+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Average Salary for ICT Technician in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hey Guys - First timer here. I currently work as an ICT Technician in the city of Brum in the ...

Thank Post

Cool Average Salary for ICT Technician

Hey Guys - First timer here.

I currently work as an ICT Technician in the city of Brum in the midlands.
    Came across this website and am very impressed as I didnt know of any IT forums specific to education apart from good old BECTA's website where I got some basic information on FITS - The school ITIL Framework.

They mention four differen types of technician:
    (a) Teaching Assistant
    (b) ICT Technician
    (c) Senior ICT Technician
    (d) Network Manager

My question relates to what do you think should be the average salary for (b) who does basic 1st / 2nd line support? In effect this person, resolves most I.T issues apart for 3rd line network stuff which is dealt by (d).

I have seen adverts posted from 14k to 18k across the UK.

I know salary varies from location, pro-rata, full/part time but what is the bog standard salary that a credible technician shouldnt go below? I feel sorry for some folks on a mediocre 12k.

brumboy.

Thank Post
    It varies greatly, a quick nose through the section you've posted in here will yield some results.

Thank Post
    There's also a lot of variation in weeks worked. My contract is term time + 15 days (5 of which are TED) The salary for my scale is multiplied by a little over 0.9.

Thank Post
    May be useful. Not education-specific, but still a decent information source.

IT Jobs Watch, Tracking the IT Job Market

Thank Post
    They mention four different types of technician:
    (a) Teaching Assistant
    (b) ICT Technician
    (c) Senior ICT Technician
    (d) Network Manager
    OK obviously this varies greatly depending on where you are in the country, but I will base this on the maximum salary I have ever seen for these roles.

a) £12k
    b) £15k-20k
    (there are posts that pay more but you would likely be doing the work of c/d so the job title ICT Tech is misapplied above £20k IMHO)

c) £20k-28k
    d) £28k-40k+

Thank Post
    there are two factors that affect this. 1 is where abouts in the country you are, and the second is the size of the school and for network managers the size of the team you manager and whether you have stratigic responsibilities or even a senior management post within the school all come into play.

The top salery I've seen for a network manager was £40k for a large secondary school, the worst for a network manager was £22k

For technicians it varys a lot, again dependant on size of school and team you're part of. The worst I've seen was a mere £12k the best about £24k

senior technician is a post that generally only exists within larger teams, my last school I was effectively the senior technician, although my job title was different to try and avoid deviding the team, it was something like ICT development engineer. The salery for posts like this is generally about £2-3k above the technicians, but can be more depending on the exact responsibilities of the role.

It would be good if some proper research was carried out into the average saleries of ICT technicians and network managers in schools, as the guidence from BECTA is very sketchy when it comes to actual saleries, and even within the city I work in it varys enomously between schools that are within a few miles radius of each other.

Mike.

7. Thanks to maniac from:

L_Smith (7th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    OK obviously this varies greatly depending on where you are in the country
    It certainly does vary greatly.

Down here in Devon its more like

ICT Tech: 14K-16K
    Senior ICT Tech: 16K-18K
    Network Manager: 19K-22K

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    IT Technicians in my school are comparatively well paid, starting at around £23-£24k.

The money for this comes partly from being a well-funded Foundation school, and partly from the fact that we contract out to other local schools who either have no IT staff of their own, or have a technician but no NM, so we bring in revenue to the school that supplements the money we get from the normal pot.

The downside of this is that when I was promoted into a newly-created 'senior tech' role last spring, I was told there was no extra money for it and was awarded only a token pay increase. The difference between my salary and that of the two technicians I line manage is about £1k.

I am pretty sure the NM earns around £35k but he's one of those people who refuses to discuss how much he earns.

Thank Post
    There is a very wide variation in the job description of ICT Technicians.

For example how big is the school, no of pupils, no of staff, no of computers/servers, use of virtualiazation, services provided- could be some or all of these: MIS/Email/Web/Active Directory/Filtering/Network/Security/VLE etc.

Then you have to consider the size of the team, who do you report to, who do you line manage (if anyone). What control of the budget do you have, how much impact do you have on the development of new teaching styles eg IWB's.

Then consider is there backup from the LA/or contracted Suppliers. Do you have to manage these relationships?

Once you have the job spec from above, you have to consider what the market is in your part of the country and what pay scale is the post tied to with the LA. Is it term time or 52 weeks?

Eventually you will come to some sort of salary.

This ambiguity is supposed to be cleared up by BECTA and its framework(s) but there can still be a huge variety in the Job Description and Salary.
    Last edited by somabc; 29th December 2008 at 08:21 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread