+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Would there even be 100 new jobs advertised daily anyhow?...
    Thank Post
    Would there even be 100 new jobs advertised daily anyhow?

Thank Post
    I think 100 IT jobs a day is possible but i dont see hwo you could claim to be good in all fields of IT

Thank Post
    Hi,
    sorry to hear of your plight - I would echo some advice about tailoring applications.
    I have helped a couple of friends get jobs at county council(not IT) by advising on application forms.
    You need to go thorugh and tailor your reply to fit with the specific things they are asking for i.e. necessary and desirable skills - put in an actual real life example for each one (e.g. not I have had 5 years experience in excel but spefiic dates/projects).
    A lot of HR will just mark the applications on how many of the crtieria you meet and total them up to decide who gets an interview - this was how I was told to do it when going through applications as manager.
    You can put bullet points in for each attribute - you may find it leads to more interviews,
    good luck Mark

4. Thanks to maark from:

AXE (27th April 2009)

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    You can't apply for 100 a day!
    - Yes I can.

Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    Would there even be 100 new jobs advertised daily anyhow?
    - It's a big country. There are still a lot of new vacancies if you look over a wide area.

Quote Originally Posted by Joh619 View Post
    Where do you even find 100 jobs a day to apply for?
    - Look here Job Sites

Quote Originally Posted by UKDarkstar View Post
    100 a day does sound a bit excessive and must be hard to do them justice - say 10 hours a day on it, that's still 10 in an hour.... just doesn't sound like you can be really targetting them properly if you're spending an average of 6 mins per app.
    - It's a 24/7 job! Sometimes I'll spend 20 hours perfecting an application, with a phone call, references and a few letters of support.

Do you have a folder of premade applications for each kind of post?
    - Pretty much. Hundreds of hours have gone into them, even so, I will usually tweak them for each application.

If you can I would take time out doing something you enjoy and perhaps some qualifications/volunteering or an opensource project so that when you come back you feel more 'fresh'.
    - Yes, I am very much in need of a break! Unfortunately, the job centre doesn't consider time spent improving my employment prospects (or my health) as "finding employment". They impose rigid and inflexible limits on the number of hours you can spend studying/volunteering.

Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    axe, you need to get in touch with your local newspaper. They need to know about you. you'd make a good feature story.
    - Yes, an excellent suggestion! Though my former employer would love to see that I've been unemployed for 18 months; any publicity is good publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    A different approach to job hunting I know, however, it is often the innovative approach that catches the eye of a prospective employer.
    - Yes, I have something planned along those lines. Possibly involving a motorway. Hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    as you say you work in a repair shop, how about doing some electronics qualifications, btec, city and guilds etc, this area is not too far away from computers, and might be interesting to you, plus it opens a whole new area of employment.
    - I appreciate the suggestion. I did an apprenticeship that covered that sort of thing; Transistors, resistance, domestic and commercial electrical installations.

Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    You need to go through and tailor your reply to fit with the specific things they are asking for i.e. necessary and desirable skills - put in an actual real life example for each one (e.g. not I have had 5 years experience in excel but spefiic dates/projects).
    A lot of HR will just mark the applications on how many of the criteria you meet and total them up to decide who gets an interview - this was how I was told to do it when going through applications as manager. You can put bullet points in for each attribute - you may find it leads to more interviews.
    - Very good advice!

I appreciate the advice to spend more time on applications, but what more can I do when most adverts are as basic as this:

IT Manager - 1st / 2nd / 3rd line

Windows / Networks / Servers - Hands-on / Remote Support

A new and exciting position is urgently available for an immediate start.
    Responsible for the IT systems, you will be experienced in support from 1st to 3rd line. This is in a Windows Environment so skills such as Active Directory, Office, XP, Windows Server 2003, Networks (LAN / WAN / TCP/IP, Firewalls etc), Servers, SQL server, Exchange are essential. The ideal candidate will have the ability to see a problem through to it's conclusion and the desire to move forward and keep systems up to date - there are several upcoming projects to get involved in.

Any qualifications to back up your experience such as MCSE etc would be a real bonus but not essential. Any exposure to telephone systems such as Avaya / Megatel will be a real bonus. Experience in a similar role is important and any soft-skills such as managing 3rd party suppliers, etc will really support your application.

This role is available now for an immediate start - don't miss out, send your CV for URGENT attention.
    Thanks everybody.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    ax> bit of advice on the 100apps a day from what a recruiter told me.
    A recruiter/hr person will recieve at least 500 applications for a ~25k IT Support position (ie a middle manager type position) in the first day. If you aren't applying within a few minutes of the job being put online they probably won't see your details unless all the people before you weren't suitable.

7. Thanks to Midget from:

AXE (27th April 2009)

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    If you aren't applying within a few minutes of the job being put online they probably won't see your details unless all the people before you weren't suitable.
    That's why RSS feeds are so important.

Thank Post
    That's a bloody good idea! Can't believe I never thought of it.

I might have missed it, and you very well may not want to do it, but why don't you put up your CV so that people can comment on it to see if there are any problems with it? After 18 months it might be worth getting someone like Fullers to review your CV.

After seeing that you are on a similar level to me experiance and qualifications wise (I have a ComSc degree) I have to say I'm not looking forward to the job hunt (company I was head of IT for have just 'ceased trading'.) especially after being told I'm over qualified and a flight risk for most support jobs, and anything else is asking for ITIL, PRINCE2 and MCSE.

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    I'm not looking forward to the job hunt (company I was head of IT for have just 'ceased trading'.) especially after being told I'm over qualified and a flight risk for most support jobs.
    I've had exactly the same experience, that's why I have so many CVs.

I recently applied for a Network Manager position, and spent many, many hours completing the application form, cover letter, etc. Probably the most time I have ever spent on an application, since the job, and the school was perfecty suited to me and my experience. I sent off my application and two days later (before the closing date) was told that the position has been withdrawn but I am welcome to apply for a new vacancy - Senior IT Technician. I applied, but was unsuccessful (you can guess why).

Good luck with the job hunt, and let me know how it's going.

Thank Post
    what was the reason they gave? did you get an interview?

Thank Post
    I have not followed all of this thread, but followed some of it.

I have just had a chat with a recuitment agency about vanacies etc. As the BSF situation has got me thinking that I should not take my future employment prospects for granted.

Before working in this job I was a TDA for a large UK telecomms group and designed and implemeted the largest European MS Exchange 2000 network at that time. To cut a long story short I decided I wanted to travel with work less so took a job in a local secondary school, and have really enjoyed it. I get to work on Linux, Windows 2008, Exchange, SQL, Zimbra, Moodle, c#, PHP etc etc. Where in my last job I worked on very narrow job area. In many ways I feel my current technical skills are broader and have improved in general. I have also saved the school money implementing open source, support software in house etc.

What was dissapointing after my chat with the recruitment agency is that despite all the excellent technical and commercial work I have done, I was getting the impression that working in a school does not seem to cary very much kudos! So it looks as though I may find it hard to break out of the education sector.

Is this lack of kudos for the work done in schools a common view point? A couple of people also seem to have alluded to the fact that they have find it hard to move on? I have now worked in schools for 6 years and I have enjoyed it, but curious to know if I may find it difficult to move on now ?

Tim

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    Is this lack of kudos for the work done in schools a common view point?
    sadly, yes. When I wanted to leave the school I was working in I spent ages applying for stuff and kept getting rejected and was told by some recruiters that it was (most likely) because I was coming from the public sector which is seen as lazy and IT in schools is still seen as a bloke in a broom cupboard. I had to take a minor paycut and got a job doing data recovery before anywhere would even look at me.

Thank Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone else experienced this as well?

I'd like thoughts on this too, as I am struggling. Had good feedback from recruiters regarding my CV, covering letter, presentation, good reference etc.

I've applied for entry level, 1st line support for banks (with no previous experience of this role required) and got no where. Where my last role was far more involved, but similair money.

In the end I decided not to worry about it been a helpdesk role as it was a foot in the door.

I'm guessing though if you get someone apply who has done help desk before they are still more desireable, or a uni graduate etc is.

I'm just going to keep my head up and keep trying.

Thank Post
    I had no idea that IT roles in schools were perceived so differently, I've been looking for a new job for around 6 months with only one interview in that time and now I'm beginning to see why. I've picked up SO much useful experience as the network manager at my current school, but I'm wondering now if it could get to the stage where I start having to leave things off my CV so I don't seem overqualified if I start applying for 1st line/helpdesk jobs? It all makes for depressing reading (as does this thread as a whole, hope you find something soon AXE)

16. Thanks to lefthandandy from:

AXE (30th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    For external roles:
    I think that you really have to spell out on your cv exactly what your role as technician/NM involves... Some stats on your team size, numbers of users, PCs, servers, etc

Also the bit about ensuring that 'teaching & learning' can continue uninterrupted means fast responses need.

If applying for jobs in schools:
    I think you need to add to your cv about how much you (could) get out of being involved in school life.

It seems to me that many of the techs on these boards who get most out of their roles are the ones who are willing to drive the minibus/help with sports day/support the school play/hold hands with tinies as they go on a trip...

Headteachers like staff who don't get jobsworth and are happy to become involved in the school family... of course while still doing the job they're paid for!

18. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

AXE (30th April 2009), lefthandandy (30th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    For external roles:
    If applying for jobs in schools:
    I think you need to add to your cv about how much you (could) get out of being involved in school life.

It seems to me that many of the techs on these boards who get most out of their roles are the ones who are willing to drive the minibus/help with sports day/support the school play/hold hands with tinies as they go on a trip...

Headteachers like staff who don't get jobsworth and are happy to become involved in the school family... of course while still doing the job they're paid for!
    Seconded.... Aswell as being Network Manager I also teach 6 hours a week of Music Technology, spent 5 years as a member of the boarding house staff (4 of those as Deputy Head of Boarding) and prior to that was also doing the marketing and promotion of the School.

Think about what you can offer the whole School not just from an IT perspective.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast