+ Post New Thread
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by Danlewis3 Hmmm i am 21 have no qualifications and i am a senior technician/project manager. It must ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danlewis3 View Post
    Hmmm i am 21 have no qualifications and i am a senior technician/project manager. It must be down to your interview technique when i applied for the job i am currently there was 6 of us me being the youngest and the eldest being in his 50's. Some that had completed Cisco and MSCE's qualifications and had experience in IT before hand so there were ALOT more qualified than i am.
    Please read the whole thread before making comments like this - Axe has other problems.
    I am sure there were other reasons why you got the job...not for me to say

Quote Originally Posted by Danlewis3 View Post
    If your getting to interview stage and your the only person i would be concerned that either the questions they ask you which may or may not be reflected on your CV are made up or just put there to bulk up your CV to make it look good, as if an employer is getting you to come in they like the skill set you provide but when it comes down to it you may not have the knowledge or they just dont like you.
    This sentence actually doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you are suggesting that AXE's CV is not good or whatever, then you can stop right there. I have seen it, and it is fine and very detailed. AXE has a wealth of useful experience that the right employer will jump at.
    I don't think that 'they just don't like you' is a very constructive remark.

2. Thanks to witch from:

AXE (18th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's a reason for everything and not of all it is good, that's certain. I think, going on the affirmation of your skills, experience and CV by Witch as well as your undoubted dedication, many employers are perhaps "scared". Scared maybe of what you're capable of doing, or scared because they don't know how to handle someone with a disability that they perhaps don't know enough about. Of course in many cases you may not well be what they're looking for, but short of asking them and getting the truth/fabrication from them directly, you'll never know why.

Could I perhaps make another suggestion; just in case they are in fact scared or uneducated about your disability, would it be worth printing something off to take with you to interviews or to send in with your application - sort of an "Idiots Guide to Aspergers Syndrome" without being condescending. Just a little something to explain what it is, what it means to you as a human being and employee, and what it means for them as an employer.

I'm not actually sure if that's a wise manouvre, maybe someone else has a reason why it wouldn't be, but seeing how much you've gone through so far, just about anything "different" has to be worth a go.

And now it might be time to use Christmas and the Media. Go to the local paper, state your story to them. Give it a "festive feel". "What I'd Like For Christmas More Than Anything".
    Must be worth a go.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem with schools is that because they may deal with kids with dyslexia, Asperger's Syndrome, EBD, etc ... they think they can handle adults with similar conditions ... and on the whole they struggle to.

@Synthesia I love the idea of giving them 'an employer's guide to ...' and have seem similar before from youth work (mainly due to the range of volounteers you get in youth work) ... I might even have something in the loft still. Something to do over the weekend methinks, or when I get back from hols.

5. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

e_g_r (18th December 2009), synaesthesia (19th December 2009)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I don't think that 'they just don't like you' is a very constructive remark.
    I don't believe the remark was a criticism per se, more a potential fact.

It just might be that 'they' (they being Mr A N Other on the interview panel) don't like him. Constructive or not - there's a bridge, get over it. It's a fact.

I've attended interviews in past where I just didn't like where I was or who was interviewing me. I guess it works both ways.

Regretfully, or perhaps fortunately, I don't think I've sat more than 15 interviews in my entire life. I've either been promoted from within an organisation, or got the job I applied for. I don't have the interview experience of some as a candidate, but I've interviewed job applicants probably 150+ times or more, so think that qualifies me to speak from both sides, and from the interviewer's POV, I really haven't liked some of the people I've interviewed.

I am a great advocate of the interview process being a two way thing; you are there as much to find out about them as they are you.

Not that that helps 'AXE' much of course, but it might be something he can remember when he goes to an interview. Being a little too keen will probably kill your chances. Just being interested will strengthen them.

All in my very humble opinion, of course.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    The problem with schools is that because they may deal with kids with dyslexia, Asperger's Syndrome, EBD, etc ... they think they can handle adults with similar conditions ... and on the whole they struggle to.
    Very good point - having worked in many primary schools I get to speak to a lot of special needs staff, speech therapists etc. All of them appear very interested in me in a professional level, pointing out the strange things like why I wasn't diagnosed as a child, why I only started stuttering when I was 18 etc yet none of them are equipped or trained to deal with adults with the condition. Not entirely surprising of course, working with children is very different to adults.

So, on Grumbledook's good point there, it might also be worth saying to prospective employers either in interview or on any paperwork/application that although you do have a disability you don't expect anything from them in regards to it; you're perfectly capable of getting by yourself. Maybe a little more patience, but that's it. Just anything that might allay their fears or misunderstandings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    I don't believe the remark was a criticism per se, more a potential fact.
    I didn't actually say it was - I just said that it wasn't very helpful. I think the person who wrote that hasn't read the rest of the thread and therefore doesn't realise that we have gone through all this with AXE - he knows that sometimes people just don't 'click' with you and there is nothing you can do about it

theeldergeek
    I didn't actually say it was - I just said that it wasn't very helpful. I think the person who wrote that hasn't read the rest of the thread and therefore doesn't realise that we have gone through all this with AXE - he knows that sometimes people just don't 'click' with you and there is nothing you can do about it
    Well, we'll leave it to you then; you seem to have it all in hand

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Well, we'll leave it to you then; you seem to have it all in hand

Huh?
    I was just saying that, due to the previous comments where all this sort of thing (such as the attitude of interviewers) has been discussed in depth by many people on this thread, and AXE's obviously fragile mental state, telling him that some people might not like him isn't very helpful.

You are acting as if I have had a go at you about something - when actually you picked me up on my post!

I believe, as does Grumbledook and others, that AXE can and will get a job - he has lots of very valuable experience but quite a lot to overcome. I'm sorry if you think I am being overbearing but it is the truth that I am one of the few people who has actually seen AXE's CV and therefore I can comment on it and pass on the info that he is quite seriously qualified and experienced. With all the things that have happened to him, it may be that others may think that he can't possibly have a good CV - so I just wanted to put the record straight.

Thank Post
    I've been watching this thread since it first came out and beleive it has a lot of +'ve stuff for Axe.

If you can't be positive Troll off somewhere else is all i can say and let the +'ve people help Axe get on job ladder as he deserves.

12. 4 Thanks to e_g_r:

AXE (22nd December 2009), elsiegee40 (22nd December 2009), _Bat_ (19th December 2009)

AXE
    Thank Post
    It seems that there was an internal candidate, so I didn't stand a chance.
    If you have a candidate that has pushed themself to an unhealthy level, so that they perform well at interview, the consequences of this deception can be extremely severe. It is wilfully negligent to deliberately mislead someone in a vulnerable state to believe that they actually have a genuine chance of getting the job. This kind of practice is reckless and irresponsible; it should be regarded as fraud.

Thank Post
    the problem with that is i believe they legally have to advertise jobs even if they are 100% sure its going to someone internally which seems wrong to me to get peoples hopes up on a job they cant get

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    If you have a candidate that has pushed themself to an unhealthy level, so that they perform well at interview, the consequences of this deception can be extremely severe. It is wilfully negligent to deliberately mislead someone in a vulnerable state to believe that they actually have a genuine chance of getting the job. This kind of practice is reckless and irresponsible; it should be regarded as fraud.
    Here, here. I think all external candidates should be informed prior to interview of any internal candidates. Experience of applying for jobs myself, and seeing how things work at the places I've worked for, suggest that 9 times out of 10 the internal candidate gets it.

That's not to say it would put me off going for it, but knowing in advance helps you to prepare better, and you'd land slightly softer on the other side.

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    I have been in the same situation where I have been up against an internal candidate several times and on each occasion the internal candidate has been chosen. Unfortunately this is an all to common situation and totally legal. If I were you I would put it down to experience and move on to the next interview.

By the way you if you have been signing on for the duration of your unemployment then you should have been put on a back to work scheme which is designed to help you with interview techniques and the like. Also as you have a disability you should be eligible for other schemes as well. So I would speak to the job center asap.

richard_s
    I would also seriously look at your local Tesco's, Asda etc as any job is better than none.

theeldergeek
    You are acting as if I have had a go at you about something - when actually you picked me up on my post!
    I'm not "acting" anything, nor am I concerned with you having a 'go' at me; what I picked you up on was you apparently pouring scorn over someone who was making a factual statement as opposed to being intentionally "unhelpful".

It's admirable you have taken such an interest in Axe's plight, well done you.

But, as you seem to have the matter in hand; have followed it from the outset; have seen his CV and are privy to information some of us are apparently not, I personally see little need for fresh contributions to this thread from those not already actively involved in helping Axe find work. The next best thing AFAIC, is to therefore leave you to it.

Where's the problem with that?

Last edited by theeldergeek; 29th December 2009 at 07:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread