+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, CV personal statement section in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Why is there this current fashion to have a personal statement as part of a CV. They always read as ...

Thank Post

CV personal statement section

Why is there this current fashion to have a personal statement as part of a CV. They always read as being a bit false, contrived. OK CVs are for selling yourself but personal statements are probably more fitting for resumes rather CVs (in Britain we don't normally do things in such a vulgar fashion).

Why can't we just stick to the facts qualifications, experience and maybe major achievements.

Thank Post
    Agree 100%. It almost like the employers are after playwrights who can string a load of bol****s together.

Just thank god this wasn't out when I was being interviewed.... I can't hardly string 2 words together.

Thank Post
    Me personally, I don't use personal statements on my CV. I send a cover letter in with my CV, that normally houses more info than 2 lines on the CV

-ken

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat View Post
    Why is there this current fashion to have a personal statement as part of a CV.
    Probably so the literacy level of the applicant can be judged. Would probably be made rather more fun by being replaced by a short story exercise.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    IT's stupid, firstly because if a recuiter is looking at a lot of applications manually they'll scan it visually to make sure the applicant meets the minimum entry requirements. You'll normally find that out in the edu, work, training ans skills bit...not in the personal statement.

As someone else has said a covering letter can elaborate on info about you or expand or include a brief personal statement.

Another thing i hate about some cv's are those that list hobbies and interests, with most cv's being 2 pages, a comprehensive work and training history would mean you didn't have the space for frivilous nonsense about what sports you do or that your a ham radio enthusiast. I don't see why any recruiter should care what an applicants hobbies and interests are...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Another thing i hate about some cv's are those that list hobbies and interests, with most cv's being 2 pages, a comprehensive work and training history would mean you didn't have the space for frivilous nonsense about what sports you do or that your a ham radio enthusiast. I don't see why any recruiter should care what an applicants hobbies and interests are...
    Agree with that statement, i mean i dont mind putting my hobbies down but i dont see how that will affect how the selection process goes. i strugle to get what i have done/currently doing on 2 pages. some things i miss off but then also thing hang on that might help. pretty crazy things thats why i dnt application forms lol as i just fill in the required information.

James.

Thank Post
    Well it would seem to me that it's delivered to students as part of vocational skills. When i was at college and uni every time they made you sit down and write a cv part of it was to write this paragraph of bullsh*t ...

I think it's ridiculous as well. To be honest i don't think you should describe yourself at all whether it be covering letter or cv, if your experience and qualifications don't get the job done there's no point being hardworking and trustworthy on paper. I think employers should try and find that out at interview combined with your references.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When weeding out candidates on of the first things I look at is the personal statement...if there is one I disregard the CV.

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was taught at secondary school that the CV should be just be a listing of personal details, qualifications, experience and references. The 'personal statement' should be a separate document sent along with the CV. The personal statement was simply what everyone would call a covering letter, and was altered according to the post you were applying for.

The only places I see advocating inclusion of a personal statement on a CV are US 'how to write a resume' sites. And the only people I've actually seen include one on their CV's were people on MBA courses... :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was never taught how to put together a CV, ended up using google

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I say this everytime I get shot down for it but will say it again best resume/cv advice I have seen is from manager tools but then how dare someone suggest a cv can be one page long.

Your Resume Stinks!
    Resume Update 2008

Runs and hides.

Russell

Thank Post
    When weeding out candidates on of the first things I look at is the personal statement...if there is one I disregard the CV.

Wes
    What?! At school/college they tell you to include a personal statement and a lot of the online examples include one too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still don't believe that you should stick to one page. Not a single personnel manager I have met has ever said this, they all say 2 pages is the ideal. One page gives the impression that you are either a) lazy and couldn't be bothered to write a proper CV or b) under qualified and don't have enough to fill 2 pages. And this goes for 5 different personnel managers in different businesses.

Put it this way, contact details for yourself and for your references take up nearly half a page on their own.

The other information on that site is faulty too - for example a commenter asks about organising a CV by skills applicable to the post (rather than in chronological order). The response was that recruiters hate it - which is simply wrong. I know of several who do like it, as it shows the person is focussing on why they are good for the job!

Thank Post
    Large organisations, particularly recruitment companies, use automatic CV readers to filter the large number of CV they receive, I suspect the personal statement is designed to seed the CV with key words and phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post

Wes
    Seems a bit harsh - unless of course you warn applicants first. If we do not offer an interview we have to be able to explain why. That there were five better applicants is acceptable, we would have a hard time explaining that it was because a personal statement had been included on their CV.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Put it this way, contact details for yourself and for your references take up nearly half a page on their own.
    Contact details are normally on the first three lines of the first page. I was advised not to include references in a CV, but to included them on a separate sheet only if requested. The references will probably be pushed out to an admin assistant to send out a reference request while the CV will be passed to HR/Management. The general advice is no more than 2 sheets i.e. if you only have one sheet there is no need to pad it out onto two.

We actually use application forms but I imagine the principle is exactly the same for CVs, we send out a job and personal specification and mark the applications against these, the applicants who score highest get an interview.

It still surprises me that the weakest applicants on paper are frequently the best candidates when we get them to interview.

Thank Post
    Well my CV must do the job, as it's got me numerous interviews and several jobs over the last 5 or 6 years. It DOESN'T have a personal statement, it is 2 pages long including names and addresses for references, and doesn't elaborate too much. I always include a single page covering letter that is usually 4 or 5 paragraphs that I write from scratch for each position I apply for.

Everything is clean, clear and simply presented in arial size 12 with size 14 in bold/underline for headings and that's it.

You can apply the KISS theory to CV's. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast