+ Post New Thread
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 724
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by Midget they'd rather hire people with no A-levels or old women because they will stay for many ...
  1. #196

    NikChillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    on the sofa
    Posts
    959
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 128 Times in 91 Posts
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    they'd rather hire people with no A-levels or old women because they will stay for many years due to having no other real options.
    Well that's a bit sexist isn't it? What makes you think old women are thick and have few options?

  2. #197
    Midget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Posts
    1,298
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 59 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Well that's a bit sexist isn't it? What makes you think old women are thick and have few options?
    oh come on now. Lets not be silly.

    Old ladies in their 50s looking to work in tescos will either be wanting to work after their kids have grown up or wanting a much quieter job than they used to have. Either way they aren't going to be a flight risk unless they hate the job.

    Whereas someone in their 20s with a degree will be looking to move onto a job in their sector as soon as one comes up. (unless their degree was from tescoPolyTech with a major in shelf stacking....)

    and any old man looking to get a quiet job after quitting "the rat race" will be working in B&Q to play with the toys.

    The comment wasn't sexist in any way, so lets not go into this rubbish.

  3. #198
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Well that's a bit sexist isn't it? What makes you think old women are thick and have few options?
    He didn't suggest old women are thick, merely that some employers will only hire people without recognised qualifications.

    As to what made him think old women have few options; reality, perhaps?

  4. #199

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Being over-qualified and aged less than 40 can be a major drawback to anyone job hunting, especially at the moment. Employers are suspicious of motives & worried that as soon as things pick up people will move on.

    My daughters boyfriend (a fully qualified accountant) finds himself in this position at the moment; he hates his current job and is willing to consider lower paid work to get out but he has been told several times he would not be considered because he is too well qualified.

  5. #200
    dalsoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    547
    Thank Post
    190
    Thanked 108 Times in 80 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Customise the application for the job applied for. I would leave off Microsoft Certs if I thought they were going to hinder my chances at a lower paid/skilled job. This is why i think that sending off dozens of applications a day is a waste of time because to tailor each application for each job takes time and patience. You can not rush it or you end up with no chance.

    I always tell prospective employers that i am looking at a long term position and hope to settle down and get settled in the area etc and start a family. You say what you need to say to get the job. Who knows, you may just do that or you may just leave a year later for something better. A job is not a ball and chain but you don't want to tell them that when you apply. Any sane person would move on for something better if it appears.

  6. #201

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,243
    Thank Post
    1,461
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Rep Power
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    He didn't suggest old women are thick, merely that some employers will only hire people without recognised qualifications.

    As to what made him think old women have few options; reality, perhaps?
    What worries me is that he thinks that women in their 50's are old!!!
    I have many friends who are this old (gasp!) and most of them have loads of very high level qualifications.

    Midget, if you meant to say 'women whose children have left home and who are looking for a small undemanding job' then fine

    But for me, I have had the same problem that you mention - not being given a job because my qualifications and experience are too much.
    And I am a woman
    In my 50's?

  7. #202
    chrbb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,508
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    I'm an old woman in my 50's (well 50 and a month) hopefully not too thick (other than round the middle)

    Actually got nothing else of any value to add to this thread as I'm just filling in my Tesco application form and going off to gala bingo for an evening out - may as well carry on with the stereotyping

  8. #203
    Midget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Posts
    1,298
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 59 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    eugh, i didn't say 50+ women are useless or have no quals. but 50+ women applying for jobs in tesco tend to not have high quals or are looking for a quiet job.

    I didn't write their hiring policy anyway.

  9. #204
    chrbb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,508
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Oh no you're not comparing working in a primary school to working at tesco are you? That'll irritate few on here

    I'm not entering into any deep and meaningful discussions on this thread, mine was a flippant comment about being 50
    Last edited by chrbb; 15th October 2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Old and forgetful

  10. #205

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,010
    Thank Post
    1,854
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Work in a primary school ? 30 hours or less a week ? earn less than 18k [pro rata obviously] ?
    hubby higher rate tax payer ?

    Am i hitting any stereotypes or am i well out.
    I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at with your stereotype Torledo.. which fits me... sort of. Maybe you are trolling, I hope so.

    I've got a degree, I've worked in IT since I graduated - bar about 3 years when I had the kids and, yes, I work in a 'primary' school part-time.

    There is an attitude on these boards that primary is some sort of cop out - not as difficult as secondary and it ANNOYS me

    Believe me, being a team of one at a primary means that you have to be on your toes. We have fewer computers, fewer staff and fewer pupils. But there is only one person doing the job and that person is not there full time. It is different not easier.

    In fact, I quite often think that working as part of a secondary school team where knowledge and problems can be shared and where there is some hope of progressing up the ladder would be easier. I gave up Tech Support in industry only because nights and on-call did not suit my family, especially as the other half works away a lot. I didn't take up primary school as a soft option!

    EDIT

    Please do not respond to this further as it is taking AXE's thread off topic. I have started this one:
    Attitudes to Primary Sector
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 16th October 2009 at 07:02 AM.

  11. 5 Thanks to elsiegee40:

    chrbb (15th October 2009), synaesthesia (16th October 2009), SYSMAN_MK (15th October 2009), znova (15th October 2009), _Bat_ (15th October 2009)

  12. #206

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kirkbymoorside
    Posts
    21
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    When I saw this thread I immediately thought this guy has some disability.

    People don't realise how hard to get any job with a disability... why don't you all send a separate cv /job application only different is on the form is names and address and disability but list exact same qualifications... see which get the most reply or offer for job interview.

    Don't be surprised by the findings.

  13. #207

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,010
    Thank Post
    1,854
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Rep Power
    822
    With apologies to AXE for us going Off Topic, I'd like to close the debate opened by Torledo among others. I will start another thread that can continue this!
    Attitudes to Primary Sector
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 16th October 2009 at 07:24 AM.

  14. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

    AXE (16th October 2009)

  15. #208
    neon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Market Harborough
    Posts
    222
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    any news of anything else promising axe? been a while since we had an update? any interviews etc...

  16. Thanks to neon from:

    AXE (21st October 2009)

  17. #209

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,242
    Thank Post
    603
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by fintang View Post
    People don't realise how hard to get any job with a disability... why don't you all send a separate cv /job application only different is on the form is names and address and disability but list exact same qualifications... see which get the most reply or offer for job interview.

    Don't be surprised by the findings.

    To expand on this a little, that's not a bad idea. Don't put your disability on your CV though, mention it in your covering letter. In a CV a disability is, for want of a better description, an excuse in something that should be selling you. In a covering letter, it's keeping them informed. Some potential employers might not actually read your covering letter if they have a lot of applications to get through. Effectively you want to force them to believe your bullet pointed sales pitch with your CV. Only when they've opened their eyes a bit and seen what you say you're capable of will they read your covering letter. That way, they're more likely to think "that won't be a problem, with those skills/experience, we can work around that" rather than "Liability, next!"

    I think I mentioned already that I made my disability sound like an ability - give it a try.
    Greatly exaggerated example: a partially sighted man applying for a job as an audio-acoustic expert.

    "I may be blind/partially sighted, however with very little adjustment this gives me a higher ability than average with my other senses - my audial perception is far more acute than the next person, making me ideal for this sort of position"

    For some reason I can't find any of my application letters - I've put them in that ruddy Safe Place (tm)! If I find one, I'll post that part of it up.

    Ahh, gotcha, and in time for an edit

    **** snip ****

    I do have Asperger's Syndrome, a high functioning form of Autism. The only disability this causes is a speech issue making telephone work difficult. Face to face communication is rarely effected. Positively, this gives me a far greater level of focus and self-motivation, especially in my chosen career path of IT. I also have mild hyperactivity, however this is channelled through my work and is again more of a positive ability in the workplace.

    **** endsnip ****

    Taken from a successful application cover letter back in 2007. Feel free to modify & use something similar - and anyone else is free to correct my appalling grammar/sentence structure
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 16th October 2009 at 05:50 PM.

  18. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

    AXE (21st October 2009)

  19. #210

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    126
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    I would think that if the disability does not affect the job per se then it's best not to mention it at all. e.g. applying for a tech support post - if you had no arms, then it would be fair to mention that lifting and moving equipment would be a struggle, however if you have aspergers and find it difficult to talk to new people, it would probably be best to get to interview and let the interviewers make up their mind - after all, they would be 'new people'. Mentioning it in a cv or covering letter would probably mean you wouldn't get as far as interview, so eliminating your chances at hurdle one. Just my tuppenceworth (or less!).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Mystery in Shared Docs
    By Joanne in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd April 2008, 11:19 AM
  2. Mystery Diagnosis
    By bambroso in forum Windows
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2nd December 2007, 11:36 PM
  3. Keyboard mystery
    By pinemarten in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th March 2007, 11:51 PM
  4. Screen of Mystery
    By acb_ in forum Windows
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 1st December 2006, 11:50 PM
  5. AD Mystery
    By alan-d in forum Windows
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 1st March 2006, 08:28 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •