+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Business Intelligence job in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi there, I have completed my graduation in e-Business last year and obtained 2:1. I am looking for job related ...

Thank Post

Business Intelligence job

Hi there,

I have completed my graduation in e-Business last year and obtained 2:1. I am looking for job related to 'Business Intelligence' as I have done my final year project on that and it is one of my favourate area as well. Although that's all about reading books and no experience using particular software on Data Mining or whatsever. I have applied to few software industries but they turned me down as I havn't got any hand in experience (not in commercial sector either). Any clue where I can do volunteer work to gain experience in this area. Thank you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonayed View Post
    Hi there,

I have completed my graduation in e-Business last year and obtained 2:1. I am looking for job related to 'Business Intelligence' as I have done my final year project on that and it is one of my favourate area as well. Although that's all about reading books and no experience using particular software on Data Mining or whatsever. I have applied to few software industries but they turned me down as I havn't got any hand in experience (not in commercial sector either). Any clue where I can do volunteer work to gain experience in this area. Thank you.
    Clearly you need to gain experience, I take it you have applied for internships & graduate schemes? Did you do any placements as part of your degree? What sort of thing are you looking to do? Business Analyst? Project Manager? Software Development? Are you more on the Business or the Technical side? I think a period doing low paid internship is your best bet, then you can get a more lucrative role net year.

These are some jobs out there although many internships require you to be a student so it might be worth returning to University and doing either a Masters or a more Vocational focused course.

Intel Job Opportunities

Apple - Job Opportunities - Job description

GE Internship
    Last edited by somabc; 18th February 2009 at 01:13 AM.

3. Thanks to somabc from:

jonayed (18th February 2009)

Thank Post
    many thanks for replying. Unfortunately I havn't done placement. I am interested to be a Business Intelligence analyst and I have seen the requirments that firm's looking for this role including very good knowledge of data warehouse, data mining and so on. And I am familiar of these but not in real hand experience. And I think it is more about technical. Thanks once again.

Thank Post
    I have completed my graduation in e-Business last year and obtained 2:1.
    Go start an e-Business? Maybe team up with a couple of other developers.

no experience using particular software on Data Mining or whatsever.
    Could you get some data-mining software and use it to analyse some data, include the report in your CV? Pick something that can be explained in one page of A4, and with a bit of appeal. Getting surprising statistics from old census data (or the Domesday Book?) might work, or run something over the OpenStreetMap data. Hmm, trying to think of other large data sources now...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    firm's looking for this role including very good knowledge of data warehouse, data mining and so on. And I am familiar of these but not in real hand experience.
    Ah, I get it - you basically need some organisation with a stack of data sitting around that you can volunteer to run some analysis over. Are website logs good enough - could you analyse a site's traffic logs and tell them useful stuff about their visitors?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread