+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, All Day Interview! in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I have an interview next week for an Information Services Manager post. I received a letter today inviting me to ...

Thank Post

All Day Interview!

I have an interview next week for an Information Services Manager post.

I received a letter today inviting me to interview but was quite shocked to read it will last all day . Throughout the day as well as the conventional interview i have a written test and have to give a presentation.

Unfortunately i have no idea what topic the test or presentation are on so can do very little in preparation etc. Has anyone had an interview of this nature before and if so do you have any words of advice?!

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    scary!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

I received a letter today inviting me to interview but was quite shocked to read it will last all day . Throughout the day as well as the conventional interview i have a written test and have to give a presentation.

Unfortunately i have no idea what topic the test or presentation are on so can do very little in preparation etc. Has anyone had an interview of this nature before and if so do you have any words of advice?!
    I should imagine that the test will revolve around your knowledge/role as an Information Services Manager. As for the presentation, only you can choose the subject (if they haven't given you a list of what they might like to see). If the presentation is time limited, i.e. no longer than 5 minutes, make sure that it doesn't go over the 5 minutes. Rehearse it until you get it right. I have seen interviews where the interviewee has been cut off at the time limit. Be aware that in this situation you may get a warning that you've "only a minute left", which can put some candidates off their stride.
    Imagine yourself sitting in the interviewer's chair, what sort/type of presentation do you think would be of interest to you (considering the job spec)?
    Can you prepare material for use in the presentation, e.g. project it via a laptop/pc?
    HTH

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

No doubt you will just get the presentation on the day and have to write it and present it there - when I've had to do that in the past they given prep time. The test could be technical or not. I had an all dayer once where the test involved them wheeling in the technicians I would manage and asking me to chair a team meeting with them to discuss a specific set of issues I was given - all while watched by 8 people from heads of other departments to directors.

My advice is to try and keep calm, be yourself and think before you speak. Presumably you are up to the job in your mind so just prove it to the panel.

Best of luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    As for the presentation, only you can choose the subject (if they haven't given you a list of what they might like to see). If the presentation is time limited, i.e. no longer than 5 minutes, make sure that it doesn't go over the 5 minutes.
    I suspect he'll be given the topic on the day and then given time to prepare.

Thank Post
    thanks, very useful advice

i am given the presentation topic on the day and am given time to prepare. the time limit is 15 minutes so i am hoping it is a topic i am comfortable with otherwise it will be a long 15 mins!

Thank Post
    I had a similar interview a few months ago, the presentation was on writing a 3 year development plan. Whatever the subject my advice would be don't get too specific...you can't know about there network/dept and how it operates so stick to general themes and best practise ( I got offered the job by the way!).

Thank Post
    will bear that in mind, thanks

Thank Post
    Most interviews have have gone for have been all day events apart from an interview that I went to @ Ford Motor Co which was a six stage interview with all stages lasting 1 full day so in essence a 1 week interview

Got the job though

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread