+ Post New Thread
Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Good luck Axe!...
    TheLibrarian
    Good luck Axe!

2. Thanks to TheLibrarian from:

AXE (15th December 2009)

Thank Post
    good luck! hope you get it.

4. Thanks to patty04 from:

AXE (15th December 2009)

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yep me too if it is Dorset way
    Witch, I'm headed Dorset way for an interview with the Spetsnaz IT Support in charge of Remedial Hurting People - honest guv...

Any chance of a free holi... err... I mean... putting me up too?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,823 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    Witch, I'm headed Dorset way for an interview with the Spetsnaz IT Support in charge of Remedial Hurting People - honest guv...

Any chance of a free holi... err... I mean... putting me up too?
    Yes, but there are strings: dog walking, washing up, dealing with two teenagers and one Uni student who appears and disappears now and again, animal cage cleaning duties: one wonky rabbit, one non-wonky rabbit, and three guinea pigs

And then there is conversing with mrwITch....Oook!

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yes, but there are strings: dog walking, washing up, dealing with two teenagers and one Uni student who appears and disappears now and again, animal cage cleaning duties: one wonky rabbit, one non-wonky rabbit, and three guinea pigs

And then there is conversing with mrwITch....Oook!
    WOOHOO!

As Mr. Witch surely knows you are a star!

Leave the porch light on, I'll find you after a little wander round...

AXE
    Thank Post
    Had another interview today. The recent abundance of interviews had given my confidence a boost and I performed spectacularly... But I still didn't get the job. It doesn't matter how hard I try, or how well I do at interview; even if I am the only candidate, I still can't get a job. And now I can barely manage to speak, the constant rejection has finally crippled me.

Thank Post
    Axe,

Really sorry to hear about your bad news. Like you say there have been more interviews recently though.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Stick in there,

Tim

10. Thanks to monkeyx from:

AXE (18th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    Had another interview today. The recent abundance of interviews had given my confidence a boost and I performed spectacularly... But I still didn't get the job. It doesn't matter how hard I try, or how well I do at interview; even if I am the only candidate, I still can't get a job. And now I can barely manage to speak, the constant rejection has finally crippled me.
    AXE... it is so easy easy to feel despondent. What you have to remember is that there were undoubtedly many candidates and more than one would have had a good interview... it just wasn't your day to get the job.

Back when I graduated, I went nearly a year without a job and I got very low. From graduation in June, I didn't even get an interview until the following February. Then I started to get a few. Finally, I had one week in May with 5 interviews... I was starting to get a dab hand at them (and there wasn't a programming aptitude test I hadn't sat before!). I was offered 2 jobs at the end of that week. I think practice made perfect in the end.

Keep trying mate. You will get there, I'm sure.

Fingers crossed for you

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

AXE (18th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,823 Posts
    AXE - WHAT did they say? Get some feedback or would you like me to do it for you?
    If you thought you did well then even more reason to find out in depth why you didn't get the job.
    And please remember that you usually have to go to several interviews before you get offered a job - and in this latest round you haven't had that many yet.
    The mere fact that you are getting interviews is a REALLY POSITIVE step.
    Please don't give up - we are all confident that you WILL do it in the end and we are looking forward to the party

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    And now I can barely manage to speak, the constant rejection has finally crippled me.
    Really?
    Honestly?

I've chipped in with the odd bit of help/advice in this thread, but I am starting to doubt it now...
    One man, so many interviews, so little help from outside agencies and now can barely talk.... and the media haven't picked up on it? Something smells dodgy to me, and it's not Axe's interview technique.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nope ... legitimate person with legitimate issues which are slowly being overcome.

@AXE : you are getting there mate ... you are getting the interviews now and if you are the only candidate and still don't get it then don't take it personally ... some schools will do things properly and will re-advertise if they are not sure about getting the right person. Sometimes it is just a case of needing comparisons. It can be harder to get the job if you are the only person there IME. Keep things going ... it'll happen.

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

AXE (18th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Hmmm i am 21 have no qualifications and i am a senior technician/project manager. It must be down to your interview technique when i applied for the job i am currently there was 6 of us me being the youngest and the eldest being in his 50's. Some that had completed Cisco and MSCE's qualifications and had experience in IT before hand so there were ALOT more qualified than i am.

If your getting to interview stage and your the only person i would be concerned that either the questions they ask you which may or may not be reflected on your CV are made up or just put there to bulk up your CV to make it look good, as if an employer is getting you to come in they like the skill set you provide but when it comes down to it you may not have the knowledge or they just dont like you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danlewis3 View Post
    Hmmm i am 21 have no qualifications and i am a senior technician/project manager. It must be down to your interview technique when i applied for the job i am currently there was 6 of us me being the youngest and the eldest being in his 50's. Some that had completed Cisco and MSCE's qualifications and had experience in IT before hand so there were ALOT more qualified than i am.

If your getting to interview stage and your the only person i would be concerned that either the questions they ask you which may or may not be reflected on your CV are made up or just put there to bulk up your CV to make it look good, as if an employer is getting you to come in they like the skill set you provide but when it comes down to it you may not have the knowledge or they just dont like you.
    FYI, AXE has Asperger's ( a form of autism) which is not helping his job search.

Thank Post
    Axe, good luck with it all. Getting to the interview stage is often the most difficult part - they are going on what you have written on paper, which may not fully reflect your skills, and almost certainly won't show your drive and enthusiasm. Take heart from the number of interviews you've had.

As Grumbledook says about the single candidate situation, it may well be that the school doesn't really know what they are looking for and need a comparison to be able to make their choice. It may also be that the school was recruiting internally.

Keep going, and know that you have the support of several hundred or possibly thousand edugeekers!

Cheers

Will

20. Thanks to Willott from:

AXE (22nd December 2009)

Thank Post
    Its not really AXE, the market has been very dead.

My 'Lovely' school decided to take a visionary and exciting path with IT; one that didn't include me as the IT manager that dug them out of deep sh!t and gave them an internationally cited infrastructure; one that had many schools coming to see how to deliver it, and do so with only 2.5 people.

I have been looking about for something I like and not finding a lot to chose from, I have superb experience, damned good skills and a proven track record = not a lot of interest from employers.

I know I interview well, and I know that an employer will take me IF they want determined go getter. But I am also well aware that many will see me as a bit to live-wire for their needs/tastes being something of an emergancy trouble-shooter. So I am not worried if I don't get the role because chances are it would not have worked out anyway.

Unfortunately AXE faces added problems and I envy his drive to look for work, I would do well to follow his level of serch activity; I can only say that when its right it will happen - he is doing the work, he just needs to find the right employer.

I do think he should be due some more help from the state - I do not know what is available, but surely he is due some kind of support for what is in effect a medical challenge; or has the country finally given up pretending to be modern and civil nation that looks after its inhabitants (this is mainly rhetorical)

22. 3 Thanks to Firefly_Transport:

AXE (22nd December 2009), elsiegee40 (18th December 2009), witch (18th December 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread