+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Discussion about NM job in Leics in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Not for that wage I'm afraid its far too low even with pay award pending!!...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

Discussion about NM job in Leics

Not for that wage I'm afraid its far too low even with pay award pending!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Not for that wage I'm afraid its far too low even with pay award pending!!
    You must get paid too much then, i don't make 20,000

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    It depends what you call too much for the role of "strategic leader of ICT" and all the responsibilities that go with the job.
    Even for a Network Manager it is too little for the skill set involved. You wouldn't pay a skilled teacher with 10 years experience 20,000 per annum otherwise you wouldn't get good teaching.
    It's the same in any professional body, you only get what you pay for and it is because IT is only now being recognised in education as being a professional role that the rates of pay are increasing.
    If people are accepting peanuts in pay then that is up to them to negotiate a better pay scale for the work that they do their responsibilities and the schools achievements through the IT within the school.

Thank Post
    I think we should stop discussing the salary (or lack thereof) in this forum.

There are only two factors that determine salaries

1) the local market

2) the value of your skill set

If they can hire you at 20k and they are happy with your performance then they will do so.

a) If they are not happy with your performance they will need to re-advertise and offer a better salary until they find someone.

b) If they are happy with your performance but you believe you have a skill set that can earn you more elsewhere then you will leave leading to
    situation a)

The trouble is schools have fairly arbitrary pay scales that are set in stone by the LA. Whoever they hire will be on LCC Grade 9 regardless of their skills / qualifications / experience. IT needs to have more flexible pay levels IMHO
    Last edited by somabc; 23rd September 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mwnci View Post
    Hi all - I'm leaving my current post as I'm moving to Cornwall. Anyone want to replace me?

Network Manager
    Humphrey Perkins High School, Barrow Upon Soar, Leicestershire
    LCC Grade 9: 21,411 to 23,682 (pay award pending)
    Full-Time 37 hours per week

We require a versatile, self motivated, enthusiastic and committed person to manage our I.T. networks. The successful candidate will be required to assist the leadership group in strategically developing the whole school I.T. based infrastructure, as well as carry out a small amount of teaching/instructing, when required. If you have excellent knowledge and skills in I.T. and are a good communicator please apply.

Click here for more info and application form
    As someone said local market and all for Leicestershire that is good...

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    The trouble is schools have fairly arbitrary pay scales that are set in stone by the LA.
    No they aint. The HT can pay whatever he wants (within reason). I can give you an example of 2 schools only a mile apart with a differance in pay of 10k for the same job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sticking my head in quickly ... we have been through this before.

A job advert is a job advert. After the last few it was said that members should use the advert thread to discuss the advert and ask questions about the job, but do a separate discussion to discuss things you don't like or want to pick apart.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    I think we should stop discussing the salary (or lack thereof) in this forum.

There are only two factors that determine salaries

1) the local market

2) the value of your skill set

If they can hire you at 20k and they are happy with your performance then they will do so.
    The problem with school environments is the the technical level of teachers and esp experienced teachers (read: management) is SO LOW that the skills of a 20k market value (real world) technician FAR EXCEED their own skills so it appears good value.

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    No they aint. The HT can pay whatever he wants (within reason). I can give you an example of 2 schools only a mile apart with a differance in pay of 10k for the same job.
    Most employment contracts are with the LA, and if schools do this they open themselves up for equal pay claims. If (in your example) one person is a different sex/ethnicity/age/disabled status then they'll easily win an equal pay claim provided they can prove the jobs are broadly similar (similar level of responsibility). equal pay claims can be backdated 6 yrs.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 24th September 2008 at 08:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Most employment contracts are with the LA,
    Well mine isn't - it's with the school as I think are other colleagues in this area. I certainly know there is a difference between what the IT Managers at the schools in this area are paid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Well mine isn't - it's with the school as I think are other colleagues in this area. I certainly know there is a difference between what the IT Managers at the schools in this area are paid.
    But who are you payed by? If your payed by the Local Authority, then the schools must accept their equal opportunities policy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    But who are you payed by? If your payed by the Local Authority, then the schools must accept their equal opportunities policy.
    I am paid by the school. We outsource the actual payroll function to Capita but the wages are paid by the school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread