+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Axe's unemployment mystery (or misery) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; No. Nothing. I've joined another scheme that offers up to £10,000 to employers as an incentive... it's a loan which ...
    AXE
    Thank Post
    No. Nothing. I've joined another scheme that offers up to £10,000 to employers as an incentive... it's a loan which I have to pay back if I'm ever offered a job. Effectively I'll be paying someone to work for them. I have exhausted all my resources and I expect I'll be homeless by January. And the media still isn't interested in my story.

Thank Post
    Hi Axe, have you applied at places like McDonalds,KFC,Burger Kings I know they aint the best places to work, but a job is a job especially in this current economic climate.

And please send me your CV as I have developed a few contacts with some agencies who may be able to help you with your situation.

Kindest regards

Thank Post
    Axe,

I have to agreed with the above? How about somewhere like Tesco or bar/restuarent work? I know its not what you want to do but if its a matter of you becoming homeless or not it must be worth it?

Thank Post
    Supermarkets are creating thousands of jobs; Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and M&S are also recruiting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    Supermarkets are creating thousands of jobs; Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and M&S are also recruiting.
    No they aren't, at least not around here. My son is looking for a job and has found nothing - he is prepared to do anything at all but has still had no luck.

Thank Post
    There was a two page spread in the sun the other day saying “help beat the recession” and saying how many jobs they were recruiting, it was mainly the supermarkets, McDonalds and M&S.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    That's all well and good when you know the company, but most adverts are from agencies who won't give away the company name so you can't bypass them.
    I have applied for jobs from agencies and never even had so much as a reply back, even I seemed to tick all the boxes. I think some of these jobs don't exist and they are trying to get more people on their books. I prefer to deal directly with employers now.

Thank Post
    What also happens is agencies advertise these jobs but the company will not accept agency candidates due to the high prices they charge.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bear in mind though that agencies aren't always bad. I got my current job through an agency, who were absolutely excellent.

Any angle you can use to job hunt should be used - and that does include agencies. Just do your research on them first and find out which ones are worth looking at.

Thank Post
    Axe have you thought about doing some none IT volunteering, it can still be relevant in applications. With website like V involved its a easy process to get involved with something that ties in with your hobbies.

For example I volunteered for the Red Cross, Fire and Emergency Support and they sent me on some day courses (Child Protection, First Aid, Protection of Young People and Vunerable Adults, Providing Emotional Support) all of which come into play in some form and another in any job I applied for. I also use it to show that I'm responsible, and capable of dealing with complex and difficult situations (that aren't related to IT). It also comes into play in the actual interview as in the PES training I learnt how to show calmness in my body language (even when I'm not) and also control the flow of information and make others feel involved in the conversation (comes into play when your being interview by more than one person).
    Last edited by mossj; 20th August 2009 at 02:18 PM.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    My brother has been out of work for almost 8 months, hes applied for tones of jobs!

he applied for 50 last week! nothing and no one got back too him

It really is bad out there.

Thank Post
    The Sun is doing a big recruitment drive alot of the big companies are getting involved as well

SunJobs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Axe have you thought about doing some none IT volunteering, it can still be relevant in applications. With website like V involved its a easy process to get involved with something that ties in with your hobbies.

For example I volunteered for the Red Cross, Fire and Emergency Support and they sent me on some day courses (Child Protection, First Aid, Protection of Young People and Vunerable Adults, Providing Emotional Support) all of which come into play in some form and another in any job I applied for. I also use it to show that I'm responsible, and capable of dealing with complex and difficult situations (that aren't related to IT). It also comes into play in the actual interview as in the PES training I learnt how to show calmness in my body language (even when I'm not) and also control the flow of information and make others feel involved in the conversation (comes into play when your being interview by more than one person).
    That is great advice, and may help with Axes' aspergers issues. I suffer from mild aspergers myself (as is referenced in my sometimes brutal replies!), but I don't consider it a disability - just learn how to deal with situations differently. Alas, Axe appears to be of the opinion that the world needs to take account of his aspergers. It won't. Adaptation is needed at a personal level, and moss's advice may well help that.

AXE
    Thank Post
    Still no job. Lots of applications though. I spent several hours on one today, it was a masterpiece; I should get an interview. A lot of people continue to claim that supermarkets, etc. are creating thousands of jobs... It's not that simple. Supermarkets in particular are 'creating' full-time jobs by offering their part-time staff an extra hour (making them full-time). As for volunteering... I've been registered with several places for the last two years and have done an odd day painting or cleaning, but there have been no opportunities and certainly no courses. My feet hurt, they're covered in blisters after a week-long tramp across the country delivering CV's to as many councils and schools as I could find. I called FRANK to ask which drug had the cheapest lethal dose... they didn't know.

Thank Post
    Hi AXE, I've read your posts off and on regarding you looking for work and the thing that sticks out to me is your mind set. Personally I dont think you are able to do your best when filling in application forms and this can sometimes come accross when people are reading them. From your posts the whole job search is really taking its toll on you and I dont think you can continue to look for jobs like this as it obviously isn't good for your health. Maybe you could try speaking to someone who may be able to offer techniques to remain calm/relax and take up any offers/advice people can provide regarding your CV and methods of looking for work. Try to give yourself a distraction where you can try and clear your mind.

But most of all I hope you find a job soon and maybe things will start to turn around.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast