+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, And i thought we were badly done by... in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post

And i thought we were badly done by...

Just seen a job advirtised at my school for an Arts Technician. Nothing fancy, just help out with the paints and stuff.

Term time only, 8h pw flexibility essential (ie not 1 8h day per week, but an hour here, 2 hours there). = £2500pa lmao! I mean come on, thats £50pw. You get more on the dole!

Saying that though its the same grade I am on. FFS id say i should be payed more than someone whos biggest responsibility is keeping an eye on the finger paints!

Thank Post
    I hate to rub salt in, but that's probably even more than you thought -

Term Time only = 39 weeks
    8hrs x 39 = 312 hrs per year

£2500 / 312 = £8 per hour

That's equivalent of £15417pa (for 37hrs per week)

Thank Post
    For 1 day of work, for someone maybe who works part time elsewhere (and it seems quite simple), might be a nice little earner.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It will be ideal for someone who is in retirement that wants something to do. If you have a private pension you can claim that and have a job to keep you busy.

Thank Post
    Saying that though its the same grade I am on. FFS id say i should be payed more than someone whos biggest responsibility is keeping an eye on the finger paints!
    Why? They're keeping a department running just like you are. So be it if all they do is order pains and wash brushes. If those paints weren't ordered and the brushes weren't washed then the department wouldn't run smoothly.

Yes I appreciate that you work on a larger scale and your job probably effects more than one department in the school but I still think that arts technicians are just as important as any other technician.

Thank Post
    Yeah, not a bad little earner...8 hours a week is perfect as a 'second job' for a bit of extra pocket money....just a shame most of these jobs want you to be 'flexible'. Would only consider an extra job if it were between 5pm-9pm a couple of evenings a week and/or weekends.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    That's equivalent of £15417pa (for 37hrs per week)
    You are right

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    For 1 day of work, for someone maybe who works part time elsewhere (and it seems quite simple), might be a nice little earner.
    Point being they want someone to do an hour here, an hour there. Not 1 full day/2 half days etc, which would imo be perfectly acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Why? They're keeping a department running just like you are.
    Are you on a wind up or are you being serious? We've never had an Arts technician before now so its obvious we dont need one. Besides, are you comparing my skill set (CCNA, server2k3, *nix, web design, A/V, etc) to that of a guy who orders paints? The school is hardly going to grind to a halt if they are missing the tartan paint, but it will if the network went down.

Personally i think its not a bad job for, as FN-Greatermanchester said, a little old lady who lives round the corner who just wants something to do in her spare time, but if i was HT i would feel ashamed of myself if i made her come in for silly hours for £50pw*, thats where the problem lies for me; "flexible hours". You'd have a hard task holding up another job if they kept asking you to come in every other day for an hour or 2s work.

*i based the figure on payed weekly over the course of a year.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 17th June 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Are you on a wind up or are you being serious? We've never had an Arts technician before now so its obvious we dont need one. Besides, are you comparing my skill set (CCNA, server2k3, *nix, web design, A/V, etc) to that of a guy who orders paints? The school is hardly going to grind to a halt if they are missing the tartan paint, but it will if the network went down.
    Well I don't know the current staffing situation at your school so I couldn't even begin to comment on whether or not you need an arts technician. I'm not putting your skills down either as I'm sure you're extremely qualified and you've worked hard to get those qualifications. That said, if you want to earn more than what you're currently being paid then why not find another job? With respect there are a lot of people on here who complain about what they're paid and then there are a lot of people who don't. If you have those qualifications and you feel that you aren't being paid enough to reflect that then why not just find another job?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    You are right

Point being they want someone to do an hour here, an hour there. Not 1 full day/2 half days etc, which would imo be perfectly acceptable.

Personally i think its not a bad job for, as FN-Greatermanchester said, a little old lady who lives round the corner who just wants something to do in her spare time, but if i was HT i would feel ashamed of myself if i made her come in for silly hours for £50pw*, thats where the problem lies for me; "flexible hours". You'd have a hard task holding up another job if they kept asking you to come in every other day for an hour or 2s work.

*i based the figure on payed weekly over the course of a year.
    LOL @ the tartan paint line.

Agree with you about flexible hours....flexible for a piddly little job like cutting the grass or pruning the flowers or ordering tins of paint should be flexible in favour of the worker - unfortunately the demands of employers these days even for minimum wage positions is such that it's very difficult to do a part-time job and full-time job that don't conflict.

When i was at uni i worked part-time for a well-known retailer, i had set hours of a couple of evenings a week and all day sunday....but i did very little if any overtime because it was bad enough doing the jobs i was lumbered with during the hours i HAD to work....as a result you get looked over when it comes to tasks of responsibility such as being a keyholder or getting the experience in different areas of the business. I certainly felt frozen out, and as if they didn't trust me with extra responsibility and on the rare occasions subsequent when they did offer me overtime - that i was letting them down by saying no. I had no incentive to do extra hours, becuase i was not convined that they could provide that diversity of task as far as my position was concerned.

My point is that employers are happy to pay minimum wage with no career progression or opportunities for learning new skills on-the-job, while at the same time covertly expecting these employees to go the extra mile more often than not through being 'flexible'. I'm happy to be flexible in my current job because i enjoy what i do, am paid reasonable well (thought not enough to stay back regularly) and because i'm offered the opportunity for professional development. If i had none of those things, and if i wasn't trusted with responsibility.....it's a bit much for employers to say we need people available during these times and they need to be flexible blah blah blah...when they provide nothing for them beyond a basic salary.

I thought the idea of flexible was for moms to be able to pick kiddies up from school, the semi-retired an opportunity to travel a reasonable distance for a couple of hours at their convenience....whereas in a lot of cases it appears to be all about the convenince of the employer with many of these PT jobs. Which is completely the wrong way round imo, we've pandered to the needs of employers when it comes to working hours for far too long in this country.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    If you have those qualifications and you feel that you aren't being paid enough to reflect that then why not just find another job?
    Im in the process of getting another job thanks. I have only just finished my CCNA and due to family problems i cannot afford to just up and leave without considering job stability issues etc

Thank Post
    Just seen a job advirtised at my school for an Arts Technician. Nothing fancy, just help out with the paints and stuff.

Term time only, 8h pw flexibility essential (ie not 1 8h day per week, but an hour here, 2 hours there). = £2500pa lmao! I mean come on, thats £50pw. You get more on the dole!

Actually Job Seeker's Allowance is £47.50 a week, not £50. Also the ammount of pay you get those for those hours is actually quite good. Edu-IT has got a point too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roach-IT View Post
    Actually Job Seeker's Allowance is £47.50 a week, not £50.
    Oh, thanks for letting me know but i think you'll find you are wrong

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Which is completely the wrong way round imo, we've pandered to the needs of employers when it comes to working hours for far too long in this country.

Viva la Revolucion!

The bourgeoisie, wherever it has got the upper hand, has put an end to all feudal, patriarchal, idyllic relations. It has pitilessly torn asunder the motley feudal ties that bound man to his “natural superiors”, and has left remaining no other nexus between man and man than naked self-interest, than callous “cash payment”. It has drowned the most heavenly ecstasies of religious fervour, of chivalrous enthusiasm, of philistine sentimentalism, in the icy water of egotistical calculation. It has resolved personal worth into exchange value, and in place of the numberless indefeasible chartered freedoms, has set up that single, unconscionable freedom — Free Trade. In one word, for exploitation, veiled by religious and political illusions, it has substituted naked, shameless, direct, brutal exploitation.
    Last edited by somabc; 19th June 2008 at 03:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Oh, thanks for letting me know but i think you'll find you are wrong
    Technically you are both wrong:

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance

* Person aged 16-17: £35.65
    * Person aged 18-24: £46.85
    * Person aged 25 or over: £59.15

Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

Personal allowances - single people Rate

* Person aged 16-17: £35.65
    * Person aged 18-24: £46.85