+ Post New Thread
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Axe, Could this training centre do you some mock interviews? Provide feedback and interview technique training? Just a thought....
    TheLibrarian
    Axe,

Could this training centre do you some mock interviews? Provide feedback and interview technique training?

Just a thought.

AXE
    Thank Post
    Didn't get it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    Didn't get it.
    Sorry to hear that AXE. Don't lose heart. You made the first step by getting an interview. Now look forward to getting another and, in the mean time, enjoy that course!

TheLibrarian
    Didn't get it.
    Sorry to hear that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Any feedback? Can I contact someone on your behalf?

Thank Post
    Keep your chin up mate, don't lose heart...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 839 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not good. Not to worry - keep plugging. But you've heard all this chin-up speech before.

Annoyingly had to turn down an interview today because I'm too damned honest :/ - too many people off work to be able to do it without causing quite serious issues With luck they can reschedule but I've said not to worry if they can't and good luck with the candidate hunt.

On which note is there a limit to which area you're looking for, Axe? I can forward this position to you, might be a bit late but worth a shot. (Kettering, Northants)

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    too many people off work to be able to do it without causing quite serious issues With luck they can reschedule but I've said not to worry if they can't and good luck with the candidate hunt.
    that's just silly in this climate. and if you kill yourself with stress will work cover you? nope. put yourself first if you are planning on leaving.

$0.02

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 839 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trying to cover all eventualities. Even if I was to succeed, I'd still have to put the extra time in to cover the time lost, causing even more stress. And in the likely event of not succeeding, there's the possibility in this very small world of colleagues finding out about it. I'm lucky in that I enjoy my current job, but the lure of (quite substantial) larger money and financial security for my family is often too good to miss, along with a career progression/a new challenge that is likely to far exceed where I am currently.
    I work with a small and close knit team - a team full of very decent people all in the same situation, trying to do our jobs in difficult circumstances, it's these people I'm trying to help, rather than the people above.

Thank Post
    My course starts on Monday so I'm not allowed to work anymore (even for free).
    Today is the first day of the end of my life.
    My situation will get worse every day from now. First my internet connection will be cut off, followed by the phone line. Then credit card and loan companies will take me to court and finally I'll be evicted from my home. Then I'll be homeless, again, and freeze to death in the coming winter.

Here's a list of some schools that didn't help my situation:
    Mangotsfield School, Bristol
    Ashdown Technology College, Poole
    Westbourne Sports College, Ipswich
    Barnwood Park Arts College, Gloucester
    Chosen Hill School, Gloucester
    Peterborough College of Adult Education, Peterborough
    The Duston School, Duston, Northampton
    West Buckland School, Devon
    Beaufort Community School, Tuffley
    Maidenhill School, Stonehouse
    Bishops College, Gloucester

Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Co-Op, Wilkinsons, Argos, Halfords, Homebase, Focus.
    They all rejected me, whatever I applied for.
    axe, i notice that there are no large public sector orgs in that list. I'm thinking local council(s) predominantly. I'm sure they are encouraged to offer some kind of work for the 'disadvantaged'.

With a lot of these large orgs it's mainly about getting your foot in the door, so even if they can't offer you a job as an IT technician, if you work in a large enough dept. or are able to network, meet others and keep on the lookout for opportunities [it's hard if your clearing up fag buts, but i'm thinking you've got enough experience and education to avoid that fate]......who knows. It might also be that a public body is not going to be scared off if you highlight your disability.

at the end of the day, i can't pretend to understand your disability, but it strikes me that what you need is job security/stability. something quite low key, not all that stressful.....have you had a look
    at the council job pages ? Trust me, councils employ all sorts. In many areas councils are by far the biggest employers.....even bigger than tesco's!!!!

also, you really need to look at what benefits you might be entitled to. Never be too proud to accept a prolonged period receiving benefits, that's what they are there for. Milk that cow dry. I personally would be concerned if you are taking on debt or funding your own profesisonal development, that's what those jobsworths at the jobcentre should be for. to sort this kind of development out for you for nowt.

...Get a form for DLA, get the evidence of your disability and fill the thing in. Send the thing off.
    Or get witch to help you, seeing as she'd practically your PA now. Having a disability does not prevent you from using the system to your advantage and getting what your entitled to. Just ask the right questions...Plenty of people at it, atleast you sound like you've got genuine grounds.

how are you getting around ? did the jobsworths give you a free buspass. That's another thing that can help you reduce costs and actually keep some of your benefit income in reserve.

You should be using your unemployment situation to pay as few costs as possible ie council tax, travel etc. if you rent you should be receiing the full housing benefit and council tax benefit. If you have a mortgage, then find out about getting help with mortgage interest relief.

and so on. and so on. It beats filling in 200 job application forms a day doesn't it ? I don't blame you for getting downhearted, i get the same just by looking at my financial situation and i don't suffer the same disabilities or job problems as you.

11. 3 Thanks to torledo:

elsiegee40 (19th November 2009), hillskill (20th November 2009), synaesthesia (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi Axe,

Any luck? Hoping you find something b4 xmas- do u have many presents to get?

13. Thanks to hillskill from:

AXE (26th November 2009)

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hillskill View Post
    Any luck? Hoping you find something b4 xmas
    Me too. Lots of applications sent off. I was offered another interview but had to miss it due to travel issues. There was just no practical way to get there before the interview. In the future, I think I'll invest in a tent, that way I have the option of overnight travel.

Thank Post
    a tent might be a bit cold in this weather! Hopefully something will come up!

Have u looked into any retail/relief work over xmas period? I think a lot of stores take on temp staff etc.

Thank Post
    How is it a 16 year old school boy/girl can get a job in Tesco or Starbucks but you can't ? I know plenty in my school who left and they work at Tesco or Starbucks. Theres a trolly push job going at my local Tesco actually. Quite fun and involves Excercise. Down in Bournemouth + u got the beach as well.

Plenty of xmas jobs around this time of year.
    Last edited by witch; 30th November 2009 at 07:57 AM.

Thank Post
    A bit harsh, don't you think!

Although you are correct in some aspects - diplomacy is obviously not your forte!
    Last edited by witch; 30th November 2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: quoted edited post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread