+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Tech Interview advice required in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; It's OK Jiser I was really only joking! And yes, I have experience of AD and GPO but not on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    It's OK Jiser I was really only joking! And yes, I have experience of AD and GPO but not on my own, but as it turns out I actually know a lot already - some of the bits I thought were Schoolcare's were actually vanilla so I could do them after all!
    The policies were fine but someone hadn't actually 'applied' them so some of them just didn't do anything.
    Interesting about the filtering etc - all off when I got here - wonder who that was then?
    As for the newsletter - have made it clear I don't have time and whilst still doing it, they are slowly getting the message. What really annoyed me was the office sending me a template - if they've got a flaming template, they can do the whole thing, surely? After all, a lot of the stuff they send me anyway - how hard is it to drag and drop the text?
    Thanks for making it clear your opinion of you-know-who - I have made it clear that I am not keen and they are listening, probably because I am restating what you already said. I also know a lot of very clever people and one in particular has already been in to help.
    As for the website, well it is OK although it has its moments. I don't mind doing it but again I have made it clear that whilst I don't mind changing things, content should really be an admin job. Again, nothing has changed yet, but it will, it will!!
    So what have you learned that you didn't learn before?

Thank Post
    TBH thats why I made the website with a CMS so people like teachers etc cud add bits. "Were to overworked bla bla" Noooo I see lots of people going home at 3.30.

Also a few of my best mates are teachers. I know very well how it works. Its not difficult to spend 5 mins adding something, bloomin teachers!! :P Someone high up does it at my school. Updating stuff - not hard.

Yeh I bet somebody disabled it as I had taken down a few things so I could download stuff - didn't know about 'staff' proxy etc at the time, no one had ever told me or I never found out anything about it. So anyway maybe some of them had got used to not having some parts up, moaned about it and then somebody disabled all of filtering ; / jeeees.
    Last edited by Jiser; 22nd February 2009 at 05:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    By the way they still sing your praises re the website and newsletter

Thank Post
    I would just like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the advice they have given me.

The interview is just around the corner and I feel not overly confident but however more positive that I have a chance of getting the job.

Thanking everyone once again.

Thank Post
    good luck

i got my degree, did a year a half in industry then applied for a school job. absolutely love it. never had so much job satisfaction in my life

int was stratightforward. be ready for the virus question (what would you do if a pc got a virus)

ask loads of questions, not only will you get honest answers but it mmakes you look enthusaistic

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayaz View Post
    good luck

i got my degree, did a year a half in industry then applied for a school job. absolutely love it. never had so much job satisfaction in my life

int was stratightforward. be ready for the virus question (what would you do if a pc got a virus)

ask loads of questions, not only will you get honest answers but it mmakes you look enthusaistic
    Thanks for the advice.

Not sure though about the virus question. As an technician please could you shed some light of what actions you would take if computer at school got a virus.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graduate View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

Not sure though about the virus question. As an technician please could you shed some light of what actions you would take if computer at school got a virus.

Cheers
    What would you do if you got a virus at home? Think about what actions you would take and then think of what you may need to do on a network.
    Last edited by penfold; 24th February 2009 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Run a virus check.

Find out about the virus, delete appropriate files/registry entrys if required to get rid of the virus.

Use the 'admin console' of said virus software to scan for other virus on other machines.

Thank Post
    Try this. See the 1st Line Full Procedure Attached.

Basically you want to isolate the machine from the network to stop the spread of the virus. Then you want to remove the virus. Check what software is configured to run on startup, possibly check registry entries to see if safe mode has been affected. It is no good removing the infection if a rootkit is going to reinfect the PC on startup.

Reboot in safe mode.
    Turn off system restore.
    Scan with up to date virus scanner.
    Check Logs
    reboot
    Scan with up to date Malware remover (Super Antispyware / Malware bytes)
    Check Logs
    reboot
    Scan again to be sure infection is gone

If windows is totally knackered and there is little data on the machine itself then reinstall.
    [Time/Benefit Analysis, don't spend a week trying to remove an infection on a machine that can be backed up and reinstalled in a day].

Otherwise try a Linux Anti-Virus CD such as Kaspersky or F-Secure

Download FREE Bootable Rescue CDs from Kaspersky, BitDefender, Avira, F-Secure
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by somabc; 24th February 2009 at 02:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Just like to let everyone know I have been successful in my first ICT Tech interview.

I would also like to thank everyone for their support and advice provided. It was very helpful.

Just looking forward to the start date and hopefully everything should be fine.

Thank you everyone.

AXE
    Thank Post
    Congratulations and good luck!

Thank Post
    well done. job satisfzaction is on its way to you.

Thank Post
    Congrats. So how big is the team your joining?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Congrats. So how big is the team your joining?
    The team consists of four members thats including me. Is it better to work in a big or smaller team?

AXE
    Thank Post
    Depends on a lot of things... Size of network, number of sites/users, technologies used, budget. But above all it depends on the staff; managers, peers, subordinates... It all hinges on how well you work as a team. I started off as a lowly technician, within a year I was running the network all on my own. A few years later I had a team of technicians to train. After six years I was negotiating software discounts, commissioning SDSL lines, terminating fibre-optic cable and implementing IPSEC over subnets. From little acorns eh? Now, I've been unemployed for 18 months and I'm expected to throw away a 12 year IT career and apply for a job as a bin-man ( I didn't even get that job ). Wish me luck... I need it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast