+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I appreciate the fact that I need a rest but I can't stop looking for work. I NEED a job ...
    AXE
    Thank Post
    I appreciate the fact that I need a rest but I can't stop looking for work. I NEED a job to survive, the situation is never going to solve itself. There aren't enough hours in the day to do anything else. I got up at 07:00 on Wednesday, I've only just finished my workload for the day. It's 05:00 and I have to be up at 08:00 today. I only stop and rest if I get an interview, unfortunately that doesn't happen often enough.

Thank Post
    I would suggest another career as this one does not look like it will happen for you with that many applications and no success. Something, be it the autism? you mentioned earlier or something else is not doing you any favours with the app forms or interviews.

If i were you i would start training up as a plumber or an electrician as they are always in need. With that much time searching for work you would be half qualified in a trade by now.

It's ok for someone to say this is my career and i will not do anything else, but personally if it was me with that much rejection i would consider my options and future plans. How much of it is bad luck? Is that job around the corner or will it be another 2 years before you get a sniff. I just cant believe that many rejections are due to bad luck. Something is not right and for whatever reason, it is not being resolved therefore it looks like more of the same.

Sometimes you need to reassess and take an alternate route.

Thank Post
    Axe in regards to volunteering these are the sites that you should look at:

Volunteering and Work Experience Placements | vinspired
    DO-IT Home

You just have to email a few people and ask what opportunities they have and you will get something, it may be volunteer work but you still have to do the chasing.

What I would also think about doing in the mean time is running your own business, you seem to have the determination and dedication that it requires!

Oh and failing all this, go back to University! This is and always will be my own back up plan.. You get a instant loan of £3000ish that you don't have to pay back untill you have a job again and a grant (academic (mine was £1500) or maintance) that you never have to pay back, and you gain a qullification (year 1 = HNC, year 2 = HND, year 3 = Degree) and there is nothing to stop you looking for work still whilst your there. Of course this wouldn't work if you had a mortgage or children to pay for, but as a 20 something guy, I imagine you don't...
    Last edited by mossj; 3rd September 2009 at 12:45 PM.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Volunteering places are really picky atm. I got turned down by the VSO for both being over and under qualified to work on an IT infrastructure in an African country. A country that I had spent quite a bit of time in setting up a large IT Infrastructure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    Volunteering places are really picky atm. I got turned down by the VSO for both being over and under qualified to work on an IT infrastructure in an African country. A country that I had spent quite a bit of time in setting up a large IT Infrastructure.
    Of course they are if you want them to send you to africa...

AXE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    I would suggest another career
    I'm already applying for jobs in areas other that IT. What else do you suggest?...
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    start training up as a plumber or an electrician.
    I've already looked into this (since I've already worked as a trainee electrician).
    Apprenticeships are few and applicants are many. I found none that would accept an applicant over 25 years old. There are courses that I could take, but they cost money, which I don't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    What I would also think about doing in the mean time is running your own business
    I'm already running my own business as a self-employed PC Repair Technician. My income is deducted from my Job Seekers Allowance. I don't drive, there's already a lot of competition, there's not enough work to make it a viable option.
    go back to University!
    How would I pay for it? Where would I live? Can they meet the needs of a student with autism?
    Of course this wouldn't work if you had a mortgage or children to pay for, but as a 20 something guy, I imagine you don't...
    I have a mortgage and £20,000 in loans and credit cards to pay.

Unfortunately, gaining qualifications is something I can only afford to do AFTER I get a job, not before.
    Can anybody suggest a solution that doesn't require money?

Thank Post
    Axe,

I don't post in many non-technical threads but I've read your posts for a while now.
    Looking what others have advised I think they're all giving good advice, but specifically the ones who are trying to say in the nicest possible way that perhaps IT jobs aren't the ones you should be applying for after this much lack of success.

Your post on the previous page about calling FRANK and asking on drug advice seemed like a joke by itself, but when thought of in the context of this whole thread I'm not too sure it was....

If you are prepared to do ANYTHING then you will be able to find a job.
    Fast food places, cleaning, waiting, shelf stacking, trolley collection - those are the kind of jobs which might (unfairly) not apeal to many, but they are the kind of jobs that are frequently available.

If you really really reallly can't get anything then the Job Centre is the place to go - they should be able to give you some 1-on-1 time and maybe some free return to work training.

Good look - don't give up - stay positive, but be prepared to do anything if you really want work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only just found this thread. Can't really offer too much to add, but the following.

Aspergers. I "suffer" from this relatively badly. However, in the job market, and now in my employment, I turn this round to be a positive - an ability, rather than a disability. Regardless of how you may perceive yourself, turn it around and use it to your advantage. I don't know you, therefore can't possibly know to what point it affects you, as it's an ever-broadening issue covering a range of symptoms. Personally mine encompasses OCD and ADHD as well as the social and communicative issues of the typical AS sufferer.
    The result? I'm someone that can't not work, just like yourself. I'm hyperactive, I can't not be doing something. And I love my job. I get my schools contact my employer to say what a good job I've done and continue to do for them. My employer has reflected this to me directly. I don't like to be big headed, or blow my own trumpet, I'm just happy to be kept busy. Use this to your advantage, if you do indeed have the same inclinations.

Now, this is often difficult to put across in a succinct job application or covering letter. Application forms are terrible anyway, many employers don't want a letter, they just want you to tick boxes. If you don't conform to those ticks, you're knackered. That's not your fault, so don't be hung up on that. This means you need to get the chance to prove yourself, get a foot in the door. Easier said than done in most cases, but if you can wedge just a small toe in, prove yourself and they'll wonder how they did without you.
    So, how do you manage that?
    I did it with contract work and temp work. I've started doing agency work packing fruit for 2 weeks. 2 weeks later, I was offered a permanent job, managing and maintaining the packaging equipment as well as all the office IT requirements. Then again more recently with a large local company, did 2 weeks contract work repairing printers and found myself being offered a full time job, without having any experience of printer repair before that placement. I rejected it.

Volunteer work has been touched upon. Try the local Citizen's Advice Bureau. You may not be any good at giving advise with AS, but they may very well need someone to help look after their IT requirements and possibly even make the tea. The job centre might not give two hoots about it, but if they even consider using that against you, you have EVERY right to hang them up against the wall and have their guts for garters, legally. Plenty of people around to help you slap them around

I will also echo what's been mentioned a few times before. Be more select. Your 100 daily applications might impress some git at the Job Centre, but that's it - it's doing you no favours. Spend more time on each - quantity rules above quantity in any case.

I won't list job sites - there's plenty available on this forum already. But please look up the following companies, they often contact me to see if I'm looking for work and would probably like to hear from you.

Solos consultants solosconsultants.co.uk
    Resourcing People Welcome to Resourcing People
    Steria : Steria Limited - Home
    Opus recruitment
    Oscar associates: Oscar-Associates

Hope that's of some help to you (or anyone else in the same situ) despite the long read. Many of us have been there, and there's certainly going to be more to come.

9. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

hillskill (14th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Maybe ask Jobcentre about this

Microsoft Britain Works

Russ

11. Thanks to russdev from:

AXE (14th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Maybe ask Jobcentre about this

Microsoft Britain Works

Russ
    jobcentres were putting jsa claimants on Microsoft and other IT training courses as far back as 1997 for those who'd been unemployed for 6 months or more. [quicker if you had a bad back ], this back in the days of NT4 Server courses !!!

Ofcourse back then the difference was, it wasn't quite the overcrowded bandwagon that MS certs and training is now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Only just found this thread. Can't really offer too much to add, but the following.

Aspergers. I "suffer" from this relatively badly. However, in the job market, and now in my employment, I turn this round to be a positive - an ability, rather than a disability. Regardless of how you may perceive yourself, turn it around and use it to your advantage. I don't know you, therefore can't possibly know to what point it affects you, as it's an ever-broadening issue covering a range of symptoms. Personally mine encompasses OCD and ADHD as well as the social and communicative issues of the typical AS sufferer.
    The result? I'm someone that can't not work, just like yourself. I'm hyperactive, I can't not be doing something. And I love my job. I get my schools contact my employer to say what a good job I've done and continue to do for them. My employer has reflected this to me directly. I don't like to be big headed, or blow my own trumpet, I'm just happy to be kept busy. Use this to your advantage, if you do indeed have the same inclinations.

Now, this is often difficult to put across in a succinct job application or covering letter. Application forms are terrible anyway, many employers don't want a letter, they just want you to tick boxes. If you don't conform to those ticks, you're knackered. That's not your fault, so don't be hung up on that. This means you need to get the chance to prove yourself, get a foot in the door. Easier said than done in most cases, but if you can wedge just a small toe in, prove yourself and they'll wonder how they did without you.
    So, how do you manage that?
    I did it with contract work and temp work. I've started doing agency work packing fruit for 2 weeks. 2 weeks later, I was offered a permanent job, managing and maintaining the packaging equipment as well as all the office IT requirements. Then again more recently with a large local company, did 2 weeks contract work repairing printers and found myself being offered a full time job, without having any experience of printer repair before that placement. I rejected it.

Volunteer work has been touched upon. Try the local Citizen's Advice Bureau. You may not be any good at giving advise with AS, but they may very well need someone to help look after their IT requirements and possibly even make the tea. The job centre might not give two hoots about it, but if they even consider using that against you, you have EVERY right to hang them up against the wall and have their guts for garters, legally. Plenty of people around to help you slap them around

I will also echo what's been mentioned a few times before. Be more select. Your 100 daily applications might impress some git at the Job Centre, but that's it - it's doing you no favours. Spend more time on each - quantity rules above quantity in any case.

I won't list job sites - there's plenty available on this forum already. But please look up the following companies, they often contact me to see if I'm looking for work and would probably like to hear from you.

Solos consultants solosconsultants.co.uk
    Resourcing People Welcome to Resourcing People
    Steria : Steria Limited - Home
    Opus recruitment
    Oscar associates: Oscar-Associates

Hope that's of some help to you (or anyone else in the same situ) despite the long read. Many of us have been there, and there's certainly going to be more to come.
    ++Rep... well done for this post

Thank Post
    it really is an employment misery! cant believe this story hasnt been taken up by the press!

Thank Post
    If you have worked as an electricians mate then i would suggest getting qualified as an electrician. You could do it part time evenings a couple of days a week. This should have no impact in current job hunting. I constantly see electricians jobs and electricians mates jobs advertised all over the place. With a little experience and being booked on a course i bet you would have more luck than you seem to have in IT.

Once qualified, start your own business if you need to.

Thank Post
    Hi Axe,

Hadnt heard anything on this thread for a while and wondered if you had managed to get a job yet?

AXE
    Thank Post
    Thanks hillskill, itís time for an update.

Still no success, and things are getting worse. I haven't had an interview for a very long time. There have been a lot of vacancies recently that I should have a good chance of getting. Here are some of the jobs I could have done well, but didn't get an interview for:

ICT Delivery and Systems Leader, The Duston School, Duston, Northampton
    IT Systems Manager, West Buckland School, Devon
    MIS Technician, Central Bedfordshire Council (I applied under a "guaranteed interview" scheme)

Surely a suitable candidate would be someone who's already been in a similar role before?

I've been applying for a lot of part-time jobs (I might be able to survive if I had enough part-time jobs) but I've had no success. Why am I not able to get a job as a cleaner? To make matters worse, I'm going to lose the only part-time job I have been able to get, because as part of the New Deal I am required to attend a course (a course which isn't going to help me to get a job).

I really can't afford to lose the £20 I get to keep from my income. Debt repayments are killing me, my food budget is a mere £20 a month. I can't afford to eat more than once a day. Apparently, the solution for people who find it difficult to pay is to keep charging them more and more. I am not looking forward to yet another winter without heating.

I'm already applying for jobs with a view to abandoning my home and starting again. If I could only get an interview...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast