+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, New ICT Support Technician - Needs Advice - Please in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I was a returner to work after about 10 years out of IT - and a lot happens in IT ...
    Thank Post
    I was a returner to work after about 10 years out of IT - and a lot happens in IT in 10 years! I borrowed books from the library (the Dummies series in particular) and generally researched as much as possible. I have been lucky in that our school network has kind of grown with me in the last six years, but edugeek has been really really brilliant and I have learnt so much from this site. You might also want to check out these two websites, which have a lot of useful info and some free training stuff too:

Free Computer Training Videos from Train Signal Training | Train Signal Training - Free Computer Training Videos

Welcome to Petri.co.il by Daniel Petri

2. Thanks to Andie from:

james_richards (18th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graduate View Post
    James Richard,

With minimum experience how did you get this ICT Technician Job?
    Im really struggling at the moment nones giving me the chance?

Please Help.
    I am a recent graduate, was strugulled to get a job, been to several interviews but no luk, coz no experience, i explored my way with starting as a volunteer Techie in a school where i disqualified in interview. now i got a job just started Jan 5th, im get to know about school environment and develope my learning process,
    Edugeek is there always,

Thank Post
    I started as an apprentice and am still working towards any 'real' qualifications. I have had various jobs including an Assistant Network Manager and Network Manager and these were given to me due to my experience.

If I was sifting through job applications I think I'd be more swayed towards experience than qualifications.

As people have said, if you can't get a job go knocking on doors volunteering your time. You then have qualifications AND experience

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by james_richards View Post
    Hi all,

Recently I have got a job as a ICT Support Technician in a secondary school and I start on Wednesday 28th January 2009. I do not have solid knowledge about networking, hardware and software in schools. Can someone please give me website links, book names or your own knowledge were I can gain good knowledge from.

Can someone please help me out.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

James

You got the job, well done! They obviously saw something in you or you wouldn't have the job.

CertForums is a great forum for advise etc in how to progress your career and learning. somabc gave you loads of great links though there.

I would start working towards your MCSA with CompTIA A+ & N+ as electives then as soon as you can upgrade to the latest microsoft certifications with the upgrade exam. Maybe your school could help towards the books/cd's.

Home learning btw will save you alot of dosh. Even 30 minutes a night is better than nothing.

Anyway nowa days personally I think you need a good mix of qualifications, experiance and perhaps academic qualification! Though experiance usually owns all. Its hard to get ahead nowa days and anything you can do, to get your name standing out the better. Just don't get paper certed only!
    Last edited by Jiser; 13th January 2009 at 09:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    ..... if you can't get a job go knocking on doors volunteering your time. You then have qualifications AND experience
    touchť , thats exactly what i did, i knocked on doors, i cold called poeple, i did everything possible to get in front of poeple. In this day and age sending a electronic CV just isnt enough. Either you can leave your future in the hands of some greedy little recruitment agent who is equally happy when you get a job and even happier when you lose it so that he can replace you elsewhere.... or you take your future in your own hands and go knocking.

thats my opionion anyway

have a good day and happy hunting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by james_richards View Post
    Hi all,

Recently I have got a job as a ICT Support Technician in a secondary school and I start on Wednesday 28th January 2009. I do not have solid knowledge about networking, hardware and software in schools. Can someone please give me website links, book names or your own knowledge were I can gain good knowledge from.

Can someone please help me out.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

James
    This REALLY concerns me!

IT techs in schools get a bad rep from teachers, who often think their the only professionals in the world, never mind the school!

A tech needs to be knowledgeable, confident and be able to stand up for him (or her!! Sorry Witch ;-) )

Teachers have low opinions of non teaching staff, especially techs, so by employing someone who doesn't have a clue, re-enforces the stereotype!

With your lack of knowledge, they should have taken you on as a trainee, and the staff understand that you are there to learn the ropes!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    This REALLY concerns me!
    Teachers have low opinions of non teaching staff, especially techs, so by employing someone who doesn't have a clue, re-enforces the stereotype!
    Honestly never had that problem at either High School I've worked for.

Thank Post
    The 1st place I worked at was like that, and the last school I was at got a new head who had that attitude.

It is prevelant in many school.

The Them and Us attitude.

Thank Post
    Thank You Andie for the useful links i really appreciate it.

Thank Post
    unfortunately it is very much a catch 22 situation, you cant get a job because you dont have the experience so how do you get experience ?

Doing some unpaid work involving IT showing you are willing to work, whilst at the same time you are gaining experience. I can understand where some people say that qualifications are not that relevant, BUT having qualifications like A+/MCSE/MCSA etc does put you in a different league when you are looking to move up the ladder onto bigger things. I am working as a technician at the moment, but at the same time am working through the qualifications as well. So far I have graduated, currently working on the experience bit with evening study for my MCSE/MCSA classification, so am trying to build on my experience as well as my qualifications bit. So try and get the best of both worlds and get qualified as well!. Good luck

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproofbaba View Post
    unfortunately it is very much a catch 22 situation, you cant get a job because you dont have the experience so how do you get experience ?

Doing some unpaid work involving IT showing you are willing to work, whilst at the same time you are gaining experience. I can understand where some people say that qualifications are not that relevant, BUT having qualifications like A+/MCSE/MCSA etc does put you in a different league when you are looking to move up the ladder onto bigger things. I am working as a technician at the moment, but at the same time am working through the qualifications as well. So far I have graduated, currently working on the experience bit with evening study for my MCSE/MCSA classification, so am trying to build on my experience as well as my qualifications bit. So try and get the best of both worlds and get qualified as well!. Good luck
    I would have to disagree that having A+/MCSE/MCSA puts you in a different league, its great if you ahve the qualifications but when it comes to crunch time of doing a task at the standard of a A+/MCSE/MCSA can this person do it?

I remember one guy I used to work with who had everything from Cisco, Citrix to Microsoft qualifications etc etc and another guy who had a good load of experience, when both guys were given a task the guy with the most experience got it done correctly, where as the qualification guy well tbo didnt have a clue where to start or anything.

Plus when Im interviewing people for a IT Technician role or Senior Role I dont even bother looking at the qualifications, experience experience experience or if its a young guy looking for work who trying to break in but has a basic understanding of it all then thats good enough for me, I tend to go very deep into conversation with them on what they've done, going into detail if they they under how it works etc etc.

Every single job I've gone for or seen people go for I know within the IT Inductry just dont care if you have A+/MCSE/MCSA/CCNA etc etc etc

Regards.
    Last edited by IanT; 20th January 2009 at 12:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indeed. I get to sit on a lot of job panels and thorough questioning often weeds out the unsuitable candidate, qualified or not. With several questions you can always find out who is bluffing, even if they do all have interview nerves. Once you get a knowledgeable person who is nervous talking their experiance it begins to shine through. Someone who knows very little will still fail to shine and for some reason we often get some who are at the interview with completely the wrong set of quals. What Cisco quals have to do with managing a Windows network I don't know. Perhaps training companies should advise their clients a bit better!

Thank Post
    for all thoese looking for job look on reed.co.uk orjobsgopublic.com.

Thank Post
    I agree with you IanT, BUT if you read my post, I mention that HAVING or WORKING TOWARDS a qualification would be beneficial and NOT neccessary! If you look at any job website and see job requirements for strong upper management positions you will find that they DESIRE a certain level of qualifications, but this necessarily is not the only requirement. Simply reading up and then taking exams for cisco etc doesnt neccessary mean that you understand it, having experience is just as vital - this is the catch 22 situation. Why do you think that people with MCSE/CISCO etc etc earn more money than people with no qualifications ? this can be tested on any job website.

Thank Post
    Read up on the Becta Framework for ICT Technical Support (FITS) pocket book.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast