+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Trainee Managers at Aldi in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Currrently advertising for the above at our local branch. Salary 33K rising to 45 :?...

Thank Post

Trainee Managers at Aldi

Currrently advertising for the above at our local branch. Salary 33K rising to 45 :?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Currrently advertising for the above at our local branch. Salary 33K rising to 45 :?
    Sounds good on paper, but I know the sort of stuff you have to deal with as a manager of one of their stores (not me, but a close friend worked for them for a while) it's not the most pleasant of environments or jobs, that's why they pay so well!

Retail management in general is not as easy as people think, I got as far as a deputy store manager for a well known company, and the amount you had to do even at that level was astounding. I left and took a massive paycut to work in IT support instead, not sure which is the lesser of the two evils

Mike

Thank Post
    They're advertising at a store near me too. I think they should hire some more till staff while they're at it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    They're advertising at a store near me too. I think they should hire some more till staff while they're at it.
    Aldi's method is to keep costs down, this means very few staff, sometimes only 5 say on at any time for 1 supermarket. The food gets loaded off the truck and put into the supermarket still on the pallet.

You could make more money if you stick at IT I think than retail management, but if you like working with people and variety then go for it.

Don't go for supermarket manager get into the Regional Manager scheme (boss of a few supermarket managers) that is also widely advertised, more money, and a better car. Starting salary 40k and an Audi A6.
    Aldi Recruitment :: Rewards

Personally I feel that any company that has to advertise a particular car is a waste of time(look a shiny Audi), if you were hot stuff they would let you negotiate whatever remuneration package you wanted. In fact if you were hot stuff and could take your pick of leading companies the I bet you wouldn't work for Aldi!
    Last edited by somabc; 25th July 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Thank Post
    I have no plans to apply for any of the advertised positions. I'm happy with what I have at the moment.

What's wrong with Aldi though? You make it seem like it's not a nice place.

Thank Post
    I have no plans to apply for any of the advertised positions. I'm happy with what I have at the moment.

I'm not saying its not a nice place to work, just that its a discount supermarket (the clue is in the name ALbrecht DIscount). I might wonder if they take moneysaving too far so it affects staff but who knows? Only someone who works there would know for sure, hopefully they are not like Walmart?

BBC News | UK | Damages for sacked HIV manager

ALDI Group Company Profile - Yahoo! Finance
    ALDI keeps it cheap so shoppers can, too. How has discount food retailer ALDI Group become one of the world's biggest grocery chains, running about 8,500 stores worldwide? By offering deeply discounted prices on about 1,300 popular food items (a typical grocery store has 30,000). ALDI (short for "Albrecht Discounts") buys cheap land mostly on city outskirts, builds cheap warehouses, employs a tiny staff, and carries mostly private-label items, displaying them on pallets rather than shelves. ALDI has about 900 stores in more than 25 US states, but Germany (where ALDI has a network of some 4,200 stores) accounts for about two-thirds of sales. Brothers and co-founders Theo and Karl Albrecht own the company.
    Last edited by somabc; 25th July 2008 at 11:55 PM.

Thank Post

It is what it is, as somabc has said the more aspirational roles are in regional management or team lead roles in the head office.

When i worked at another high street retailer, the store manager was not the best gig in town. Status wise they are only just above normal full-time stuff, they are rewarded better than FT stuff but the crap they have to deal with is not worth the package on offer. It's even worse at somewhere like Aldi because of the lack of staff meaning you'll often see the manager 'mucking in'.

Most store managers i came across had their eyes firmly on head office roles. It's always the way, as a store manager your far removed from what's actually going on within the company - the people in head office are the ones directing the show - doing the planning and strategising. Store managers are just following out instructions AND they have the additional PITA of having to deal with customers.... urghhh!!!

An IT or business analysis role in the HQ of a major high street retailer is more preferable to being a store manager, whether that's Tesco, Aldi, woolies or HSBC. For many ordinary bods, starting off on the shop floor or in store trainee roles is the only route to a senior role in HQ....but if your hot stuff from another industry or a IT graduate you could get straight into head office.

Regional manager isn't a bad gig, but there are more promotional paths available at HQ.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread