+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, New ICT Support Technician - Needs Advice - Please in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Oh link is here: Becta Schools - Resources - Technical support...
    Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanks laputa01 for the link, the information is very good.

Thank Post
    How did you guys become Technicians. At one point in time you must have had no experience in schools like me so how did you break the Ice.

I am looking for Trainee role in Midlands and I have a good understanding of networks,hardware and software as I have undertaken a one year placement in the NHS.

So how can I make myself stand out and end up in a Tech job at school. Are you guys aware of any Tech jobs out there in midlands apart from those on local council sites. To me ICT tech market seems quite am I looking in the wrong places for jobs.

All advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post
    i was lucky enougth to get a job in a school on my uni placement then when i graduated just kept lookingin local papers goverment webs site job go public. go into some of your local schools ask to speak with the network manager and see if they need some help.

Thank Post
    Thanks Peterpan,

I have tried this but the schools are saying they dont need help and have nothing going at the moment.

Thank Post
    I started here about 5 years ago with no previous IT work experience, just a hobby.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about anything right now, wait until you've at least been in the place fora week or month to find out what you're going to need to learn about, it really could be anything.

Maybe you can answer this for me though, what sort of thing did you do at interview? Questions/test etc, we're holding one soon and I need to sort it out!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I started with some freelance work- shops, pubs, etc

Get them to give you a paragrapgh or so of blurp about what you've done for them, looks good for the CV/references.

Really, just keep plugging away at interviews, and make sure you've got a broad range of skills - what a school is definitly looking for.

Thank Post
    I too started out as a uni placement student and have worked my way up from there to being an ICT Manager.

Having recently sat on interview panels for ICT Technician Roles, I can tell you that experience is equally as important as qualifications, but it does not outweigh them.

You can always tell the bluffers as well, so have a solid knowledge of your field before going into the interview / filling in the application form.

It's also a difficult time in schools at the momment with BSF, and many heads are even more reluctant to hire technical staff than they usually would be.

Just keep trying and you'll get there.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    I am not a quitter I will keep on trying but a point comes in life when you feel is this meant to be or not.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graduate View Post
    How did you guys become Technicians. At one point in time you must have had no experience in schools like me so how did you break the Ice.

I am looking for Trainee role in Midlands and I have a good understanding of networks,hardware and software as I have undertaken a one year placement in the NHS.

So how can I make myself stand out and end up in a Tech job at school. Are you guys aware of any Tech jobs out there in midlands apart from those on local council sites. To me ICT tech market seems quite am I looking in the wrong places for jobs.

All advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    It is honestly as simple as waiting until a vacancy comes up and then applying.

I know you don't want to hear this but the job market in general is very poor just now, companies are not hiring, many are cutting back on staff, people who may have been thinking about changing posts are putting it off, vacant posts are not being filled as everyone looks to cut costs.

If you are an ICT Tech in a school, then you are pretty unlikely to be made redundant. Even under BSF your job is fairly safe for now as you will be transferred to the new employer. So you can expect fewer jobs to become available as more people stay longer in one job and when vacancies do come up competition will be stronger.

The best thing you can do is gain more experience/qualifications in IT so that when an opening does come up you will have a stronger chance of getting the post. Gain experience wherever you can, do not limit yourself to Educational IT. I would say look at NHS / Local Government along with Small Businesses in your area.

You could also do some training to gain an MCSE or CCNA.
    Last edited by somabc; 21st January 2009 at 04:17 PM.

11. Thanks to somabc from:

Graduate (21st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Left the army 9 years ago, did my NT 4.0 MSCE for resettlement. Within 2 weeks of leaving a job agency phoned and I walked straight into a network managers job at a school 10 mins walk away from where I was living at the time.
    I was rather lucky though. This was just before the market was to be flooded with 'paper pass' MCSEs and schools were recruiting IT staff to support their brand new NGFL networks.

Thank Post
    A tech here in Suffolk asked me to give him a reference for the headteacher at the school he was applying to. "There are three types of tech, those that think they know everything, those that DO know everything and those that know something and can find out the rest! He is the last type."

The tech got the job and a grade pay rise. Has since gone on to teach us stuff.

As long as you are honest with everyone about what you do and do NOT know, you will get along and people will fall over themselves to help.

Good luck.

Thank Post
    I am a quick learner; I pick up new skills very quickly and I can assimilate new products and service information very quickly. I have the aptitude to interpret user requirements and provide a viable solution. Through my academic life I have studied IT and have picked up some very important skills and I am constantly learning new things in relation to IT.

I would be able to learning on the job and building on the experiences and skills I already posses.

Thanks for the reply

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I got my first IT job at a school as a technician and met the Network Manager via a forum like this, meet up at the school, had a chat got the job!

Thank Post
    Hey Graduate, sometimes you really have to be in the right place at the right time(!), no doubt easier said than done. I spent many years in trying to secure a IT position, and finally after a long wait and plenty of paitence....it finally paid off. in the meantime I done work with a local charity for free and learned a great deal there, enrolled on a MCSE couse, which I highlighted on my cv. To further support you cv and give you a bit of leverage I would suggest (time permitting and cost as well) that you get on a course like A+ or MCSE etc and this also helps. I know a few companies that offer job support after completing your training if that helps. If you need some names PM me. Some guys dont share the same view, but sometimes you need to create a strong foundation for yourself and dont just rely on you luck. Trust me, if my luck was that good I would have won the lottery by now !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast