+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT job advertised as teaching support in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I have seen a few references to this and it applies to a job I'm applying for . job will ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ICT job advertised as teaching support

I have seen a few references to this and it applies to a job I'm applying for . job will involve some after school clubs, exam invidulation! but also the usual sims, media creation, VLE updating etc. Its a small school so I can see how folks would be expected to muck in from time to time. But I get the feeling that there may be some fudging of the job descriptions to move IT staff away from BSF affected positions to more teaching support roles. I am interested in teaching as a possible future career so it works for me but I am interested to hear peoples views regarding this shift in how jobs are being advertised.

Thank Post
    As a NM in a small school, It sounds to me as if the job description may be unusually accurate! you do end up doing EVERYTHING! besides keeping the network and PCs going, add in lunchtime clubs, classroom assistant work, sound engineering, doing one-off sessions in local primary schools and I've even appeared in the timetable this year. Anyone got a brush?! I'm not complaining btw, this is my second stint in this school - I knew exactly what I was coming back to - just saying the advert may be unusually frank

Thank Post
    It's usually those job descriptions which end, "you'll be asked to undertake other tasks as and when necessary" which you should worry about. In this case that's probably 99% of them.
    I think that the SLT in that school realizes what the job actually entails, so think yourself lucky.

Thank Post
    But you will need to get a breakdown of what priorities you should have. As you say if its a small school you may be asked to do a variety of roles. However, you need to know what is top priority so you can say no when you need to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm maybe I have an attack of BSF paranoia. But it does raise the question if its a pending BSF (wave 7 I believe, the school was built in the last 10 years but I dont suppose that means they will be left out of the ict managed service.) Interesting to find out what affect this will have on a learning support person rather that a network manager which I am now, to tupe or not to tupe?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread