+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, God how do you do interviews again.... in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Got an interview next week not done an interview in nearly 3 years got to back into that mindset hmm... ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

God how do you do interviews again....

Got an interview next week not done an interview in nearly 3 years got to back into that mindset hmm...

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: God how do you do interviews again....

Do you want us to grill you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol

might make feel worst

Any pointers on dida would help pretty confident with most other things but not had much day to day stuff with dida so at moment looking at stuff trying to get a handle on it...

Russ

Thank Post

with your skills you should walk the interview.
    and of course, dress appropriately for the interview. I've included a link here
    sartorial elegence which should give you some pointers for the big day. Now then, which of these three charming young ladies, all similarly attired you'll note, eventually won over the hearts of the interview panel? It was the lady on the left of course. Porquoi, I hear you ask. Well, and forgive me for being so forward, the girl in the middle should have worn a blouse to cover up that tattoo. bit of a no-no in the office don't you think? you may think that there's very little to choose between the two young lovelys flanking Miss Essex, but you'd be wrong. Just scrutinize the lady on the left, the subtle application of makeup, and of course the moustache. Nothing wrong with a tache on a young gel y'know. See how much care and attention she must have spent keeping that trimmed and in peak condition. I would say that this young lady would be an adornment to any office. So take heart Russ.

Thank Post

nice one beeswax, but you should have included a warning as my eyes didnt recover from the last time is say that pic

Thank Post

From my recent experience, three things to remember:

1) be honest
    2) smile (not too much - we don't want you looking like a loon)
    3) keep the eye contact thing going (for goodness' sake - don't wink!)

Also, I read that writing a 'thank you' letter afterwards, thanking the interviewer(s) for inviting you and wishing them well in their search is supposed to look polite and professional.

Jolly good luck

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sound them out about how they feel about working on national agenda items with the likes of Becta, NAACE, SSAT and so on ...

It may be that this is a massive selling point, but it may also be that they don't want their NM out for what could be 1 day a fortnight. Mention that you do most of it in your own time but occasionally that you link up with others in a similar role that actually have allocated time a year to work on these strategies ... and this can eat into the normal working week.

Sell your contacts ... sell the fact that on the rare occassions you cannot find an answer for something you have nearly 1000 geeks at your beck and call ... sell the idea that sharing best practice about technical aspects in schools gives you access to best practice and ideas for T&L.

Talk about blogs (giving examples from other schools ... name drop), talk about independant learning through ICT (VLEs ... moodle ... name drop!), talk about podcasting, talk about CMS and your role in web development.

Talk about research into LNM (and RIS and so on) as an example of trying to find best value for schools, mention that you are both a Mac and Windows user (you could mention that this can now be onthe same box) and that you have found (as have a number of schools) that access to different systems can improve the level of transferable skills, making the students more adaptable to change and faster learners of concepts (note the seperate idea of skils and concepts ... this is something that is mentioned on the SLICT and TeamSLICT courses so someone on the interview should recognise it).

Talk about security, both physical and logical (locked rooms / access to machines ... and who is allowed to see relevant data). See if they have an AUP anywhere ... compare it against what you think they should have. Try and find out about their infrastructure before you go along. Is it CC3, Classlink, Vanilla? Do they have any OSS around the school? What is their MIS? Do they have any outside contracts (other than LA support)?

Have a look at the school results. See if they underperform in any areas. Look for examples of good practice in other schools that use ICT to help those areas (eg KS3 core subjects being helped by SAM Learning, etc).

Is their website any good? Could you knock together something better in 1/2 an hour using Joomla? Do it and take it along on a laptop.

Just a few more ideas ...

Thank Post

Good grief Tony, who's supposed to be interviewing who??!!??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As far as I am concerned when I go for a job I need to be persuaded it is somewhere I want to be ... somewhere that is going to be my home and vocation for at least the next 5 years. I want to know that there is a working development plan that is not based on knee-jerk reactions to the last set of results or the last inspection.

The reason I say this is because you could end up in a school that will dump last minute things on you like, "English are running a new course that does lots of media stuff ... it looks like they need access to rooms for basic video editting ... have a chat with the Head of English," for her to then say "Oh yes ... we have 10 groups to get through 3 units involving media, 1 unit involving an online course and the other units have to have their materials prepared electronically" ... having just finished your plan for the next 3 years because the school is skint as they have just put a lot of capital into a new block starting over the summer.

Hmmm ... I feel a blog entry coming on ...

Actually ... this is a very rare occurence now ... neither the Business Manager or myself let it happen. It may be that the change of course does not go ahead this year as a result.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Sound them out about how they feel about working on national agenda items with the likes of Becta, NAACE, SSAT and so on ... .
    Think shouldnt be major problem as they bidding to become maths and computing school.

It may be that this is a massive selling point, but it may also be that they don't want their NM out for what could be 1 day a fortnight. Mention that you do most of it in your own time but occasionally that you link up with others in a similar role that actually have allocated time a year to work on these strategies ... and this can eat into the normal working week.
    already in job spec toa degree

"to attend appropiate training courses and ict showcases as when available/necessary"

Have a look at the school results. See if they underperform in any areas. Look for examples of good practice in other schools that use ICT to help those areas (eg KS3 core subjects being helped by SAM Learning, etc).
    got results already first hting did was download them...

Thats great

cheers

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

Business manager heck!! have to get me one of them. What do they look like and do they cost a lot?
    Are they friendly in the morning?

Hehe only joking GrumbleDook it's Fridayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!! way haey weekend time is here again everybody.

russdev, Good luck with the interview just be yourself genuine and honest and don't forget ask them what they see is the future for IT within their school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread