+ Post New Thread
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by e_g_r I've been watching this thread since it first came out and beleive it has a lot ...
    theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r View Post
    I've been watching this thread since it first came out and beleive it has a lot of +'ve stuff for Axe.

If you can't be positive Troll off somewhere else is all i can say and let the +'ve people help Axe get on job ladder as he deserves.

Regretfully, and despite all the "+'ve" help he is receiving, he has to also deal with the negative aspects of job hunting which we are assured he can.

I don't think anyone has 'trolled' per se, but the expectation seems to be, if you are going to make a contribution to this thread, then you should make sure you are up to speed with what's gone before.

That seems fair enough, but for such a long thread, new contributions may well go over old and accidentally missed subject matter, appearing unhelpful when in actual fact that wasn't the intention.

The result is a discussion about something totally unconnected to the matter itself.

For that reason, I think it's best left to those who have the matter seemingly in hand and/or have followed it from the start. I doubt there is anything 'fresh' that can be added to Axe's plight anyway.

2. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

e_g_r (29th December 2009)

AXE
    Thank Post
    I really need something to happen soon. I haven't even left the house in weeks.

Thank Post
    keep going mate, work will come eventually. Have you applied for anything recently? Fingers crossed for you.

Thank Post
    Well instead of staying in the house be proactive and go do something. There is still lots of jobs out there that you could do even if its not in IT it will get the motivation again to work. Even if you find something to do free.

Even Try creating a letter and send it out to local schools for a free consultation visit where you go in and look at there systems and suggest how to improve and if they wish to take you on to do that work or over see the project then you can be on a contract with them.

Making threads saying i need something to happen i think is just a bit attention seeking to be perfectly honest. Yes we know you have a form of autism and you may find it difficult to find a place but if your willing to do anything not just in IT you will find something.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,627 Posts
    Any jobs on the horizon? I know you did well at the last one even though you didn't get it...

Keep going

Thank Post
    what about something like voluntary work? charity shops etc... good for the cv and will get you back inot the swing of things?

Thank Post
    Axe - Im sorry but I simply dont understand anymore! I cant grasp your feelings and thoughts and I just want to give you a shake and say man up and just do any job.

What else can we do, we are just a digital entity who seems to pander to your need for a confidence boost. Its time you seek help from somewhere else, someone who really knows what your going through and can be your medicine and your motivation not a group of people who have little or no clue whats going on in your head.

We do care, despite the way it may seem sometimes, but we are frustrated just as you!

For your sake and ours, take stock, plan a course of action and go for it, its shit or bust time! Aim low and work up, great oaks come from small acorns!!

Good Luck

9. Thanks to CHR1S from:

Thank Post
    I agree Chr1s.
    I've followed this saga almost from the start and don't really see what else can be done here without Axe actually changing things himself.

Axe - Yes, you have problems, and your situation isn't good - but stop feeling sorry for yourself.
    Go to the Job Centre. Get whatever freebies are around (despite what you have said you WILL be entitled to some benefits and WILL be offered training!).

The above suggestion of volunteer work is a brilliant one too - if all else fails then go and do some of that. It's better than "not leaving the house for weeks" and will look brilliant on your CV.

If you don't take any of that advice I'm really not sure what else can be done for you here.

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    "he is quite seriously qualified and experienced"
    Is it possible that he has too good a CV, too qualified?

It has put more than one interviewer off that the candidate is more qualified than they are.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    Is it possible that he has too good a CV, too qualified?

It has put more than one interviewer off that the candidate is more qualified than they are.

Actually, yes, I do think this might be a problem for your average network manager's job, which is why I think that, and have suggested, that AXE has more than one CV - ie he 'downgrades' his CV for lower level jobs

Thank Post
    Is AXE near any schools or colleges that could offer him unpaid volentary work?

I employed a techie last year who hadn't had paid work but had done 6 months at a local college and 3 months for a firm, unpaid. Gave him the edge over applicants who only had paper experience.

Again if you can't be helpful Troll off.
    Last edited by e_g_r; 14th January 2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: at least on spelling mistake but cant say there arn't more

Thank Post
    The problem is that this thread is getting a bit long for people to join.
    AXE - it would be helpful if you could detail what you have done to try and get a job and how you have been involved with the jobcentre etc, as well as looking for other jobs - just a bullet-pointed list will do - it might help people who haven't time to go back and read the whole thread but might have something helpful to say

* it is a shame he isn't nearer to me because I would get him in to look at the way one of my networks is set up - I don't think it is ideal but am not quite confident enough to start pulling it to bits

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    * it is a shame he isn't nearer to me because I would get him in to look at the way one of my networks is set up - I don't think it is ideal but am not quite confident enough to start pulling it to bits
    @Witch - PM me if you want me to have look sometime...

Thank Post

My experience

It is hard being unemployed, but posting on these forums is not the way to go (dare I say this thread should be locked), you need to take any work that comes along.

I was unemployed for a long time and did some part time work as a painter, it got me out of the house and gave me a little bit very of extra money. There was a certain amount of hours I could work before it affected my Job Seeker Allowance.

I never counted applying for jobs online as true applications unless it was with an company or school. If I did I applied for 500 a day.

When I was on job seekers allowance they sent me to a gateway project, which in turn sent me on work experience to a local technology college. After my 6 weeks the college kept me on and as they say the rest is history...well almost

I was recently made redundant and I'm now working from home and questioning if it still want to be in IT

So take any job, it will get you out of the house. Do not be scared to take a step back, I've been an IT Tech, Senior IT Tech, IT Manager, Helpdesk Tech, IT Manger and then finally Helpdesk tech

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uk101man View Post
    It is hard being unemployed, but posting on these forums is not the way to go
    I don't disagree that it is not the only thing he should be doing, but to say that it 'isn't the way to go' is a bit harsh, and untrue anyway

I know for a fact that AXE has had help from people on this forum,(certainly with his Cv and ideas for what he can do) and hopefully he feels less alone.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread