mentoring a lot of us here mentor people in very informal way ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Mentoring

I was listening to manager tools podcast on mentoring a lot of us here mentor people in very informal way (heck the whole site in somes way is built on mass mentoring).

But mentoring seems to have gone out window thses days I remember being mentored in college by a senior technician and it was invuable.

Do people think having mentors is a good thing do you think these days people starting out in there careers need that help in finding mentors...

views, discuss

Russ

Thank Post
    Sorry to drag an old thread back up. But after recently seeing a youtube video DEFCON 18: Be a Mentor 1/2 - YouTube about The InfoSecMentors Project - Be a mentor! Make a difference! - Home, I wondered if there was something similar for IT technician's. There doesn't appear to be, though perhaps I didn't look hard enough. But a mentoring scheme similar to theirs would be beneficial for not only a technician starting their career but also the mentor. For the technician starting out it could be useful to have someone who can suggest good technical books, pieces of software useful to the job, advice on dealing with unhappy customers/teachers/students, or just ways of organising and prioritising tasks etc etc. For the mentor, it could be a chance to give back to the technician community where if they were once mentored they can then pass on their knowledge. It would also be a chance to know your making a difference in not only the school/college/uni you work in, but also the school/college/uni in which the technician works. Hopefully like the infosec scheme those that are mentored could then go on to mentor another technician in time.

Though perhaps as russdev says
    the whole site in somes way is built on mass mentoring
    and thus it could be a completely unnecessary thing now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread