+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Doing voluntary work within RM network, will it help? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi all, I'm currently doing some voluentary work in a primary school in Essex. They are running an RM network ...

Thank Post

Doing voluntary work within RM network, will it help?

Hi all,

I'm currently doing some voluentary work in a primary school in Essex. They are running an RM network and I am gaing some good experience, would this look good on my CV for finding work within a school environment? There just seem to be no jobs going at the moment atall!!! I really do need some help here. what do you all make to the RM network? Also does anyone know of any jobs within Essex or London at the minute?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm afraid I can't offer any help with finding the jobs but the work experience will help; you'll find many jobs are advertised asking for experience and this at least gives you a little of that.

Make sure that you can write about what you've actually done; give examples of how you've really helped to make the school work well.

Thank Post
    Dude everything you do volunteering or otherwise (i.t.) is gonna help!! Try to implement some new changes etc etc. Don't let them take the micky tho, can't volunteer for ever.

Thank Post
    Thanks dudes! I just really want to find work within education as I am hating the corporate environment! Hopfully something will turn up soon! Also is there any way that I can learn more about the RM MANAGEMENT CONSOLE. The IT manager of the school is quite helpless and I have no idea how the survive at the minute! I just want some sites or literature on RM as I find it quite interesting.

Thanks all

Thank Post
    RM - Support Home Page will let you view some things but you need a valid support contract to get anything further.

Might help Failing that, get in touch and I'll try and help.

Thank Post
    Voluntary work is definitely the right thing to do. It gives you experience and shows willing. Paper certs can't do either of these for you.

You sound like you're in the same position I was 7 years ago. Stuck in dull office job and wanting to get into IT.

I went for 16 interviews in 9 months, before a local school offered to let me do voluntary IT support. That swung it at the next interview with another local school and I got the job (easily, I was told later). Seven years later, and I'm still there, and enjoying it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I'm afraid I can't offer any help with finding the jobs but the work experience will help; you'll find many jobs are advertised asking for experience and this at least gives you a little of that.

Make sure that you can write about what you've actually done; give examples of how you've really helped to make the school work well.
    im agree, i did my volunteering for 3 months, now i got a kob in london as a permanenet technician.

Thank Post
    Any experience is good - so keep at it!

The RM network will have come with several manuals and a couple of training CD's - very handy to read through. See if you can find them! If not drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes voluntary work is hard as you try and do your best and you dont get to see any reward at the end of the month. i worked voluntary for 6 months working full time 8-5:30 mon-fri for nothing. and it paid of in the end as the school took me on properly jan09

it was a long wait but its all paid of in the end, and working voluntary wasn't so bad i learned allot in those 6months

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread