+ Post New Thread
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by f21970 I would think that if the disability does not affect the job per se then it's ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by f21970 View Post
    I would think that if the disability does not affect the job per se then it's best not to mention it at all. e.g. applying for a tech support post - if you had no arms, then it would be fair to mention that lifting and moving equipment would be a struggle, however if you have aspergers and find it difficult to talk to new people, it would probably be best to get to interview and let the interviewers make up their mind - after all, they would be 'new people'. Mentioning it in a cv or covering letter would probably mean you wouldn't get as far as interview, so eliminating your chances at hurdle one. Just my tuppenceworth (or less!).
    I agree , how ever every jobs I have applied for you have to state your disability.

Questions have been asked of form is "Do you consider yourself to have a disability?" my answer would be no but everyone else has when around me.

But those who wear glasses or contact lenses.. do they put down yes? if not why not.. cos if you dont have a disability then why wear glasses at all?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    To expand on this a little, that's not a bad idea. Don't put your disability on your CV though, mention it in your covering letter. In a CV a disability is, for want of a better description, an excuse in something that should be selling you. In a covering letter, it's keeping them informed. Some potential employers might not actually read your covering letter if they have a lot of applications to get through. Effectively you want to force them to believe your bullet pointed sales pitch with your CV. Only when they've opened their eyes a bit and seen what you say you're capable of will they read your covering letter. That way, they're more likely to think "that won't be a problem, with those skills/experience, we can work around that" rather than "Liability, next!"

I think I mentioned already that I made my disability sound like an ability - give it a try.
    Greatly exaggerated example: a partially sighted man applying for a job as an audio-acoustic expert.

"I may be blind/partially sighted, however with very little adjustment this gives me a higher ability than average with my other senses - my audial perception is far more acute than the next person, making me ideal for this sort of position"

For some

I have already done this and witch also commented this on my CV in block caps.
    As a hard of hearing person, I have been at the forefront of awareness of different ways of communicating and how barriers can affect understanding. "THIS BIT COULD BE USEFUL IN A SCHOOL"

Jobs I have applied for in past and I managed to get 1 feedback after harrasing them cos I needed at least one feedback
    The firm does computer support and they try and solve problems over the phone if it cannot be solved they send engineer out.
    Where I failed is that I cant use the telephone and everyone start at junior level telephone support ..I asked why can,t I be the engineer and his reply was its unfair to other staff who for example done telephone support and wanting to be an engineer and i walked in and took the vacancy.

But anyway I am in employment just going for ITC jobs in school I have a good feeling about this all thanks to this forum

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's an article in the Guardian about employing people with autism (including Asperger's syndrome). It's particularly aimed at employers but it might have some useful info to help with getting a job and there are some links at the end. Employing adults with autism: Don't write them off | Money | The Guardian

4. Thanks to srochford from:

_Bat_ (17th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    There's an article in the Guardian about employing people with autism (including Asperger's syndrome). It's particularly aimed at employers but it might have some useful info to help with getting a job and there are some links at the end. Employing adults with autism: Don't write them off | Money | The Guardian
    Interesting read. Thanks for that.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    AXE> are you still actually stating you has aspergers in your application? are you mental? it's extremely difficult for ANYONE to get a job atm, so any negative points* at all get your cv thrown in the bin due to the sheer number of applicants. I had assumed you weren't mentioning it.

*and before someone jumps on this, I'm not sayings it is a negative thing, but look at it from a recruiter's point of view, they have 500+ applicants so they will take the first X number of "perfect" applicants
    Last edited by EduTech; 18th October 2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Aye, this is why I mentioned putting only your sales pitch in your CV. It's the CV the employers will often read first, unless it's an application form which are in most cases useless.

It's rather annoying for us because there's just not enough understanding; 9 times out of 10 someone "suffering" with Aspergers will be a far better candidate for technical positions than any other applicant.

But, as you say it's getting the all important "second glance" at your CV/application before it gets tossed into the pile. Never easy :/

AXE
    Thank Post
    I had my first interview in over nine months today. An ICT and AV technician. I don't know where to begin. I was the youngest of three candidates. A Canadian who wanted a QTS placement and a man from Poland who was looking for a job as a P.E teacher. I didn't get it. I was the only candidate that wanted the job I applied for and I didn't get it. I was the only real candidate for a term time only position paying 9750 and I didn't get it. I don't think I can go on.

Thank Post
    Axe - don't mean to offend, but is it possible that you need to review your interview technique with someone? I know how hard it is after a while out of work as your mental state can show through, but perhaps with a bit of practice.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    I had my first interview in over nine months today. An ICT and AV technician. I don't know where to begin. I was the youngest of three candidates. A Canadian who wanted a QTS placement and a man from Poland who was looking for a job as a P.E teacher. I didn't get it. I was the only candidate that wanted the job I applied for and I didn't get it. I was the only real candidate for a term time only position paying 9750 and I didn't get it. I don't think I can go on.
    AXE have you got in touch with Prospects yet? You really need to do this.

Thank Post
    How about someone ringing up on Axe's behalf to get the interview feedback... so we can hear it from the horses mouth as it were.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    How about someone ringing up on Axe's behalf to get the interview feedback... so we can hear it from the horses mouth as it were.
    Yes, you are right - in order to help AXE - or help AXE help himself, we need to know what the feedback is. Have you got any, AXE?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AXE View Post
    Given the dedication you've clearly put into trying to get a job, one wonders if you couldn't use that 'oomph' more constructively. Niche blogging for example. You're clearly a niche expert on something...

An Introduction to Niche Blogging

14. Thanks to browolf from:

AXE (22nd October 2009)

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    AXE have you got in touch with Prospects yet?
    Yes, unfortunately there's nothing they can do to help me. They are planning to extend their support area, but not for another year at least.

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yes, you are right - in order to help AXE - or help AXE help himself, we need to know what the feedback is. Have you got any, AXE?
    I ask "What could I have done differently?", "What made the successful candidate more suitable than me?" I get only the usual answers. "There were a lot of good candidates", "We felt another candidate was better suited to the role", etc. Not helpful really.

Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    You're all welcome to try. PM me and I'll give you the details.

Thank Post
    Ill be honest, I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it myself, perhaps someone else would be willing?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    I certainly would if AXE thought it would be useful, but how would he get them to speak to me?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread