+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Advice on finding work! in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Just looking for some advice guys and girls. Having worked with a CC3 network for four years and leaving to ...

Thank Post

Advice on finding work!

Just looking for some advice guys and girls.

Having worked with a CC3 network for four years and leaving to do my MCSE and wanting to do more with myself. I was at my last role with no network manager for the last year and still never got the promotion. Then when I left they put the money up to get someone in.

The school had over 1000 pupils, over 100 staff, so over 100 laptops, over 400 desktops, including office staff, projectors in all rooms, Around third of them smart boards/promethean boards, seven servers including Exchange and SQL.

So on one note that was a kick in the teeth, but a compliment, as I feel if I wasn't able to do the job, then I wouldn't have been their in a senior role with just one other guy.

I've Done 70-270, 70-290, and 70-291 is due to be sat. I've done some travelling and generally tied up some lose ends in my life. So going to knuckle down with rest to follow and get the whole MCSE wrapped up.

I just feel the lack of a vanilla network is letting me down for jobs. VMware has been great and helping me with doing the stuff that we never really had to do like gpo's, custom subnetting and DNS and more in depth stuff.

Any advice on where else to find jobs? As jobserve etc doesn't really come up. Any other educational sites.

One job I went for the lady told me they had more and more people from London applying, who have no experience of CC3.

I guess they look better coming from working in the city with vanilla networks, rather than someone who has been working on CC3 networks.

Just going to keep trying.
    Last edited by pcman; 3rd April 2009 at 06:24 PM.

Thank Post
    i'm not sure there's any value in highlighting your cc3 experience unless your looking for jobs which require cc3 experience.

have a look in the local paper, try the local council website's job sections [you should also have a council rag where they feature jobs], local nhs jobs, universities, FE colleges, any organisation which is likely to be recruiting for IT staff regularly. You could also look at local IT recruiters, but lack of experience may be a stumbling block with that avenue.

quite frankly in the current climate, a job in the public sector, would offer that all important job security, even if it's one of those public-private setups for providing IT support.

3. Thanks to torledo from:

pcman (3rd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thank you.

I think even though I want to get out of CC3, and get more hands on with a vanilla network. The actual lack of experience is going to be a problem, even if I have the full MCSE. As qualifications are just as important as experience.

I won't regret leaving though, as if I didn't I'd never move on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    quite frankly in the current climate, a job in the public sector, would offer that all important job security, even if it's one of those public-private setups for providing IT support.
    There's no such thing anymore.

6. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

pcman (7th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Sigh! Went for an informal interview and he wondered because of me doing my MCSE and how long I was at my last position what I knew and I feel like in an interview situation I stumble, but as showing him practically I was fine and he was like why do you want this role. I think you can do better and do another senior role. A bit of a cockney this fella, so felt relaxed around him.

Just explained I want to be working in a vanilla environment and paycut wasn't an issue and if room for progression then great.

It was a normal technician role, installs, resetting and maintenance etc. I guess he thought I would bugger off as soon as something else came along. So here's hoping.

Just getting disheartened now.

Sorry ramble over.

Thank Post
    TBH (and hopefully it's some consolation) if you're part way through MCSE, you're way above resetting passwords - and yes, you'd be bored in six months time. So it's probably for the best, even though at the moment it feels a bit like being rejected. You should take it as a compliment

The few people I've spoken to who've found work have been taking six months or so to get anything, that's how cut-throat the competition is at the moment. It's a sad fact of life; you've just got to keep your head up and keep your eyes peeled for something interesting.

Good luck with the hunt, here's hoping

9. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

pcman (6th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers for that. I guess I was just willing to accept it to get on a vanilla network and have real life experience and was hoping he'd offer me something better.

I feel a bit brighter this evening and every cloud has a silver lining. :-)

Think I will just knuckle down and use the time for studying.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by pcman; 6th April 2009 at 09:02 PM.

Thank Post
    I've been looking for a general IT Manager position (school or otherwise) for 11 months now without much luck. Try these sites and register for email lists to be sent thru' based on your search criteria :

hayes.co.uk
    reed.co.uk
    friendsreunitedjobs.co.uk
    cwjobs.co.uk
    purelyit.co.uk
    theitjobboard.co.uk
    jobsite.co.uk
    planetrecruit.co.uk
    totaljobs.co.uk
    monster.co.uk
    cv-library.co.uk
    jumptojobs.co.uk

HTH

12. 2 Thanks to UKDarkstar:

AXE (7th April 2009), pcman (7th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    TBH (and hopefully it's some consolation) if you're part way through MCSE, you're way above resetting passwords - and yes, you'd be bored in six months time. So it's probably for the best, even though at the moment it feels a bit like being rejected. You should take it as a compliment

The few people I've spoken to who've found work have been taking six months or so to get anything, that's how cut-throat the competition is at the moment. It's a sad fact of life; you've just got to keep your head up and keep your eyes peeled for something interesting.

Good luck with the hunt, here's hoping
    I agree, but who wouldn't get bored of resetting passwords for a living? The level of qualifications you have is irrelevant. If something is boring, it's boring.

14. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

pcman (7th April 2009)

Thank Post
    That's true, if it's boring it's boring,

I've just been sent a helpdesk role from a friend. On the phone, so boring and humdrum I'm guessing, as it's on the phone and no interaction and they won't advertise if I get it.

I'm a people person, just not if those people are teachers who try and plug a usb lead into a network socket, , but it's a job and it's a four to six week contract.

So it's money and I'll be free if something comes up.

Feeling positive still, just that one night. Knowing you're not the only one struggling makes it clearer.

Thanks everyone. Will look over those sites too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread