+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; When you say you've applied for a lot of jobs, per chance were they through agencies on Reed and places ...
    Thank Post
    When you say you've applied for a lot of jobs, per chance were they through agencies on Reed and places like that, they put alot of fake jobs up when they're quiet (my partner is in recruitment), they harvest CV's and put them on sysetms, hunt your references to see whether they need jobs filling and if you've recently left a job... they will call up to see if they can fill your role... sneaky hobbits.

You will find something, keep spirits high and in the meantime boosting your knowledge and learning can't hurt. Best of luck.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 5th June 2009 at 02:13 PM.

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zdenka View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but isn't this open to abuse? I mean, the employer might be better off trying new people every month and being paid handsomly?
    Yes, it's open to abuse, but the terms and conditions are quite restrictive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Have you considered the possibility that maybe there were simply better candidates, who came across better in interview?
    If I don't even get an interview, how could anyone know who's the better candidate? dwhyte85 was the successful candidate for one of the many vacancies I applied for, and I'm sure could shed far more light on this subject than I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I can't see naming and shaming as the best way to encourage people to hire you. It's bordering on blackmail.
    Maybe you're right, legal action at the taxpayers expense instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Why do you insist on it being discrimination, at this time there are simply hundreds of candidates for jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Indeed. A store to be opened in wellingborough advertising 25 posts had 1800 people apply!
    There are tens of thousands of unskilled vacancies, retail or otherwise, and several million suitable candidates.
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Is that some sort of scheme for those who've been out of work for 12 months or more? Never heard of it; is it recent?
    There are several schemes, most are provided by local councils and charities. The government has a £1000 recruitment subsidy scheme for employers of job seekers over six months unemployed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If I don't even get an interview, how could anyone know who's the better candidate? dwhyte85 was the successful candidate for one of the many vacancies I applied for, and I'm sure could shed far more light on this subject than I could.
    If you're not even getting to interview it might be worth taking another look at your CV to see how it could be improved. Not getting an interview is generally a sign that your CV didn't stand out to whoever's doing the selection, rather than anything else.

Maybe you're right, legal action at the taxpayers expense instead?
    If you think you have a case, yes. Go for it. Much better than risking the company in question going after you for slander or libel because of statements you might put about them.

There are tens of thousands of unskilled vacancies, retail or otherwise, and several million suitable candidates.
    Not all retail positions are unskilled, regardless of what you may believe. That store would have been looking for others as well. You'll also probably find that some of the applicants are skilled workers, who are willing to take any position they can, even outside their field.

Have you actually asked for help with your CV on here? I know you've said that you've got lots of experience in writing a CV and application forms but the fact that you're not getting to interview suggests it might be worth having someone with a different perspective look at your work.

Thank Post
    My partner is the Manager for an IT Recruitment Company, based across UK.

If you send me your CV I will ask if he will send it out through his database to every company that utilises your skills. He will also attach a covering email and see if you match any current roles he has..

I also used to work in IT Recruitment so maybe I can help out with I/V techniques, CV writing, where to look for jobs, how to market yourself let me know!

Email/PM me if this is of interest!

5. Thanks to Mandy from:

AXE (12th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    My partner is the Manager for an IT Recruitment Company, based across UK.

If you send me your CV I will ask if he will send it out through his database to every company that utilises your skills. He will also attach a covering email and see if you match any current roles he has..

I also used to work in IT Recruitment so maybe I can help out with I/V techniques, CV writing, where to look for jobs, how to market yourself let me know!

Email/PM me if this is of interest!
    Me too, I used to be an IT headhunter: I have already offered my services in CV writing and interview techniques, as have others, but he doesn't seem to want to take us up on it at all. Shame really as I am sure that between us we might be able to help

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Is this an Axe only offer or open to others as well? I've been unemployed for 2months now and apart from 2 interviews ("overqualified" for one and the other wanted someone with more exchange hackery experiance) I've not had much.
    I think most likely it's due to being in South Wales and they don't want the hassle of someone relocating, but it would be nice to at least know that that is the major problem and not my CV/covering letter

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Offer open to anyone, Midget, especially an old-time Edugeeker like yourself!
    pm me with your cv and any jobs you are currently applying for and covering letters. I won't be able to do much this weekend as I am in a concert on Sunday (playing with the local Symphony Orchestra - boast) but I will look at it as soon as I can!

9. 3 Thanks to witch:

AXE (12th June 2009), Midget (11th June 2009), mossj (23rd June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    Maybe my interview technique isn't as good as others. There's a very good reason for that. I have autism, and it takes a great deal of effort on my part to overcome. I feel that I do very well at interviews considering the difficulties I have with communication. I make sure that interviewers are well informed of my needs.
    I guessed that you had. I have aspergers which is closely linked to autism and you wrote your initial post in exactly the same way that I might have done (i.e. going into great detail, prehaps more than was necessary). I know what you have to contend with as I have to deal with it myself. Me personally, I just don't mention it unless asked. I also try and overcome things which I know are obvious symptoms, like lack of eye contact (something a previous employer mentioned).

11. Thanks to _Bat_ from:

AXE (18th June 2009)

Thank Post
    The things I am about to say to Axe may sound harsh, but reality is. Please don't beat me up!

1. Don't be scared of criticism. The folk in this forum are good folks and are not going to beat you up for the hell of it. Your CV/app form technique may be lacking - let those who have offered help you do what they are good at.

2. An employer doesn't care how hard you have to work to control your autism. They only care about getting the best person for the job.

3. If you applying for as many positions as you say, you are not playing to your strengths. There is no point applying to be a diplomatic officer if you have bad autism - it's just a waste of time.

4. Apply for too many positions, especially through recruitment agencies, and it can become a case of "oh no, not him again", and they don't even seriously consider you.

13. Thanks to f21970 from:

AXE (18th June 2009)

Thank Post
    any luck so far axe?

with summer approaching u may be able to get in a school who need ICT help over the summer holidays.

Thank Post
    my job is currently being advertised as I'm moving on in a few weeks.

PM me for more details if you want!

16. Thanks to KarlGoddard from:

AXE (24th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    It does sounds like your very down, but I also think you are a little paranoid. As many people have pointed out there are LOTS of people who are unemployed and jobs have hundreds of people applying for them. I know it's not nice to hear, but you aren't the only one in this position. And it may be that there are other candidates who are more suited to the job. For those jobs that you think your are guarenteed an interview, you may find that you are not in the right frame of mind to fill in the application form to the best of your ability.

I have to say that it sound like you need a break. I know its hard to do, but for the sake of your health you might want to have a rest for applying for work for a week or two. Or agreeing with Grommit here, have you tried looking at doing some courses? I realise this may not be what you want to do, but it will at least give you a distraction from applying constantly for jobs?
    Well I wouldn't look for work now as Primark has 14000 applicants for 400 jobs and the jobs were low paid.... says something for the state of employment

Thank Post
    its hard in almost any industry to get a job at the momment! there seem to be a few techy jobs on here tho!

Thank Post
    This is #104 in posts 10 of these posts are offering help including some from myself.

AXE I understand why you are angry about this but we Edugeekers have been trying to help you since 10-04-2009 when Witch asked you to PM her your CV, if you are unwilling to listen to feedback from peers then how do you deal with recieving feedback from interviewers.

I posted my CV on EduGeek 04-06-2008, 03:57 PM by 04-06-2008, 06:30 PM I had comments and suggestions on improving it.

My CV

The help provided by the kind people on Edugeek helped me get a 4 month contract which has just been extended again for another 10 months, Right now im working on numerous projects including MOSS, RAS, AD, Exchange, Encryption and it definately doesnt get boring.

Once again AXE I offer you my services so that I can look at your CV and maybe help you the way Edugeek has helped me

Cheers Edugeekers

Thank Post

Reads very much like my current experience.....

I have been out of IT work since February, when the funding was pulled and 3 others and I got let go. I have never been unemployed in 22 years, now it seems I can find nothing. I am on this site as I looking at applying for an ICT Technician post locally. Pay is £12,700 tops, which makes me wince as my last years accounts were 4 times this.

I also am registered with umpteen agencies and will consider any work, but nothing seems to come up. Like Axe, I think it is my lack of the paperwork (qualifications) despite the 12 years of high level IT experience in email, anti virus and BlackBerry/PDA use. I have been quite good with the money I have earned and am not in dire straits, yet, hence I must consider even this role, £200 per week will at least pay some of the regular bills.

I have completed the ECDL course and am starting a Fibre-optic and data-comms course next week to freshen up my CV, but beyond that, there seems little any of us can do except wait for the upturn, whilst doing what we can to keep afloat.

Latimer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast