+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Starting My Own Company in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Ok. I have filled out 1001 Computer Technician application forms since last year December, all came back by post: ''Unfortunetly ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Starting My Own Company

Ok. I have filled out 1001 Computer Technician application forms since last year December, all came back by post: ''Unfortunetly you have not been successful'' blah blah blah. From I was employed as a computer repair technician in Jamaica, I wanted to be my own boss. My feelings tell me that I will never get employed in the UK. Is it because im from Jamaica, no qualifications, over experienced, no UK driving license or its because im just from Jamaica?

Im very compitent in my line of career, Repairing Computers. Computers are very cheap in the UK. I think that if a part goes bad, someone can easily buy a new computer.

Should I register my own IT Company? Should I do a questionnaire just to get a feel of the market out there? Is it hard to start up a company in the UK?

Thank Post
    How long have you been trying to get into the IT field? It took me 5 years and it took someone I know 10 years to get into IT. Each time I asked for feedback and it was always because I didn't have this or that (it was because I didn't have a driving licence or qualifications at the time).

-Ken
    Last edited by wagnerk; 28th March 2009 at 01:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Since the week after I came in the UK. I came in the UK December 13, 2008. Im not used to be out of a job for more than 3 weeks. My wife is due to have a child today and I want to have for my child. I want to start a future. Today I fell like printing some questionnaires and hand them all out. I love to work.

.....10 years seem like life in prison.

Thank Post
    What specific skills do you have?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    What specific skills do you have?
    Repairs in PCs and Macintosh
    Server 2003
    Exchange Server
    Windows 98-Vista
    Printer Repairs
    UPS Repairs
    Structured Cabling
    Electronics

My past job was field base. So our clients' devices varies.

Thank Post
    IT Master,

By chance, I happen to have read a few of your previous threads, so am more aware of your struggle than some others.

I have to say, your implicit remark about the possibility of racism is very unlikely to be the reason you're not in employment. The fact that you suggest it might be seem to me like you might have some issues of your own along those lines to sort out.

Your other threads have really covered all you need to know.
    In this current climate no one can expect to simply walk in to a job - they need to fight for one, and to be prepared to stand out from everyone else. They also need to keep going and learn to deal with rejection positively, asking for feedback and working towards resolving critique.

A previous thread said you were thinking about taking some exams, and you felt sure that you could simply put in for the exams without even studying! If that is truly the case, I would suggest it is a good starting point. You might have all the experience in the world, but without proof it isn't going to get you noticed.

This post might seem a bit harsh, but in some ways I think this is what you need. If you KNOW you are able to perform in a high-quality role then focus on that and spend your energy searching for posts and filling in application forms. Don't give up or think negatively.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    IT Master,

By chance, I happen to have read a few of your previous threads, so am more aware of your struggle than some others......
    No harsh. Where racism is concern I think people are brain washing me. But I can clear up that. I do want to be certified but my wife then said that she has no money at the moment. The money is for the coming baby. I think im just stressed, being inside all day is not what im used to. I dont watch tv nor having the heater on. I'll do some pc repairs until I can pay for certifications. Who knows...I may be the next Geek Squad in the UK.

Thank Post
    If your situation calls for it, then it wouldn't harm getting a job outside of IT for a while...?
    Sounds like your main concern is money and the baby arrival - so any job is better than no job? Once you've worked for a while and been able to save a bit you can start taking some IT exams and applying for more positions?

Thank Post
    Yea but most jobs iv applied for, not IT, needs CV. My CV is IT related. Im used to resume not CV.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    You have been applying for jobs for less than 6 months - in IT and in the current economic climate, that really isn't very long. All I can say is echo what others have said: get some paper qualifications, if you can, keep applying for jobs and eventually you will be successful.
    RING UP AND ASK WHY YOU DIDN'T GET ANYWHERE.
    I wonder why you havent got an interview - do you have the right to work in the UK - and if so then is it stated properly on the forms, whether or not they ask for it? eg where they ask for nationality but not work status, you could put: "Jamaican with full work permit for UK" or whatever.
    I would like to see a specimen application form that you are filling in - perhaps you are not getting across your experience and what you actually did in your previous jobs?
    I used to be an electronics recruitment headhunter so perhaps I can help you - by all means pm me if you think I can.

11. Thanks to witch from:

IT_Master (31st March 2009)

Thank Post
    I think I know what the problem is. When the ask for school qualifications I put CXC instead of GCSE. Make matters worst I dont have those past papers. Hurricane destroyed them lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Master View Post
    I think I know what the problem is. When the ask for school qualifications I put CXC instead of GCSE. Make matters worst I dont have those past papers. Hurricane destroyed them lol.
    Can you not contact the school or examination board in Jamaica and get copies?

Thank Post
    Yea...I can do that. Ill have my mom deal with that.

Thank Post
    Starting your own business can be just as hard as getting a job, you need to build up your customer base which im sure a lot of people will tell you isn't easy.

Thank Post
    As someone who started up my own business I can confirm that it's no picnic. I took things slowly and I was lucky enough for the first year to have a girlfriend who was the career orientated one and covering the bills.

That relationship didn't work out but the relationship I built up with my schools and the business I've developed over time has grown very, very slowly to the point where I'm finally earning a decent wage and I'm now expecting my first child with a very supportive wife.

If I had anything to suggest it would be the point a few people have pointed out already...

You need an income more than you need to be in IT so start looking for other jobs that at least pay the bills. That will reduce your stress levels enough that you can use spare time to develop your business plans and/or continue looking for other jobs. The more options you leave open the better your chances and whilst it may feel like you're closing doors if you take a job, especially when you're not keen on it, it is really never that bad.

I would certainly recommend sorting out the paper trail, so that all your qualifications and expertise is easy to review and think about ways you can demonstrate that experiences and skill. Perhaps consider joining Fixya.com as an expert and start answering the questions on there. Likewise think about sharing your knowledge here. Make sure you take questions you can answer in a professional manner and who knows someone may well pick up on your skills and say "We NEED this guy!". It's all about the little things and above all else it's about not giving up.

Corny as it sounds the film "The pursuit of happiness" is a good primer on this... Anything is possible but you make your own luck by hard work, persistence and more hard work.

If you're really set on the self employed side of things I'd look at it as a spare time approach. Can you refurbish spares & repair items and then resell them at a profit? If you can, it'd be a real niche opportunity because people are looking to keep things working longer now that they can't afford to replace them.

I could go on for hours here but I think everyone's covered the bases... Time to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and spread your wings somewhat to give yourself as many opportunities as you can.

Best of luck...
    Last edited by contink; 28th March 2009 at 05:10 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast