+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; @dalsoth, I can see where you are coming from and, in part, I have to agree. Shelf-stacking or burger-flipping are ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    @dalsoth, I can see where you are coming from and, in part, I have to agree. Shelf-stacking or burger-flipping are not necessarily a career choice that any of us wants to make, but in the short-term, as a way of paying the bills, I think they have to be considered.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    @dalsoth, I can see where you are coming from and, in part, I have to agree. Shelf-stacking or burger-flipping are not necessarily a career choice that any of us wants to make, but in the short-term, as a way of paying the bills, I think they have to be considered.
    My Missus dad is at that exact point at the moment, his self employment didn't quite go to plan and he resorted to working in macdonalds, he only did one shift then left though as he found a supervisor job at coop but even so, it's still a huge step down from working for yourself at that point and it's just something you have to do at the end of the day

I know i certainly wouldn't want to be told that after everything i have learnt and worked hard for was to be null and void because i would end up working at macdonalds at the age of 50!

Thank Post
    Axe has stated many times that he has tried to find non-ICT jobs but no joy...

hmmmm

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by hillskill View Post
    Axe has stated many times that he has tried to find non-ICT jobs but no joy...

hmmmm
    Which makes me wonder too ... I'm very much of the opinion that it's a wind up, save factual and corroborating information to the contrary.

After all, this guy has been given some of the best advice on how to present himself, his CV, his skill set etc when applying for jobs. Armed with that sort of knowledge, he should be sailing through the application and interview process!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,691 Posts
    Don't forget that he does, on his own admission, have aspergers and that is a huge barrier in itself.
    Yes, he did take advice on his CV - it is fine and he has some very good experience.
    I suspect that he wasnt really looking outside of IT until recently, and I dont know what it is like where you are, but here there really isnt much around -not even at Macdonalds.
    Maybe he has exaggerated, maybe not, but he certainly seems to be in a very bad place at the moment

6. Thanks to witch from:

AXE (14th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Well, I've caught up on this thread and am amazed at the level of attention craving that underlies the posts.

Ill be blunt, if you really need a job that bad go deliver newspapers/yellow pages/ leaflets (My neighbour does this)
    Go work in a supermarket or clean ( There are staff here who do this as a SECOND job to make ends meet)

Sitting on your backside whining on here gets you nowhere and as every day passes you become less and less attractive to an employer and as you have pointed out sending pointless job applications isnt getting you anywhere. That 25k+ job on a silver platter isnt coming, time to realise that.

I have flipped burgers, answered phones, sold windows and washed up for my cold hard so why cant you? You will have a greater sence of accomplishment and a better quality of life with money coming in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, debt repayments - these need to be dealt with separately. If you can't keep up with the payments, you need to talk to your creditors. They *will* come to better arrangements. (I managed to get my banks off my back, mostly, and now pay a 10th of what I was before) IVA's or bankruptcy are another possibility - but this would require you losing your house, and would affect your credit rating for quite a few years.

On the whole 'house' front - are you in a property that is larger than your needs? Could you downsize? Mortgage payments aren't the best thing to have to pay when you're long term unemployed.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

AXE (14th October 2009)

Thank Post
    As far as debt problems are concerned, AXE, go and talk to Citizen's Advice Bureau. They are very adept at helping people to get creditors off your back and they won't charge you for the privilege.

I assume you have been to talk to people at the job centre and that they know about your Asperger's... do they run any people-skill type courses that might help you?

I suggest you take a look at this webpage and the links on it: The National Autistic Society - Employment

Particularly this one: The National Autistic Society - Prospects Employment Service

Prospects is the National Autistic Society's employment service which supports people like you trying to get work and also supports employers of people with ASD.

We offer work preparation programmes, job-finding support, interview support and employment support to people with an autism spectrum disorder.
    Training from Prospects: Courses and training for people who are looking for work, employers, and organisations who support people with an autism spectrum disorder to find employment.
    I think they should be able to help you a lot... and if you've already tried them, try again.

11. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

AXE (14th October 2009)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Don't forget that he does, on his own admission, have aspergers and that is a huge barrier in itself
    And by my own admission, I haven't kept up with this thread, so may have done him an injustice.

Apologies for that if indeed it was taken as such, however, I still remain somewhat sceptical about him not being able to get a job, any job.

Thank Post
    If I had to get a job I would get one. Ive never been without a job since 13. I am sure a man of Axe's age and 'experience' (so he says) should be able to get a job doing at least something. Unless your living in the middle of the lake district or some national park with just a small village (where you might be able to get a as a kitchen porter) - this guy is a joke.

I know of a few disabled adults who I even worked with on occasions or knew at school who have jobs - varying from pushing trolly's, working in restaurants etc. If its happening for them it can happen for you, even if you need to get help from places like citizens advice.

Thank Post
    Thanks appreciated AXE... I'll be interested to find out how you get on with Prospects.

The one thing you can be certain of is that they understand exactly how hard it can be in your position.

Hopefully something good willcome out of it. Do be open to their suggestions and don't expect an instant fix... as you should know from working in IT - miracles can take time

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've only been out of a job after Uni ... took me until the following Jan to get one and I was introduced as a favour in a steel pressing plant up the road from the Rolls Royce plant in Crewe. I've done work on a building site but that was when there was a boom ... I now that I would not get a job there now because I am over skilled (likely to leave for a better job) and because so many others are going for the few that are around it is hard to get an interview ...

I've worked as a security guard but only got that because I was fit and healthy, involved in martial arts and would not get a look in now as there are too few in the area and people have more recent experience than me.

I've flipped burgers (2 days ... it was enough), worked in cheese factories (packaging cheeses ... not a factory made of cheese ... that would be silly and eaten by mice), a gardener, fruit and veg ...

Eventually I joined the army but was still lucky to get work when coming out ...

Pretty much Luck has had an element in every job I have got and sometimes it just does not work for you.

The problem with Debt is that you always seek to make enough money to get yourself out of it ... and sometimes you just have to accept that you can't, you have to make enough to live and use CAB and other avenues to help you out. When you are at rock bottom you often feel that there is nowhere to go.

All I can say is the very best of luck to *anyone* job hunting nowadays.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser View Post
    If I had to get a job I would get one. Ive never been without a job since 13. I am sure a man of Axe's age and 'experience' (so he says) should be able to get a job doing at least something. Unless your living in the middle of the lake district or some national park with just a small village (where you might be able to get a as a kitchen porter) - this guy is a joke.

I know of a few disabled adults who I even worked with on occasions or knew at school who have jobs - varying from pushing trolly's, working in restaurants etc. If its happening for them it can happen for you, even if you need to get help from places like citizens advice.

What on earth made you so cold and mean? Perhaps it is your age: 'never been without a job since I was 13' amounts to what - 10 years? Not exactly a lifetime, is it. And you are young and fit.
    FYI, I know at least three people in our area who are finding it very difficult to get any jobs at the moment so maybe it isn't quite as easy as you think.

Besides, I should think that AXE is probably seriously and perhaps medically depressed by now and that makes it even more difficult to get any sort of job.
    As has been said, if you have debts then getting a job that pays enough to have any effect on them, particulary when some creditors snatch every penny as you earn it, isn't easy.

Have you a mortgage? Bills to pay? No? Well perhaps you can accept that maybe you don't know what it is like for someone who is older and who has all these commitments.

I don't know the truth of AXE's situation, but it doesn't hurt any of us to be compassionate and helpful if we can, does it?

17. 2 Thanks to witch:

elsiegee40 (14th October 2009), JJonas (15th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    What on earth made you so cold and mean? Perhaps it is your age: 'never been without a job since I was 13' amounts to what - 10 years? Not exactly a lifetime, is it. And you are young and fit.
    FYI, I know at least three people in our area who are finding it very difficult to get any jobs at the moment so maybe it isn't quite as easy as you think.

Besides, I should think that AXE is probably seriously and perhaps medically depressed by now and that makes it even more difficult to get any sort of job.
    As has been said, if you have debts then getting a job that pays enough to have any effect on them, particulary when some creditors snatch every penny as you earn it, isn't easy.

Have you a mortgage? Bills to pay? No? Well perhaps you can accept that maybe you don't know what it is like for someone who is older and who has all these commitments.

I don't know the truth of AXE's situation, but it doesn't hurt any of us to be compassionate and helpful if we can, does it?
    Although I agree witch... putting your problems on a public forum will always result in some flaming and focusing on negatives, no matter how bad the situation is for someone.

This thread has served its purpose, if people have any more suggestions they can easily PM him, alot of the pages have re-iterated the same thing in different words. I'm sure he's fully edugeek-er compliant in job hunting, CV writing, interview technique & the like!
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 14th October 2009 at 09:44 PM.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    I was without work for 5 months, as witch has seen on my CV I have a lot of experience in different IT fields, which resulted in me being turned down for lots of jobs due to being over qualified and likely to leave very soon after getting the job (I was told this point blank by a few interviewers).

Most places now want IT Techs who will stay for many years, not just 1-2 years, which means that if you have worked at a higher level you aren't going to stay at the lower level for long.

I have friends who work/ed for tesco and mcD and they will aim to hire people who are not likely to leave, they'd rather hire people with no A-levels or old women because they will stay for many years due to having no other real options.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread