+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Which Career? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by tmcd35 I tried plumbing once - nearly electrocuted myself! I deserve a life time ban from B&Q ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I tried plumbing once - nearly electrocuted myself! I deserve a life time ban from B&Q - not one for the whole DIY thing...
    Not sure who said it originally but I re call someone stating that you are not a qualified electrician until you get electrocuted a few times - so maybe plumbing wasn't your niche lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Hi, after working for a College for 2 years, it has now been decided by the powers that be, that my Job is to made redundant..
    Now these are the qualifications I presently have, I would like to resit the N+ course ( after failing it by a mere 5 points!!) but I don't know who's running the course in Northants.
    Anyhow these are my qualifications, which career path should I go down? or do I need to study more?? Please Help!
    A+
    MCDST
    MCP
    CLAIT
    ECDL
    NVQ customer service
    plus odd learndirect courses in the past, including:
    Network Essentials
    Hardware Essentials
    IT troubleshooting
    Network troubleshooting
    Customer service
    Hardware Fundamentals
    Software Fundamentals
    Network Fundamentals

Cheers! Bob
    As someone else has said, what do you get the most reward from doing ?

I think at this stage experience is of more value to you than more studying.
    The ideal is to get an employer willing to invest in your training in their time.

You've had two years of experience in IT service delivery, you should have been exposed to various aspects of the field.....so if you've kept your eyes and ears open, what do you see as growth/demand areas and which of these areas can you devote enough time and energy into pursuing to forge a successful career ?

Your next move should be one where you'll get some exposure to enterprise IT practice. But i see some clear trends. And these are areas where you can dip your toe into as they feature in the IT plans of 99% of organisations;

Integrating IT into the building fabric. The idea of Smart building systems.

Virtualization. Doing more with less in a smaller footprint.

VDI computing. Seems impossible to mention this without a nod to blades and
    server virtualization products.

Increasing role of Macs in the enterprise. IT's not all bad as you can legitimately call yourself a unix guru.

SANs and Disaster Recovery/Backup operations.....these are major investment areas in large biz and have found their way into the lower end with iSCSI and NAS. Build yourself a cheap NAS filer and understand the protocols.

Ongoing moves towards VoIP and converged communications (think OCS.)
    Integration of legacy PBXes with newer VoiP infrastructure. Legacy PBXes seem to be an all pervasive throwback that medium and large business are loathe to ditch.

All-Pervasive impact of MOSS 2007. Being a moss only guy would bore me to distraction (as would any role where your dealing exclusively in M$ currency)
    but you can keep it interesting with work that integrates it with other parts of the MS Back office.

Data Center design and Computer room design.

There's loads more such as more traditional roles such as DBA's and AD admins, and ofcourse you can have exposure of the lot throughout your career as a general IT bod but i've picked out ones that i think provide good career prospects and could keep you interested. It is incredibly hard to maintain the various areas of interest when your doing general IT support. Especially as vendors seem determined to offer an ever broader portfolio of products and want to stick aggressively to shorter times between major releases.

Thank Post
    Hi Ken, Did you send that form off? Idb e interested tohave a look!!
    Bob
    Bit slow this morning (must be the frost), what form?

-Ken

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    Bit slow this morning (must be the frost), what form?

-Ken
    I seem to remember some appreniship you wrote tome about 5 days ago, i'm still interested in it - I think you sent it to my gmail ady!
    catch you later!
    Bob

Thank Post
    I seem to remember some appreniship you wrote tome about 5 days ago, i'm still interested in it - I think you sent it to my gmail ady!
    catch you later!
    Bob
    Hey mate,

Did I ask for your address? If I did then I've given it to Personnel, they'll be sending out the application pack. If I didn't you mind sending it over please?

Sorry mate

-Ken

Thank Post
    Hey mate,

Did I ask for your address? If I did then I've given it to Personnel, they'll be sending out the application pack. If I didn't you mind sending it over please?

Sorry mate

-Ken
    Hi ken, did you get my address? I sent it through your wagnerfamily.co.uk address - hope this is ok!

Thank Post
    Hi ken, did you get my address? I sent it through your wagnerfamily.co.uk address - hope this is ok!
    PM sent

-ken

8. Thanks to wagnerk from:

Bobcat (13th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    With qualifications like that you'll have no problem getting a placement elsewhere.
    I just went for an interview at a local school, here in Rushden. After a while they rang back and said " sorry, but you were insuccessful in the post, we felt that you were over qualified, any we think this job would bore you to tears in a few months" In other words, the job had already been filled by someone inside... Sigh, one minute, i'm under -qualified, the next, over - qualified!!!
    Bob

Thank Post
    What post did you go for?

-ken

Thank Post
    What post did you go for?

-ken
    I went for an IT tech job in the school, working as a tech who just fixed normal day to day problems - for example, as a test they said to me "here is a laptop bought back by one of our students, he was complaning that the laptop no longer works - can you find out what the problem might be? I noitced that when I booted up the machine,an error message came up - no operating system found. I turned the laptop over, and discovered that the HDD was removed - piece of p**s.... I should have realised then... that I was too expericenced!!! LOL!!!
    Bob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12