Educational IT Jobs Thread, Head of Computer Services - Manchester in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Head of Computer Services at Manchester Grammar School (Go to The Manchester Grammar School - Welcome to The Manchester Grammar ...
12th September 2008, 10:02 PM #1
Head of Computer Services - Manchester
Head of Computer Services at Manchester Grammar School (Go to The Manchester Grammar School - Welcome to The Manchester Grammar School and click Vacancies to download an application pack)
The Manchester Grammar School is seeking to recruit a Head of Computer Services. The postholder will be responsible for a team of 4 staff. The main features of the post are shown below:
• Structuring and managing day-to-day operation of services.
• Line-managing other ICT support staff. (x4 including a Network Engineer and Network Administrator)
• Strategic advice and planning, including budgetary considerations.
• Managing the development and expansion of the ICT estate.
• Guiding the school on the potential and feasibility of new technologies, and supporting the introduction of learning resources.
• Project proposals and costing.
• Project execution – procurement, management, delegation.
• Overseeing technical maintenance of school databases such as the schools MIS. (SIMS.net) and Library catalogue software (Eclipse)
• Resourcing and testing new systems/software.
• Overseeing and/or undertaking technical tasks such as server installation and configuration, including firewalls and email servers.
• Designing and implementing cabling, hardware and software infrastructure. (with 3rd party advice)
• Liaising with 3rd party companies and escalating issues as appropriate.
• Monitoring appropriate usage and dealing with infringements. (via referring on where appropriate)
• Monitoring the health of the network; e.g. Rate of hardware failure and availability of spare parts, network bandwidth bottlenecks, space usage and security.
• Monitoring of service-desk functionality, pre-empting and dealing with escalations.
• Maintaining an up to date inventory of the ICT estate, including licenses.
• Producing audits and reports on ICT usage and costs.
• Membership of the schools ICT Steering Committee.
• Helping to ensure (in consultation with Bursar and others) that the school complies with relevant health and safety regulations, software licensing requirements, acceptable use policies and current legislation such as the Children Act, the Data Protection Act and the Copyright Act; assisting where necessary in the development of policy in these areas.
The ability to undertake autonomous assimilation of advance skills is expected, together with an appreciation of issues involved when considering in-house development instead of off-the-shelf solutions. An advanced knowledge and understanding of the following areas will be needed.
• Windows XP workstations. Windows servers including SQL and Exchange servers.
• PC/Server hardware.
• Unattended station build and software deployment.
• TCP/IP, DHCP/DNS, SMTP, RAID.
• Active Directory and the use of Group Policies for implementing station and server security for roaming users.
• Cabling and switch schematics and the use of managed switches.
• Back-up procedures and software, anti-virus protection, firewalls.
• Software for the monitoring and security of the network, internet and e-mail use.
• Intranet and internet provision.
Current Network Infrastructure
The school is an RM CC3 site which has approx 1900 users and over 500 networked computers. (Including laptops)
X3 Domain Controllers
X1 Exchange 2003 Server
X1 Member Server (MIS)
X5 Various servers
X1 ZyWall Firewall
The network infrastructure is made up of HP Procurve managed switches and we also and a Trapeze wireless network that delivers wireless access for laptops and is the backbone for our electronic registration system.
We use Symantec Backup Exec as our backup solution.
Terms and Conditions of Service include the following:
The postholder will be part of the school support staff and will report to the Bursar who has a responsibility for all support staff and will be the main point of contact for any contractual matters. In addition the postholder will liaise with the Deputy High Master on technical and strategic matters.
This is a full time post. The annual holiday entitlement will be 21 days per year, increasing to 26 days after a five year period. In addition, there are various school closure dates throughout the year, including all bank holidays and various other dates when the whole school is closed. Holidays will need to be arranged at a time that is convenient to the school.
A normal working week is 35 hours, although the postholder will be expected to be flexible about hours depending on the needs of the school. Overtime will only be payable for this post in very exceptional circumstances.
The starting salary will be decided at appointment, and will be in the region of £30, 000 to £33,000.
The school offers a final salary, contributory pension scheme for support staff within the school.
Applicants should note that employment within the school is subject to an enhanced criminal background check and the receipt of satisfactory references.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 24th September.
Application forms should be sent to :
Mrs Tina Burkinshaw
The Manchester Grammar School
Old Hall Lane
Telephone 0161 224 7201
Fax 0161 257 2446
IDG Tech News
By andy_white in forum Educational IT Jobs
Last Post: 7th August 2008, 09:57 AM
By Gatt in forum General Chat
Last Post: 3rd August 2008, 03:00 AM
By philtomo-25 in forum General Chat
Last Post: 23rd May 2008, 06:44 PM
By Tiger in forum MIS Systems
Last Post: 23rd April 2008, 11:33 PM
By StewartKnight in forum Educational IT Jobs
Last Post: 15th February 2006, 01:04 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)