+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Starting My Own Company in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; The problem of the education sector is getting in, the benift is it's hard to get out (unless you want ...

Thank Post
    The problem of the education sector is getting in, the benift is it's hard to get out (unless you want to hand your notice in).

It's either a question of working for free somewhere, then make sure you time it right, so that when you leave they miss you and want to hire you. Failing that, try and your foot in the door, part-time work blah blah. It's a few hundred quid to do a qualification in networking (ie installing Cat5e), a job no one really likes doing and is willing to pay for someone else to do it. Again, it's a foot in the door and it pays the bills!

(Need speller checking software!!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Master View Post
    I think I know what the problem is. When the ask for school qualifications I put CXC instead of GCSE. Make matters worst I dont have those past papers. Hurricane destroyed them lol.
    I don't know how old you are but the school exam results become pretty irrelevant when you've got a reasonable amount of work experience.

It doesn't really matter whether you call it a resume or a CV - it ought to cover pretty much the same stuff. The important thing is that the CV and covering letter are the only things a potential employer has in order to decide if they want to interview you. Try and stand back from what you've written and pretend that you don't know you and are reading this for the first time. Would you be impressed by what you see? If not, then neither will an employer.

I know it's probably obvious, but over the years I've read far too many forms and letters of application which tell me very little and really don't sell the candidate. Look carefully at any job advert - there will always be a list of requirements. Go through them, think about what you've done that means you fit those requirements and explain that. If you can, get someone else to read through what you've written - check the spelling and grammar; make sure the layout is good (but don't make it too fancy)

Watch out also for just producing a list - eg if I say I want experience with Windows desktops, experience of configuring switches, experience of backing up servers then don't just put "I have experience with Windows desktops, experience of configuring switches" etc. Tell me what you've done - how many machines have you worked on, what sort of things have you done?

Many employers will get tens or even hundreds of applications for a job. They'll go very quickly through the forms or letters and any which are poorly presented will get chucked. Any which don't give good info about the candidate will also go. You have to make sure that the content of the letter/form really makes the person reading think "I'd like to meet this person; I'm going to call them in for an interview"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I don't know how old you are but the school exam results become pretty irrelevant when you've got a reasonable amount of work experience.
    Job I got now, I got because of my past experience. Last job I applied for, I was in a rush, so it was extremely basic, I just put down a few bits I've setup and used which I though they might want to hear I could do.

Basically if it's a school, they want to know you can maintain the network, deal with the kids (ie not kill the little $***%%) and deal with the staff who know nothing (or know too much).
    Last edited by witch; 28th March 2009 at 10:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Master View Post
    Computers are very cheap in the UK. I think that if a part goes bad, someone can easily buy a new computer.
    Just my opinion here, don't take any of my advice too seriously, but I reckon now is a good time to be running a "upgrade and fix" type service instead of a "buy a new PC" service. People don't have the money to buy a whole new PC, and even 5-year-old PCs are perfectly serviceable. Actually, most new netbooks sold pretty much match 5-year-old PCs in terms of computing power, they generally just need a RAM upgrade and a re-install of Windows XP and away you go. You could offer that for, say, a 100 fixed fee - "get your old computer running as good as new, with RAM upgrade and reinstall of Windows and all data transferred accross", and all you need is a Windows install CD and an external harddrive to store user files. Always handy to have a few webcams and second-hand LCD screens on hand to sell, too.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Let me give you my two cents on it. This is what I did and what helped me however every situation is unique. I got out of school and right away had 5 interviews and was able to get one job offer. I took that job thinking that it was my dream job. I soon realized it wasnt the field for me. So here I was with a programming degree specialized in video games. I thought I would walk into any business programming or repaied based and they would be fighting over me....Boy I was wrong.

I applied at many programming companies, had many many interviews. In most cases even a second interview. However, companies didnt like me because I programmed video games. I had one even say "We program serious things here, we dont make play things".

Anyways, I moved to where I currently lived because I saw a need for an honest computer repair business. I had a little savings, and my girlfriend had a decent job. We discussed it and decided to give it a go. It was a ton of sacrifice. I think there were days I didnt go home. However, I ran a decent business. Some months were amazing the next were slow. However I think if you took what I made and make it a salary I was making less than 8 dollars an hour. What I earned from it though was amazing.

When I ran my business there were months that were slow and some were hectic. I knew I needed a bachelors degree to be considered for a good paying job and I set out to earn that as well. I wont lie it was extremely tough to mange your time of your life/work/school however it was possible and a sacrifice I made. I graduated within a couple years with my degree. I then applied for jobs again and got the very first job I applied for which was a good job.

The schooling wasnt even the biggest thing I achieved. The ability to run a some what successful business is a training course no school can offer. You may think your repair abilities are grand, but I guarantee you will learn more and gain some business skills that will help with any job you take int he future.

If you choose to start a business do the following:
    Look up business plans and create one.
    Do a SWOT analysis.
    Remember residential computer repairs will help you some months, but that wont be your bread and butter.
    Try to get service contracts with business's.
    Be fair and do good work.
    Never charge to much, or to little. If you charge to little people will often not even consider you.

Any way it goes I wish you the best of luck!

Thank Post
    If you want to get hired, the get your A+ and start to get your MCSE. It's costly but if you want to get hired you need some sort of qualification. Once hired you can move on with a good work record.

Working for yourself as a repair tech? Possibly but you will need network knowledge and experience if you want to make a living.

Thank Post
    I had quite a few jobs from pchomehelp.org. Also the website takes a rip off amount of money from you.

Shame though - its drying out now.

Thank Post
    With regard to starting your own business, it is very hard. VERY hard.
    Having spent this past year setting things up along with juggling a full time job it has been extremely exhausting. When you're not thinking about work in a fulltime job you are thinking about the other work you have to do. I wish it was as simple as setting up a business and getting on with a job you enjoy. It's far from that.
    Taxes / Invoices / Websites / Market Research / Business Banking / Self-evaluation / Competition
    It really is a lot of work, and most of it does not pay anything. I would recommend finding yourself a job in the meantime outside of the industry because it certainly gives you a thirst for it when you come home, giving you a fresh mind to concentrate on your own work.
    It sounds like you aren't in the best situation for starting a business, it seems like an easy road but you really don't get paid for a long time after starting it. The other problem is, it is quite expensive if, like me, you start it with next to no cash. The only real benefit I had was paying for my webhosting outright, that gave me the time to work on my selling points, what I wanted to achieve and where I want to take my business.
    It is a very competitive market at the moment and not easy to get into, especially if you are unfamiliar with the UK's tax system. Theres a lot of hidden bits to it that make me cringe, and I have the benefits of having a taxman as a good friend and a girlfriend with a father as an accountant.

Dont rush into starting a business due to financial reasons, it often fails. Find yourself a job to get yourself by and work on your business in your spare time. It's the only way it's financially viable.

Good luck

9. Thanks to apoth0r from:

Messa (30th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    With regard to starting your own business, it is very hard. VERY hard.
    Having spent this past year setting things up along with juggling a full time job it has been extremely exhausting. When you're not thinking about work in a fulltime job you are thinking about the other work you have to do. I wish it was as simple as setting up a business and getting on with a job you enjoy. It's far from that.
    Taxes / Invoices / Websites / Market Research / Business Banking / Self-evaluation / Competition
    It really is a lot of work, and most of it does not pay anything. I would recommend finding yourself a job in the meantime outside of the industry because it certainly gives you a thirst for it when you come home, giving you a fresh mind to concentrate on your own work.
    It sounds like you aren't in the best situation for starting a business, it seems like an easy road but you really don't get paid for a long time after starting it. The other problem is, it is quite expensive if, like me, you start it with next to no cash. The only real benefit I had was paying for my webhosting outright, that gave me the time to work on my selling points, what I wanted to achieve and where I want to take my business.
    It is a very competitive market at the moment and not easy to get into, especially if you are unfamiliar with the UK's tax system. Theres a lot of hidden bits to it that make me cringe, and I have the benefits of having a taxman as a good friend and a girlfriend with a father as an accountant.

Dont rush into starting a business due to financial reasons, it often fails. Find yourself a job to get yourself by and work on your business in your spare time. It's the only way it's financially viable.

Good luck
    Agreed, it is hard work!

Thank Post
    Thanks for your replies and mind-sharing. Im currently getting help with my CV. Help that I never got before. Now im getting the understanding of what a CV entails. But I used to juggle back home and I never needed any form of income, so you do I need it here? Whats the difference? The only income I need is bus fare lol. But all that is said, you guys are the greatest. Thanks for your word on things, it really helps.

Thank Post

feedback

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    How long have you been trying to get into the IT field? It took me 5 years and it took someone I know 10 years to get into IT. Each time I asked for feedback and it was always because I didn't have this or that (it was because I didn't have a driving licence or qualifications at the time).

-Ken
    Speaking of Feedback, any news about the feedback I asked?
    Graham

Thank Post
    Im getting some excellent professional help from "witch" in this forum. My CV and a application im getting help with looks untouchable. WOW!
    Last edited by witch; 31st March 2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Spellling of the name!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12